Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2008, 05:22 AM

Now it makes sense thanks for explaining it to me, they are interesting numbers its great to be able to see what will happen.
I can see you will hate me for all the questions but here goes again, were is the intercooler before the SC or after. Reason I ask is if its after the SC then both are being feed with the same density air aren't they?
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Now it makes sense thanks for explaining it to me, they are interesting numbers its great to be able to see what will happen.
I can see you will hate me for all the questions but here goes again, were is the intercooler before the SC or after. Reason I ask is if its after the SC then both are being feed with the same density air aren't they?

It would be the same as on Prezzers, the intercooler is after the blower. It has to be if you think about it. It is the heat of the blower or turbo compressing the air that causes it to heat up. You need to extract this heat back from the charge to get the extra oxygen into the engine.

In our case and LAN's case air is fed through the throttle bodies to the blower, blower compresses air and feeds through the plenum into the intakes. Because there is so little room between the blower outlet plate and the intakes we opted for injection as a means of charge cooling.

It would theoretically be possible to use a Jaguar XJR like system to cool the charge before it fed the intakes, but the amount of fabrication required to do it, including possibly raising the bonnet profile, is really pretty horrid. You would have to be keen and a very handy fabricator.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 AM

the 290 BHP comes from 7,960 rpm and the 340 BHP comes from 8,071 rpm were is the extra Oxygen coming from because as you said the cooler is after the SC so therefor the density will be the same for the air being feed to SC.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You need to re-read your Autospeed calculations, particularly the Final Calculations bit at the end.

Air [or gas] density is a function of temperature and pressure, two things. What you need to calculate is the air density of the final ingested charge which goes into the cylinder.

The Autospeed calculations are based on a turbo, but it's the same thing really.

<<
So with an intercooler we have a temp of 61 °C at a boost pressure ratio of 2.36, compared with a non-intercooled 153 °C at a pressure ratio of 2.5.
>>

This in turn computes into the intercooled engine getting 2.1 times the air density of the non-compressed air, versus the non-intercooled engine only getting 1.75 times the air density of the non-compressed air. This is where the power difference lies.

Tony, don't get confused into thinking that air is like a liquid, and all the oxygen that is sucked past the intake is getting into the combustion process. It's not. Remember it is a gas being pressurised after the throttle bodies, and heat of pressurisation is causing a lowering of density, if cooling is not involved.

After the blower compressor, the air/charge is being forced into the plenum chamber, and from the pressurised plenum the engine takes what it needs. If the air in the plenum is not cooled and made more dense, then the engine is leaving behind a proportion of the oxygen in the plenum.

This is where the difference of 2.1 times air density versus 1.75 times air density comes in for the worked example in Autospeed. In turn, this causes the difference in theoretical hp output.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-07-2008, 02:17 PM

I get the density part on the engine side of the SC but I still have trouble saying the revs on the SC can be nearly the same ans you will get different power. Pressure is effected by final air temp. The intercooled engine will require the SC to pump more air to get the same psi as the uncooled. In simple terms if the air heats up as it is pumped through the SC then it will require SC to pump less to get the to the 9 psi.
Maybe I will have to think it through more I just can't get the part of the SC revs being simlar in both of your sheets.

Do you understand this part in the Autospeed calc

Theoretical outlet temp = 293 x (2.1)0.286
= 293 x 1.236

what maths is being done between the (2.1) & 0.286 to get 1.236 as I get 1.2306. Is it ment to be to the power of.
Tony
Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Tony's right. Because a supercharger is a positive displacement compressor the volume of air displaced is the same. Therefore if the temp goes down the pressure must also. This is why top fuel drag racers run the risk of running nitromethane through the supercharger. The vaporizing fuel cools the air before it passes through the supercharger. Intercooling is still a good idea after the supercharger as the air is hotter and therefore easier to cool, but you would have to increase the speed of the supercharger to get the power increase benefit of this cooling. This is not really a bad thing as superchargers tend to increase in volumetric efficiency as their speed increases. Thermodynamic efficiency may not, You don't want the heat generated by your supercharger to overtake your intercooler.
Money, time, and space-wise a water injection system before the supercharger is probably your best option. Just don't run out of water!
Turbos are different, the cooling after the turbo will increase the charge density. Water injection before the turbo is a bad idea!! Turbos hate water!
Planes in WWII used a turbo and a supercharger in series without any intercooler. The turbo heated and compressed the cold thin intake air so the fuel would atomize, then the fuel was injected before the supercharger cooling the charge. The supercharger gave the final pressure boost. 1000+ Hp Sweet!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Thanks for that I get you, one last question can you or anyone help with the math's problem?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I'll have a look at that Tony and check it out, I did not look too closely.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-10-2008, 02:24 AM

Thanks Joe it would be appricated.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re-calc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post

Do you understand this part in the Autospeed calc

Theoretical outlet temp = 293 x (2.1)0.286
= 293 x 1.236

what maths is being done between the (2.1) & 0.286 to get 1.236 as I get 1.2306. Is it ment to be to the power of.
Tony
Tony, it seems to be correct to me, possibly you hit a wrong digit or something.

On my calculator (2.1) to the power of 0.286 gives me 1.2363878.

They used 1.236 which is correct to three decimal places.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
i haven't really read through all that has been posted and haven't seen, used, or checked this uk software svxistensialist uses to figure out whatever for differnt compressors but I will say that some of the #'s I have seen posted as a result of that software don't jive with the compressor maps I have for the 1600ax compressor.

On a seperate note, cooler is always better and higher octane #'s are always better for higher compression. I've had e85 software out there for a long time now. That's ethanol injection guys. If you want to cool your intake charge run e85. As is the norm..the vanagon and sandrail guys have taken much more advantage of this than the svx guys have. It's there if you want it.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM

Re: ECUTune Stage III twin screw supercharger sign up

Just wondering if this ever got fully out to production? Cost? and is it worth it!?
Old 04-20-2011, 10:31 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny

Wow, this is an old-ass thread, and one I was quite fond of. I'd forgotten about it.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

They didn't fit under the hood as well as I had hoped. We had to use the smallest pulley possible, mess with the engine mounts, put spacers in the sub frame, and remove the insulation under the hood above the pulley to get clearance.

At that time the ECUtune firmware changes were not the "aggressive" versions we use now. AKA they required the ECU to use the knock sensors to learn in a large amount of advance on top of the primary ignition table. A couple cars did this well--many did not.

We were originally going to have the fabrication work done by someone else but somehow I ended up doing it myself and the machine work was done on a small, cheap, chineese, manual mill and lathe. The manifolds and pulleys were really beyond the capacity of the machines and as a result are a bit rough. With access to a nice big CNC mill it actually wouldn't be a big deal to clean the machine work up and true up the mating surfaces if I came accross one of the ones I made back then but I would definitely do so.

So long story short just the originals were made and they could use some refinement.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:39 AM

well that is a shame. This would have been a really cool addition to the already dwindling parts list for SVX. Maybe someday, when pigs fly, hell freezes over, the sun goes black, and all life ceases to exist, we can have nice things.