Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
backup camera wiring and mount position

This is a continuation of two other threads on backup cams. I'm putting a new head unit in, along with a backup cam. The one I bought is wide angle and license plate bracket mounted. What I've learned is that, whether the cam is at the top of the plate bracket or bottom, there is visual interference from the bumper and/or tail lights. I think that the better mounting position would be inside the trunk lid, cut a hole just below the third brake light- at least for this cam. But I'm not there yet.

QUESTION: Wiring. There are two wires coming off the 5-speed for the backup lights. The install manual says to connect to the one that changes polarity when shifted into R. One wire runs current in R so I connected to it just inside the fire wall. The other shows no change when shifting. I've tried both and get the same result. The cam comes on and stays on. I can turn it on and off manually using the head unit but I'd like to do this right. Any one done this to where you just put it in R and the cam comes on then shuts off out of R?

BTW, there are polarity settings on the head unit and each gives the same outcome.

Last edited by WYOSVX; 09-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.