SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2002, 08:29 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Post Need some SVX info

Hey everybody. Subaru just called and they said my troubles are due to a bad MAF. I think I can get a used one no problem, but I just need to know if it's a plug and chug deal, or does some ECU work need to be done when a new sensor is installed? In other words, do I pay Subaru $80 to install the part, or do I do it myself? Thanks.

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 12-10-2002, 08:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Take the old one out and put the new one in, as far as I know. I've taken mine out of the car several times because it was in the way.

But then, I've taken it out while it was attached to the intake tubing. So there might be a gasket or some other special preparation that you 'need.'

I guess I'd disconnect the battery before removing the MAF, just to be on the safe side. I can guarantee that's advice I haven't followed in the past.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-10-2002, 09:05 AM
Green1995SVX

Mat-

All you do is put it in. There are no gaskets or anything fancy like that. Just stick the one end in the tube and attach your filter to the other. (and plug in the wires)

Mike
Old 12-10-2002, 09:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
its a DIY job,, =>
Old 12-10-2002, 10:22 AM

Sweet...now i just need to get the used MAF. I KNEW I should've bought that e-bay MAF a few months back
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 12-10-2002, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Arrow Hey Mat

Who's your buddy? I got one! PM me.

Todd
Old 12-10-2002, 02:26 PM

Todd, you are definately my buddy! I'll PM you. This whole ordeal leads me to wonder....is it the open element intake? Should I put the stock box back in and sell the KC intake to some e-bay sucker? JK about the e-bay (ooor am I?) stuff, but honestly, who thinks it is because of the open element intake?

Old 12-10-2002, 04:08 PM
Green1995SVX

Remember the discussion we had about this, Todd? Mat, we think my idle shudder might be due to the MAF, and I believe it is because of the open element. I bought a stock airbox at the local salvage facility, and put that in. I plan on replacing the MAF (as soon as I can afford one). I did notice, though, that upon putting ont he stock setup, the car feels more powerful, and is noticably faster. (Mental HP???)

Mike
Old 12-10-2002, 06:52 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Yup, sure do

If we'd been able to work out a meeting place for the bumper, maybe we could have swapped MAF sensors to verify the theory.

Mental HP. Is that kinda like Matt's (immortal) butt dyno??? Or maybe it's like Joe's (svxistentialist) trans temperature checking thumb?

Todd
Old 12-11-2002, 07:35 AM

Is it a stock airbox with stock filter, or K&N. The new info about how much gets through the high flow filters kinda bothers me. Anything on that little wire and your MAF is as good as done for. My new one has the wire mesh that I took out of the old one, so I was happy about that. Maybe protect it a little better. Maybe if I get bored today I'll search the net for info on the high flow filter types.

Old 12-11-2002, 07:45 AM
Green1995SVX

I have the stock airbox with a new Genuine Subaru element. I read the same things about high flow filters thats why I went with stock everything.

Mike
Old 12-11-2002, 05:36 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Yup, sure do

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

Mental HP. Is that kinda like Matt's (immortal) butt dyno??? Or maybe it's like Joe's (svxistentialist) trans temperature checking thumb?

Todd
The butt dyno is calibrated by actual driving and wishing you were going faster
The mental hp is calibrated by drinking and staring at pictures in a magazine reading captions that say "+15hp" and wishing you could be going faster
Neither one is worth a crap once you line up with Kim's stock svx.
I hate her car.

I'm trying to convince her that $850 Australian dollars is a really good deal for that powerchip gold that I need.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:36 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
All I can say about this (well, I could say more... ) is when a customer brings in a car with a driveabilty complaint one of the first items I check is the air filter and the amount of garbage built-up on the sensor. It is that common and it is that important. Most OEMs have a policy of warranty denial when they find a million mile' or similar filter installed. I've been findng a lot of debris coming from cheap paper flters also. The sensor will look like a spider web wrapped itself around the wire.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
All I can say about this ...snip... I've been finding a lot of debris coming from cheap paper filters also. ...snip.
Beav, I've always just used whatever paper filter was at whatever store I was, when I thought of it - not exactly a highly tuned selection method. Want to disclose any brands you have experience with being generally good (or bad)? Not trying to start anything like the Fram oil filter wars, but you probably see a lot more cars with problems in a week than I will in a couple of years.

And before people chime in with OEM, that means mail order for me, something I would like to seriously avoid. I just got $6.95 shipping for $11 worth of sway bar bushings.