Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2020, 11:00 PM

Retro-fitting a CAN bus to a pre-OBD2 SVX?

Hey SVX fans,

I've got a project where I want to interface a computer with the SVX's ECU (and possibly other SVX control units). The easiest way is to write a custom drive to talk straight to the ECU and get the data I want. Another option would be creating a piece of custom hardware which talks to the ECU and outputs CAN bus signals, then I can use existing software for listening/talking to the CAN bus.

Can (no pun intended) anybody think of useful applications for a CAN bus retrofit on a older car?
Are there modern car components/add-ons that require CAN bus?

It sounds interesting, but I can't see a lot of uses for it, and it's going to be less work for me just to talk straight to the ECU.

Thanks for any input on this!
Ian.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:17 AM
H6 Fanatic

Registered SVX
Re: Retro-fitting a CAN bus to a pre-OBD2 SVX?

I don't know much about CAN bus, except it seems to make newer Subie swaps a huge pain, so I'm not gonna be much help. But I'm very curious as to the nature of your project, are you doing data logging out something?

1993 Legacy sedan : winter beater, supposedly.
1994 Legacy wagon : future drift car?
1995 Impreza coupe : EZ30++, daily racecar.
1997 Legacy GT : date night rocket?
2003 WRX : future winter beater
Old 07-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Yeah, most of the results I got from searches where people trying to do engine swaps between older and new vehicles.

See the pics in this thread for a idea about want I'm hoping to do:
https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64744
Basically I would like to have a modern (e.g. Tesla style, or other modern car) dashboard / onboard-computer. The "CAN bus or not" question is about how I will have the SVX talk to modern computer components (getting vehicle speed, engine speed, CEL codes, etc).

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:29 PM

Why not swap to a stand alone ECU with all the modern digital outputs? This would also allow for full tuning of the ECU.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but which stand-alone-ECU are you thinking off? (Like Ecotune? Or are there others? Something standard?)

This still leaves me with the same problem, I then have to write a driver to talk to it. Also, I've no problems with the stock ECU, and it's fairly easy to get data from it. Also, I hope to publish a how-to for doing this for others to follow and keeping the stock ECU would help keep the price down.

Thanks!
Ian.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but which stand-alone-ECU are you thinking off? (Like Ecotune? Or are there others? Something standard?)

This still leaves me with the same problem, I then have to write a driver to talk to it. Also, I've no problems with the stock ECU, and it's fairly easy to get data from it. Also, I hope to publish a how-to for doing this for others to follow and keeping the stock ECU would help keep the price down.

Thanks!
Ian.
Any of the major names make good ECUs, Halltech, ECUmasters, Motune, etc. Most of the new ones have electronics that will display anything and everything you could ever want. You would not have to "wire a driver to talk to it" because they have full outputs and some even offer full digital dash replacements. You replace the ECU with something modern that does everything you want and also allows you to tune the engine properly, opening the door for future mods, more power, and an overall better running motor. All you have to do is wire the ECU in and make a tune for it, or have a tuner make a tune for it. Do your research first and choose something that will do everything you want and also make sure the ECU you choose is something that your preferred tuner shop is comfortable tuning on, unless you can tune the engine yourself.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:00 AM

Ecumaster looks the most promising, some interesting stuff there. But rather pricey. Still, great to take a look at commercial products related to what I want to do!

It also to answer the original "Is an SVX ECU to CAN bus bridge useful", and I see possibly a good use is to talk to Ecumaster accessories like their digital dashboard.

My goal is to create an elegant bespoke User Interface to give the SVX a modern/2021 feel when you are inside, for drivers and passengers. To do this I would like to use a large touch screen, mounted in a custom dash (I would have to build) and I don't think I can achieve my goals with off-the-shelf parts.

Cheers,
Ian.