Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

View Poll Results: What will be the first weakest link?
Tired old Power Plant 3 42.86%
Tired old, overworked 5 speed 2 28.57%
Abused suspension 2 28.57%
A mustang owner's dream tire 3 42.86%
other, post it up! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Locker Link Solution

~Mike's Really Big Auto-X Thread~

Meet the beater:

Current up-to-date specs:
  • 230,000 miles -> over every mountain range in the US
  • 2.2 H4
  • 10w40 Synthetic oil
  • the 2.2 5 speed with no first gear syncro "mod"
  • Tired old suspension which is constantly pushed to it's limits
  • Bridgestone Insignia SE200 - 560 Treadwear Traction A
...and it is going to the track!
I have never driven on tires with a treadwear over 300, ussually 200... this is gonna be interesting!

Vote for what you think I will discover to be the weakest link after weekend #1.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 07-08-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Engine... Unless it's been resealed previously... THat's what I'd bet on...

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
Engine... Unless it's been resealed previously... THat's what I'd bet on...

~ Chris
I forgot the best part about the engine... ready... it has the cali heads!
Thats right, one collector on each side!

...That component is also expected to receive a hefty upgrade by years end
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Last edited by Speedklix; 04-20-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:41 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
I forgot the best part about the engine... ready... it has the cali heads!
Thats right, one collector on each side!

...That component is also expected to receive a hefty upgrade by years end
And I honestly have no clue what "Cali heads" are... ....

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
hmmm... I thought I replied to this last night....

My first year of AX was in my 97 Leg Sedan with an AT. Depending on your competition, you can be somewhat competitive.

The nice thing about starting with this car is that you will run out of power before you run out of skill. You can concentrate on your turning and braking without having to learn to control the gas. It also forces you to learn to keep as much speed through a corner because you don't have huge power to compensate for over braking.

I ran on whatever all terrain tires I had on it at the time, on the way to the event I'd stop at a gas station and fill them to 45/42 and then slowly leave out air to keep that pressure as I heated them up.

Go out, have a blast and learn lots.

There is a guy that races a H stock Legacy wagon in the Philly region, I've seen him a couple times at the State championships and he was within a few tenths of a National level driver in a Mini. Now he had the most tire he could use and stay in stock as well as the most suspension tuning he could do and stay stock, but the car can be competitive...
Old 04-21-2008, 07:26 AM

Hey, These legacys are great!!

I race a 96 Legacy Wagon, in Fss, and won last years Ontario Championship, the car also won the previous year's Canadian Nationals.

No dissin' the Legacy.

I autocross, therefore I am.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
I voted the 5spd, since it's already shown signs of weakness....

Those 2.2's run forever, I bet thats the last thing to go. Suspension might go next, I know the driveline and suspension is the worst part about the SVX, I've had to replace more parts on that than anywhere else.

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 04-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I ran on whatever all terrain tires I had on it at the time, on the way to the event I'd stop at a gas station and fill them to 45/42 and then slowly leave out air to keep that pressure as I heated them up
Cool, thats what I keep em at anyway give or take a pound
I would have totally forgot to let air out though, thanks for the tip!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
I voted the 5spd, since it's already shown signs of weakness....
yeah, as long as I don't have to downshift into 1st too many times I'll be good.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
And I honestly have no clue what "Cali heads" are... ....

~ Chris
California heads, which in turn means the exhaust is also unfavorable. most H4s have one exhaust port per cylinder, while mine only has one per head.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
California heads, which in turn means the exhaust is also unfavorable. most H4s have one exhaust port per cylinder, while mine only has one per head.
I have them too... Didn't realize it was a Cali thing???
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I have them too... Didn't realize it was a Cali thing???
...I found out pretty quick the first time I pulled the exhaust off one of these engines and needed new gaskets. Try to keep extras ever since. The dual ports are a dime a dozen around hear...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Locker Link Solution

....um H-Stock here I come?
Will they consider my roof rack an aerodynamic upgrade ??!?!
The keyto it appears to be safe and sound in one of my other cars.... at my parent's place

Anyway...
Anyone with a snell2005 approved helmet, $50, and a desire to learn some auto-x want to meet up this Sat? it's in NH.
We will be a small group of newbs and seasoned Autocrossers. Let me know!

Last edited by Speedklix; 04-23-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Locker Link Solution

Sooo... it turns out I knew a lot more than I thought I did, in fact I learned I could do MORE with the car than I imagined possible. I got some great tips from some awesome guys there, I will be back for the next event.

There was this one guy that gave me an awesome throttle tip that I feel the first AWD instructor was nervous about telling me... it shaved 12 seconds off the lap that got recorded, I know it saved more on the run prior as I applied the technique better, but the meter tripped somehow ...it was good to get to go an extra time though After I learn the technique a bit more it will shave more off I am sure.

The roof rack was jokingly pointed out to be an "AreoAdvantage" bolt on as I was "afraid of" ... but they let it go due to the drag generated from the second bar

The tires actually were not a huge issue, except for in one instance where I'm sure if I had slightly better suspension or more skill it would not have been a problem at all.

Power was my single biggest issue... there are times when 2nd isn't the best gear to be in, but shifting is not an option and the power just isn't there to get me though. about 25-50 more hp would be an awesome next step. I did jam it into first once, but found the transition to be a little less smooth than desired.

....next I'd say suspension, sould be lower and tighter... but I was shown how to use it to my advantage as is for now. Next I would say tires.

Really want to work more on skill before doing much else though.

Last edited by Speedklix; 04-27-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Sooo... it turns out I knew a lot more than I thought I did, in fact I learned I could do MORE with the car than I imagined possible. I got some great tips from some awesome guys there, I will be back for the next event.

There was this one guy that gave me an awesome throttle tip that I feel the first AWD instructor was nervous about telling me... it shaved 12 seconds off the lap that got recorded, I know it saved more on the run prior as I applied the technique better, but the meter tripped somehow ...it was good to get to go an extra time though After I learn the technique a bit more it will shave more off I am sure.

The roof rack was jokingly pointed out to be an "AreoAdvantage" bolt on as I was "afraid of" ... but they let it go due to the drag generated from the second bar

The tires actually were not a huge issue, except for in one instance where I'm sure if I had slightly better suspension or more skill it would not have been a problem at all.

Power was my single biggest issue... there are times when 2nd is the best gear to be in, but shifting is not an option and the power just isn't there to get me though. about 25-50 more hp would be an awesome next step. I did jam it into first once, but found the transition to be a little less smooth than desired.

....next I'd say suspension, sould be lower and tighter... but I was shown how to use it to my advantage as is for now. Next I would say tires.

Really want to work more on skill before doing much else though.
The last time I ran an Outback wagon, someone kept saying," But it's a FAMILY car!!" The ol grocery-getter smoked 6 Corvettes, a boxter Porsche, some Audis and a Monte Carlo with painted on lights. (plus a lot of other stuff)

Your next 'issue' will be tires. If you have better tires, you will be able to hold your speed more. Shifting takes time.
Congrats on getting your feet wet!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 04-27-2008 at 07:37 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: