Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaslar View Post
Does anybody have any experience or opinions about the Hydrosystem valve recalibration that Level 10 (levelten.com)offers?
Tom
Tom may never read this but I'm posting just for documentation purposes. Had the dealership remove mine this past Tuesday (10/23/07) and overnighted it to Level 10. Level 10 did the valve body modification Wednesday (10/24/07) and overnighted the valve body to the dealership per my instruction. The dealership received it on 10/25/07 but didn't finish until 10/26/07 (Today). So it is possible to have it completed in a 3 day period.

I asked the service tech was there any problem and did the mechanic test drive it. He looked worried and said the mechanic thought the 1st to 2nd shift was harsh. I smiled and said, 'Excellent'. We laughed but I think his was a nervous laugh. I 'test drove' my car to a dyno shop along streets and highway routes. It feels absolutely Fantastic! Shift are prompt, firm and quick in all gears. Shifts are even instant at part throttle, cruising speed. Just the way I wanted it. I am hoping for at least a 50-75lb-ft of torque and horsepower increase from the other runs I have done on the dyno, between shifts.

Is it worth the cost? Nope! Just get a tranny cooler installed if you want to try to preserve your tranny. It IS worth the cost personally for me though since I have a very high value for instant shifts. I also have no intention on every changing this tranny no matter what I throw at it and I personally believe this to be a critical factor to this. I hate to be subjective on these things but I currently have no data to show how it shifts. It sucks so here I stand. It is pouring down raining at the track and I had problems on the dyno so nothing to show. That is all for now.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 10-26-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
This is what I am thinking it will do-->

1) It will shorten the shift time between shifts by allowing the clutch packs to engage quickly rather than slipping to engage. I believe this will eliminate or dramatically shorten the 'power-loss' phenomena that a lot of us have been talking about. I don't think you need to go inside the TCU in order to do this. The only reason why I say this is because my Outback Sport shifted similarly before having the hydrosystem done,

2) It will dramatically shorten or eliminate the lean air/fuel ratio condition between shifts. I believe the TCU is telling the ECU (I am going to shift) and the ECU cuts fuel to the engine. If the TCU says (I am going to.....) then Boom, the transmission is in the next gear, the ECU will have little to no time to cut fuel to the engine.

Yes, this is my simple, no data or experience self talking but it is what I believe. I have been reading a lot on this but it still does not seem to be resolved. I believe Chike has already done something to 'firm' up the shifts between gears on my SVX but I am not seeing this on the dyno (at least not what I was expecting from a firm shift).
[/U]
I did not include #3 that I posted above because I have to see if the torque does jump up between shifts on the dyno. Have not had a chance to dyno the car since the valve body install.

Just wanted to get confirmation that if #1 and #2 is the case (I don't have the car in my hands now). Will the valve body solve the problem of slow shifts (Bypassing whatever the ECU is doing as the theory goes)? People have been talking about this for years and I have been staying 'mum' for a while. If you see this, please let the folks on the site know. Thanks!
***R.I.P***
Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Well having driven SEVERAL svxi... This is by far the quickest shifting one I have ever driven. Granted the 4.44 trans shifts a little faster than stock, this valve body shifts like Lightning. Not really too uncomfortable but just quick and responsive. I cannot wait to see what this will do WOT at the track... I have only been able to drive it on the streets, and I do not stress test customer cars on the street to their full capabilities... More to come after Sunday

Tom
Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
How much does the upgraded valvebody cost? I should get one...

Nm... i'm going 5 speed soon anyway
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Agreed. Shifts are very fast. And yes, they are actually FASTER, not just harder, which seems to be what you get with a tranny resistor. Even the downshifts when your slowing down are super super fast

if I was planning on staying auto, id do the upgrade myself
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
It is good. I had it done a looong time ago. Earl now has that transmission in storage somewhere, but now that I have the regular 4EAT (4.444 version) I can't stand how lazy it shifts....

Take out the resistor and it is a little better than that

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 02-29-2008, 10:00 PM

Registered SVX
Earlier in the thread, opening up an orifice to increase flow is mentioned as a means dropping temperature, which makes sense. Increasing the speed and firmness of shifts however must surely require an increase in line pressure and adjustments relating to the pressure regulator valve.

The pressure regulator is controlled electrically via solenoid A, which is pulse width modulated by the TCU. Therefore one means of increasing line pressure would to alter the modulated signal, but this is not easy to achieve and is something which Level 10 can not have done under the circumstances. Disconnecting the resistor has an some affect but is not desirable as it negates an important function.

We are therefore left with modifications to the regulator valve or more likely the pressure modifier valve which controls it. Evidently Level 10 refer to this as modification as a “Hydrosystem”. None of this is rocket science, but it does require hands on physical analysis of of a transmission, in particular the valve body. We have claims that successful modifications has been carried out commercially by a member here, but details have not been published for obvious reasons.

