Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I'm not sure how they got here; it looks like you just write my address on the old label but they got here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando
Have you received mine yet? I sent them to your Miami address as you requested.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:44 PM

Miami or Tampa?

Huh? The old label was still on the box but covered up in the box fold. I taped the new label on top with the Miami address. You should have received it in Miami.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Just some dude.

I JUST opened it to check after reading your post and the new ups label was on the inside. Maybe someone opened it and reclosed it before it got to me?..weird. Whatever, all's well that ends well.

Quote:
Huh? The old label was still on the box but covered up in the box fold. I taped the new label on top with the Miami address. You should have received it in Miami.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:45 PM

Smart Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
I JUST opened it to check after reading your post and the new ups label was on the inside. Maybe someone opened it and reclosed it before it got to me?..weird. Whatever, all's well that ends well.
Must be the smart box you shipped to me originally.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Ok... Dropped MY block and MY heads off at the machine shop today. I told him there was no rush as I still need a set of rings b/c I broke a secondary compression ring while filing my last set... My engine should be a quick assembly considering I will have all of the parts ready to go instead of doing it one step at a time like I did for Sicksubie's. Just and update... any word on some different head studs/bolts??

Tom
Old 08-20-2007, 07:39 PM

ARP Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
any word on some different head studs/bolts??Tom
From what I saw of New Toms bolts, the 7.7" and the 6.75" look like a perfect fit. The problem is the 6.75" studs are not in standard stock at ARP. I called and checked today. So we are talking about a 2/3 partial WRX kit plus 8 more studs at probably about 38.95 a piece for one offs. So look at something around 400 to 500 bucks. How many folks are still interested? I might also get with Jeromy Cobb too to see if he wants some sets for his two builds. I didn't think to ask if they have any sizes in a bigger diameter. That would of course require some drilling and tapping at the machine shop.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM

ARP Bolts

Another option we might have is to go to a larger diameter bolt with the correct length specs, re-thread our blocks and drill out our heads. This would be more expensive labor wise, and may even cost a bit more or the same as a partial one off for 11 mm bolts, but it would have the added benefit of more strength.

Either way, we will be looking into the development of a kit. Let us know.

Thanks

Chuck D.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Maniac modifier

finally took pictures and anyone who is familiar with our cams can see why the bearing diameters need to be smaller than the base circle of the lobe

Tom
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 PM

ARP & Buckets

Is that where the bucket sits with the new valves installed or did you pull it up off the retainer to make your point?

I'm assuming from the lack of response to my previous post that no one is interested in ARP head studs other than New Tom and myself. We will move forward with two kits then.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:27 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Is that where the bucket sits with the new valves installed or did you pull it up off the retainer to make your point?

I'm assuming from the lack of response to my previous post that no one is interested in ARP head studs other than New Tom and myself. We will move forward with two kits then.

Chuck,
I'm interested in the head studs. I've been under the impression that Michael (LAN) was working this with ARP. I've been tracking the posts by New Tom, so it does appear that we're converging on studs that will actually work.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 PM

ARP Studs

I'm still working on getting ARP to put a kit together for those who want 11mm studs. They have all the prototype pieces to do it but don't have enough of the inventory for more than one kit. If I have some idea of how many people want the kit, that will give ARP some idea of how many of the 6.75 inch bolts they need to make. My contact person is out until Monday so I won't know anything before then. PM me if your interested.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:

Thats where the expanded buck sits on its own... under full compression they are just off flush with the surface of the bearing... When I laid the lifters in for the 1st time I knew right away something was off

Tom
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM

Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Thats where the expanded buck sits on its own... under full compression they are just off flush with the surface of the bearing... When I laid the lifters in for the 1st time I knew right away something was off

Tom
That is strange. I thought for sure from Mike's calculations that we had enough extra travel for this longer valve. I didn't know the base circle was smaller than the bearing.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 PM

Valves

I just checked the exhaust cam. The base circle is slightly larger so I think we are OK with that one, although it is really close. Maybe 0.5 mm. Have you checked the valve clearances yet on either the exhaust or the intake? Hopefully they all come up in spec. Do the bucket oil grooves come up to the edge of the bucket?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Just some dude.

I'll have some pics and more information to share on my own build soon. My crank and cyllinders are done. My deck is not done yet. My cyllinder head porting is mostly done. I dropped the heads off at the machine shop that sets up my heads so he could punch in the valve guides so I could do some more work on the bowls. I'll finish the porting and send the heads and pistons off to get coated before I head back to Tampa this weekend.