Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-13-2019, 09:27 AM

Cool Climate control buttons unresponsive. No tail lights. No speedometer. No tach.

So I bought this problematic SVX from Maryland and hauled it back to Ohio.

As the title says, my climate control buttons are lit up but do not even beep when i push them.

The speedometer and tachometer are completely unresponsive. Along with the gauge cluster lights are out. The fuel gauge and temperature gauge both work properly.

The tail lights do not come on when the head lights are turned on. However, the parking light button does power them up. The brake lights do work when the pedal is pressed.

There is no check engine light. There is not the common 16 power light blinks indicating a transmission problem. I have also checked every fuse, they are good.

So if anyone has had this issue or know what's going on please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Also, the front windshield wipers do not work but the rear one does work.

Last edited by CyanideSVX; 05-13-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Climate control buttons unresponsive. No tail lights. No speedometer. No tach.

Do your sun visor lights work? How about the clock or cigarette lighter?

Frayed sun visor wires are notorious for shorting out and causing a multitude of problems.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...08&postcount=4

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...8&postcount=13

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-13-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 PM

Re: Climate control buttons unresponsive. No tail lights. No speedometer. No tach.

Do your sun visor lights work? How about the clock or cigarette lighter?

Frayed sun visor wires are notorious for shorting out and causing a multitude of problems.

Yes both visor lights work. The clock works. And the cigarette lighter works. I'm thinking maybe the PCM and the VSS. However, does the VSS kill the tach? Or would that be the PCM making it not work?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:55 AM

I had similar problems with a bad Timer Control Unit. This is on the same circuit as the visors, but it's harder to get to, so check the visor light plugs/wires first. I unplugged my Timer Control Unit connector and everything else started working. Of course, it could also be a number of different components on that circuit....

I think the visor wiring may have caused my Timer Control Unit to fail.

Good luck!
Ian.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
I had similar problems with a bad Timer Control Unit. This is on the same circuit as the visors, but it's harder to get to, so check the visor light plugs/wires first. I unplugged my Timer Control Unit connector and everything else started working. Of course, it could also be a number of different components on that circuit....

I think the visor wiring may have caused my Timer Control Unit to fail.

Good luck!
Ian.
Thanks Ian. I'll definitely check that out. I haven't even ever heard of a Timer Control Unit. This is my 8th SVX. 🤬
Old 05-15-2019, 12:05 PM

Update:
So this morning I went out and took my glove box off, unplugged the Time Control Unit, tested my heater and air controls and there was no change.

However, my low beam headlights have worked this whole time. The guy I bought it from said they didn't work. I didn't check. Drivers side low beam bulb is blown.

Played with my drivers visor, noticed the light would go out. Found those dreaded frayed wires and disconnected them. Passenger looks alright and the light doesn't go out.

So that's as far as I've made it with that. Help please.

Last edited by CyanideSVX; 05-16-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:13 PM

This is my thread from looking into a similar issue, while you have a different problem, the process for identifying it will probably be similar):
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64528

Basically I took everything off the effected circuit one by one until I found the thing that didn't work.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:54 PM

So my girl took the SVX on a joy ride in town to the car wash and the engine started to get hot. Turns out, both 25A fuses for both the fans were missing. Lol

On another note though, as I stated before, the Time Control Module made no difference when I unhooked it. However after putting it back in, I have the side door lights and overhead lights now. Still, nothing else has been remedied.

Also, this site won't let me upload photos using my mobile device. Is that possible or should I break out the old laptop?

One last thing for right now, that "binding" at low speed turns; is this normally in the rear differential or the front differential? Mine does it too. ☹

I would like to drive this car to Myrtle Beach, SC on July 4th so as much help, as quick as possible, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike
Old 05-30-2019, 03:45 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Binding is in the rear. Sometimes it is from sitting around too long and will fix itself with use. Lubegard transmission additive can help loosen up sticky components. Solenoid C is another culprit.
Take it to a parking lot and drive a bunch of slow speed figure 8's in both directions.
Also you could try putting the FWD fuse in and see if it stops. It's got it's own little holder up against the firewall on the passenger side.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:57 PM

Blacky, when you say, "It's got it's own little holder up against the firewall on the passenger side." What is that in reference to exactly? Because as far as I know, the empty FWD fuse location was in the fuse box on the driver's side right behind the battery. Am I going crazy?

Also does anyone else have any input as to why my speedometer and tachometer do not work. How about why my climate control lights are all lit but do not do anything?

Last edited by CyanideSVX; 05-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

You are not crazy.
The fuse box behind the battery where the FWD slot is. Bottom right

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 415F6353-6405-424D-B8B7-136FC06CF57C.jpeg (89.2 KB, 423 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 05-30-2019, 09:34 PM

Gotcha. Thanks. I'll try that fuse tomorrow before work and get back with you.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:08 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Oooops! Sorry I was thinking of another Subaru. Our '97 Outback has the fuse in it's own holder.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Oooops! Sorry I was thinking of another Subaru. Our '97 Outback has the fuse in it's own holder.
😀 LOL it happens to the best of us sometimes.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:18 PM

So I put the FWD fuse in the car and there was not a FWD indicator light. Anyone?

I haven't drove it yet although I did put it in reverse and drive.

UPDATE: found the FWD light.

Last edited by CyanideSVX; 06-16-2019 at 11:41 PM.