Experiment is likely to involve only the valve body. Who is going to leap into the fray?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-01-2008, 05:37 AM

I have a level 10 built tranny. The fluid flow is incredible. I remember trying to measure it once, and it was very fast. I also run an external oil cooler.

I think this was a smart mod. Although expensive, you probably extended the life of your very expensive transmission. If you don't modify the motor a lot, it should give you a lot more service.

Question for you regarding your modification. Did you do the resistor mod with the valve mod? Do you remember if Level 10 recommends the resistor mod?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
I am wondering how the level 10 system compares with Lan's ecutune transmission upgrade...
Old 03-01-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
I am wondering how the level 10 system compares with Lan's ecutune transmission upgrade...
Mikes transmission rebuild costs about the same as a stock rebuild. As long as he is replacing the same parts, I would think it would be a no brainer to give it a try.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando View Post
Question for you regarding your modification. Did you do the resistor mod with the valve mod? Do you remember if Level 10 recommends the resistor mod?
Yes from what I remember. I never changed anything from what Chike did. Here's the thread where he did the mod-->
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hifts+resistor

Level 10 told me that the resistor mod is not necessary with the hydrosystem. The valve body will still function as it should.
***R.I.P***
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Earlier in the thread, opening up an orifice to increase flow is mentioned as a means dropping temperature, which makes sense. Increasing the speed and firmness of shifts however must surely require an increase in line pressure and adjustments relating to the pressure regulator valve.

The pressure regulator is controlled electrically via solenoid A, which is pulse width modulated by the TCU. Therefore one means of increasing line pressure would to alter the modulated signal, but this is not easy to achieve and is something which Level 10 can not have done under the circumstances. Disconnecting the resistor has an some affect but is not desirable as it negates an important function.

We are therefore left with modifications to the regulator valve or more likely the pressure modifier valve which controls it. Evidently Level 10 refer to this as modification as a “Hydrosystem”. None of this is rocket science, but it does require hands on physical analysis of of a transmission, in particular the valve body. We have claims that successful modifications has been carried out commercially by a member here, but details have not been published for obvious reasons.

Experiment is likely to involve only the valve body. Who is going to leap into the fray?
Trevor, I did not install this valve body. I was asked to comment on his the transmission performs in regard to a stock 4eat. There are very noticeable differences between a stock transmission and the one in Kevin's car. Very impressed with shift speed and accuracy. There has been no disconnecting of the shift resistor and it does not have the waste your money shift kit. As far as I know it does have a modified shift resistor from SVXfiles, that I have used before as well but it does not do this.

Tom
Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 AM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
It is good. I had it done a looong time ago. Earl now has that transmission in storage somewhere, but now that I have the regular 4EAT (4.444 version) I can't stand how lazy it shifts....

Take out the resistor and it is a little better than that
Not to keep beating on this but I just want to say that this may not be for everyone. Some people may not like the 'snap' feeling while cruising but instead want something 'butter-smooth' or slightly better than stock.
In the past, Pat Barrett (Owner of Level 10) used to have levels of shiftness that varied. Customers could choose from a range of somewhat quicker than stock to as far as quick/firm/instant. They no longer have this option. There is only one way it is done and that is the quick/firm/instant. You may confirm this by calling Level 10 and get updated pricing.

It is hard to justify the pricing. This mod saved my poor Impreza Outback tranny's life after I constantly abused it and it still will twist the steering wheel betwen shifts with the tiny hp it makes now.

A pic of a sample dyno run of my Outback from 1st gear to 3rd with the Hydrosystem is the best way I could show what I am describing.

The 'firm' shift I am referring to is the 60-70ft-lbs of torque jump between shifts. That's a jump you can feel in your neck. I am not sure how this will look on the SVX from 1st to 3rd gear but if it is similar or better, it will be a huge improvement between gears than this--->
http://subaruxt.com/forum/files/tomy...l-hptq_167.jpg
This is the dyno run with the ToMyx intake. Look at the dip and lost of torque between shift.

The plan is to overlay the ToMyx runs with SVX in it's current state. Amongst other repairs Tom did, he repaired the AWD (I couldn't run AWD on the dyno when I went to test the ToMyx/Dale cold air setup and Hydrosystem [Valve Body Mod]). You'll have to be the judge if it is worth the cost from a performance perspective. Added transmission reliability just seals the deal for me.
***R.I.P***

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-01-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Good. Thanks for the info. I may go ahead and connect my resistor. Under full throttle the shifts are fine, but under normal easy crusing at low speed the 1st to 2nd shift is increadibly harsh. Hopefully it will not be too bad with the resistor reinstalled.