How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Automatic Seatbelt Problem

Figure as long as the weather's cold, I'll ask my questions so I'll have a better idea about what I'll be doing when it warms up...

Another little issue my car has is with the automatic seatbelt on the driver's side. Once in the "door closed" position, it will not move if you open the door. If I hit it on the bottom, it will proceed to travel down the door path, and the "Seatbelt Warning" light will go out. Closing the door makes it travel all the way back again, and the light still stays out. But upon opening the door once more, the auto belt remains stuck and the seatbelt warning light comes back on.

Passenger's side works fine. I kinda miss my Legacy now, its auto-belts worked great.

Any way to fix the mechanism so it doesn't jam up?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
Figure as long as the weather's cold, I'll ask my questions so I'll have a better idea about what I'll be doing when it warms up...

Another little issue my car has is with the automatic seatbelt on the driver's side. Once in the "door closed" position, it will not move if you open the door. If I hit it on the bottom, it will proceed to travel down the door path, and the "Seatbelt Warning" light will go out. Closing the door makes it travel all the way back again, and the light still stays out. But upon opening the door once more, the auto belt remains stuck and the seatbelt warning light comes back on.

Passenger's side works fine. I kinda miss my Legacy now, its auto-belts worked great.

Any way to fix the mechanism so it doesn't jam up?
I do not have hands on knowledge of this feature as my JDM car has does not have automatic seat belts.

However, It would appear certain, that a change over limit switch operated by movement of the belt is involved, and that hitting an area at the bottom could be shaking it into operation. Follow your nose in this direction and you may find the answer.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Try a search for your particular problem. This may help get you started http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...matic+seatbelt

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael
Try a search for your particular problem. This may help get you started http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...matic+seatbelt
This looks like a worthwhile thread. Take note that there is mention of a limit switch.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Worthwhile thread indeed! Thank you very much!

*slaps self for not searching*
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Worthwhile thread indeed! Thank you very much!

*slaps self for not searching*
A reply, not difficult to recognise, as coming from one who is going places.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 PM

A couple quick thoughts... if you are getting seatbelt warning lights, there is most likely a code you can pull out of the car. This code should point you towards what is faulty in the seatbelt system. I believe there is a doc in the how to section that explains how to pull the seatbelt codes.

I had a similar problem with my Pearl '92 and even though the codes pointed to the limit switch, it ended up being the control module that is mounted in the trunk. Also note that a faulty control module might slowly drain your battery. (at least it appears that mine did)

I have the complete seatbelt system pulled from a '92 that was converted to manual belts for sale if you find you need parts! Good luck and PM me if you need more info.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 02-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Retired

I'll go pull codes once it's warmed up, and yeah I read about how to do that on the How-To pages. Makes sense that yours threw a code that ended up not being right, since it only remembers a single fault.

Thanks for the offer. Once I dig a little deeper into my car's specific problem I'll get in touch. Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:06 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
My Pearlie is starting to experience intermintent delays when I open my door. Only happens once in a while.
I'll be back to this thread when it starts happening on a regular basis.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 02-10-2007, 12:55 AM

If anyone needs parts... I have them

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD
Old 06-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Mine jams as well but I believe it to be the cable is fraying and causing the jam. A replacement will be installed once I get around to it.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:25 PM

I've been reading seatbelt threads for a bit now however 99% of people have intermittent problems. Where should I look first if neither seat belt moves, EVER, and I have never seen them move during the time I've owned the car? There doesn't appear to be any related fuses.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:41 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minjin
I've been reading seatbelt threads for a bit now however 99% of people have intermittent problems. Where should I look first if neither seat belt moves, EVER, and I have never seen them move during the time I've owned the car? There doesn't appear to be any related fuses.
In the trunk, under the panel on the top... there's a computer in the middle. That would be the seatbelt control computer, and it's probably shot.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
In the trunk, under the panel on the top... there's a computer in the middle. That would be the seatbelt control computer, and it's probably shot.
Since they all seem to go bad, has anyone taken them apart to see whats going wrong?

edit: Well, I "solved" two mysteries. That explains why the trunk upper panel was hanging down. And when I looked in there, I found a box with its plug detached. I plugged it back in and it immediately started clicking like crazy. So thats why it was unplugged and the seat belts don't work. Anyone know what the clicking indicates? External or internal problem (wrt to the module)?

Last edited by Minjin; 06-17-2007 at 02:40 PM.