Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2020, 05:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Lsvx-t

Not sure where to put this so what could be more proven than an LS swap. Been blocked from FB because someone tried to hack my account so I'll post some pics here. Making some serious headway but a lot more fun to come

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 12-21-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:01 AM

Re: Lsvx-t

Sorry to hear about your FB accounts. Glad to hear you are making headway. This will be really cool when it's done. What did you end up doing for suspension? I recall you were looking for a set of front coilovers... looks like you found a pair?

Current car: 2006 Saab 9-2x Aero, Midnight Black Mica, 180k miles, 5MT, mostly stock
Past car: 1995 Subaru Impreza wagon, EJ20G w/5MT, Koni Yellow inserts/STi wagon (GF) springs, swaybars, and other suspension goodies, STi seats
Future car: SVX, of course!
Old 12-31-2020, 12:39 PM
Maniac modifier

I ended up buying a full set of Geckos as AMR is useless to even try and contact. I took the springs and top mounts and adapted them to my 350z coilovers I am using in the rear so it makes a perfect setup. I sold the rear struts to someone who needed just rear struts so it worked out for both of us. It looks like I will only need to slightly modify a front sump aftermarket oil pan for clearance so that will save time from fabricating a whole oil pan. I have also began gather parts for the engine build which when it is done will run around 7k rpms and hold roughly 900hp which should be more than enough headroom, at least for now. My FB account has been reactivated but its not the same as the forum, so I will continue to update with progress as time goes on. Hoping to have my last driveshaft flange soon so I can get the measurements for the shop to have it made. I am currently bargain hunting for an LS-3 intake manifold and then I will start sourcing my fuel system components for the engine. I have still got to close up the trunk and measure out my fuel cell and get that ordered as well. I don't think I will run the car N/A anymore either as it will just waste energy remaking the cooling system over again to make room for a charge air cooler etc. so I think I will just forge ahead with the turbo kit fab once the engine is done and ready to go in. But even as I write this, I am not totally sold on this either so we will see when it gets closer. For now I am trying to budget my spending on this project a little rather than just burning the cash right away. Will post more when more progress is made

Tom
Old 12-31-2020, 05:42 PM

Thanks for sharing (especially since I don't Facebook). Looks like an awesome project!

I like the targets just left there, a great way to say "Don't touch!".

Happy new year!

Ian.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:01 PM
Maniac modifier

Smile Re: Lsvx-t

So only a little progress this weekend. I have started to rebuild the trans tunnel prob half a day from being completed. I'm still waiting on some parts to complete my driveshaft measurements. Once I've got that done I can pull my mock up engine and trans so I can disassemble trans and install the new tailshaft housing. I did however get my ball joints installed. Since the sti rack has 14mm inner ends and the taper diameter for the out tie rods was different I had to make something work. I found some gmc work van tie rod ends are the correct length and nearly correct pitch so with a little modification of the spindle they will work well.

More pics when I get a little further

Tom
Old 01-04-2021, 04:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Some goodies came in the mail today

Tom
Old 01-09-2021, 04:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Made my new steering joint. Finished tacking up the trans tunnel and modified my steering rack mount for oil pan clearance today

Tom
Old 01-10-2021, 08:06 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Interesting project.

What engine are you putting in?
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:01 PM
Maniac modifier

LY6 6.0l v8. Vvt deleted with a stage 2 turbo cam.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I love it!

These types of projects are few and far between. Great progress!
Old 01-24-2021, 02:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Thanks, it's been a lot of fun though very expensive and will only get more expensive as I go. I have just about wrapped up the short block. head and main studs, gapped rings, cam bearings, main and rod bearings. Just need to dress the pistons and drop them in. Have a good deal of cleaning to do with the heads, Then I can install the new springs and get those on too. I did get my driveshaft made but it's still at the shaft shop. Surprisingly cheap @ $445 for a 3.5" shaft with a slip but I spent over $300 on the yokes for the trans and diff so overall it's still pretty expensive.

The to-do list is as follows

-Finish assembling the long block
-Acquire LS3 intake
-Fuel system (rails, injectors, pumps, fuel cell)
-Turbo. Still up in the air on this right now looking at 83mm cold 75mm hot with a 1.10ar in a t4 housing
-cooling will be a multipass custom rad and as big a charge air cooler as I can fit with electric fans
-EMS is going to be a Holley Terminator X w/ dbw
-Engine accessories are up in the air too. I am debating on whether to fab in an electro-hydraulic p/s pump or stick with a mechanical pump. The mech pump does not fit the way I want without buying a $1800 kit from Holley so I am weighing my options there too. Will post more pics soon, just haven't taken any new one recently

Tom
Old 01-30-2021, 02:34 PM
Maniac modifier

Making some more progress. Pics tell the story

Tom
Old 01-31-2021, 02:54 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

That driveshaft is a thing of beauty.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:51 PM
Maniac modifier

3.5" steel with 1350 joints. I am going to build hoops front and rear just in case

Tom
Old 02-17-2021, 08:39 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Keep up the good work!