How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-07-2005, 10:02 PM
fl_svx

I am sick of hurricanes..thank god for SVX

As many should know, another hurricane is heading my way. This time Dennis the Menace, a category 4 storm, 135 mph. We got hit by four last year and this one is worse than any of them even Charley. Even oddball Ivan that went by, turned around and came back the other way is a light weight by comparison. I live 1 mile from the ICW, but it's not an evacuation zone, go figure. We lost power for a total of three weeks last year from all the storms. As a native Floridian, you would think that I would take these things in stride, NOT! Last year I had my Legacy Wagon, this year my SVX. I feel that if I have to make the mad dash, I can do so with comfort and SPEED !!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to sharky512345
If the storm is 135 mph you can definately outrun it.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:07 AM
blah blah, blah.

Would be fun to go with the storm at the same speed the wind is at. For a little bit.
Mods (in order of install)- K&N air filter, ECUtune stage 1v.4, Alternator mod, removed intake resonator, B&M Supercooler, Window Tint, JDM Emblem, Hid Kit 5000K.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_svx
As many should know, another hurricane is heading my way. This time Dennis the Menace, a category 4 storm, 135 mph. We got hit by four last year and this one is worse than any of them even Charley. Even oddball Ivan that went by, turned around and came back the other way is a light weight by comparison. I live 1 mile from the ICW, but it's not an evacuation zone, go figure. We lost power for a total of three weeks last year from all the storms. As a native Floridian, you would think that I would take these things in stride, NOT! Last year I had my Legacy Wagon, this year my SVX. I feel that if I have to make the mad dash, I can do so with comfort and SPEED !!!!
Best of luck, it looks like you might get skipped, but it sucks to live in Pensacola - they got whacked pretty good last year.

FYI, I'm only half-way through the repairs from last years storms (living about 35 miles from where two came ashore - Jeanne doing the most damage). In my favor at least is all external repairs are done so I'm relatively secure, I just need drywall work, then paint & finally flooring (the roof let go, then the insulation got wet, drywall fell in, and carpet got moldy, etc....). My drywall guy is up in Panama City running a church youth camp/counseling session - I hope for my sake & his he decides to come back & work on my house.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:42 AM

Folks in my part of the world usually hate to see these storms because of the volume of rain they bring way up here. Hate to think what you guys have to deal with. Best of luck.

dcb
Old 07-08-2005, 11:48 AM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
Best of luck, it looks like you might get skipped, but it sucks to live in Pensacola - they got whacked pretty good last year.

FYI, I'm only half-way through the repairs from last years storms (living about 35 miles from where two came ashore - Jeanne doing the most damage). In my favor at least is all external repairs are done so I'm relatively secure, I just need drywall work, then paint & finally flooring (the roof let go, then the insulation got wet, drywall fell in, and carpet got moldy, etc....). My drywall guy is up in Panama City running a church youth camp/counseling session - I hope for my sake & his he decides to come back & work on my house.
Our biggest problem last year, other than falling trees was getting FPL and the tree trimmers together. I used to live in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte, they still have an awful lot of work to do down there. Even with just wind and rain, they are in trouble. Poor Pensacola, I feel for them, almost as much as I feel for Lake Wales, they got hit by all four.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Poor Pensacola, I feel for them, almost as much as I feel for Lake Wales, they got hit by all four.
I have an aunt and uncle in Lake Wales. Their residence sustained no major damage, but they own a number of rental properties in the area and overall, took a pretty big hit.

dcb
Old 07-08-2005, 12:40 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
I have an aunt and uncle in Lake Wales. Their residence sustained no major damage, but they own a number of rental properties in the area and overall, took a pretty big hit.

dcb
My son and brothers live in Lakeland, they got hammered pretty good. But they had power when we didn't. The skies are geeting cloudy now, the leading cloud bands without the rain are beginning....at that thing is still in Cuba. Only about 300 miles from here, but this is a BIG storm. The wind is out of the east now at about 25kts....pretty steady.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
My son and brothers live in Lakeland, they got hammered pretty good. But they had power when we didn't. The skies are geeting cloudy now, the leading cloud bands without the rain are beginning....at that thing is still in Cuba. Only about 300 miles from here, but this is a BIG storm. The wind is out of the east now at about 25kts....pretty steady.
Hey, sorry to go off topic, but....I used to live in Lakeland, why I'm even a Polk Community College graduate--PLUS--I have a brother and his family living in Lakeland--so how did we end being SVX owners and bracketing them on both coasts?

Back O/T: the FPL power infrastructure (circa 1950s) near me sucks and we have lost power ever since Hurricane Erin to every named storm that comes near - it was down for 8 days after Charley and 18 days after Jeanne
Old 07-08-2005, 01:59 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
Hey, sorry to go off topic, but....I used to live in Lakeland, why I'm even a Polk Community College graduate--PLUS--I have a brother and his family living in Lakeland--so how did we end being SVX owners and bracketing them on both coasts?

Back O/T: the FPL power infrastructure (circa 1950s) near me sucks and we have lost power ever since Hurricane Erin to every named storm that comes near - it was down for 8 days after Charley and 18 days after Jeanne
Good taste?
Old 07-08-2005, 02:09 PM

My uncle used to be some big cheese with the Polk County schools (which may or may not have anything to do with the community college). He was the first person I knew to carry a cell phone everyplace he went.

What's the school in Lakeland that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright?

dcb
Old 07-08-2005, 02:11 PM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
My uncle used to be some big cheese with the Polk County schools (which may or may not have anything to do with the community college). He was the first person I knew to carry a cell phone everyplace he went.

What's the school in Lakeland that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright?

dcb
Florida Southern College on Lake Hollingsworth. GO MOCS !!!!