How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 06:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
Tom got it working, Yey....... It was his cereal cable He got by for cheap, as he received one with something els he bought. Got to love free stuff. Im so happy, everyones adapters are working as planned
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yep works like charm. Thanks again for your help Mike

Tom
Old 10-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Sadly I'm without an adapter because the mail didn't show up today... Maybe on Monday...

I really wanna test this Jdash thing out!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:00 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
You'll have to take your contraption to a UK SVX meet, find an actual UK SVX, and dump its ECU. I'd be willing to wager that the character in position 5 will be 'A'. SVXistentialist is on to something with the country code.
Somebody lent me a UK ECU. He said it's from a 96 model. The ROM ID is 722531, which at first glance doesn't fit the theory.

But SVXes were slow sellers in Britain and it's possible that this was a 92 model car that wasn't registered until 96. I reckon the '3' in position 5 might mean Europe whereas 'A' on the Legacy might mean UK specifically.

What we really need is more data and it's an easy little side project to get people involved. I'd like to ask everybody who buys or builds a cable to post their ROM ID and the year and country of their car so we can see if there actually is a pattern to these numbers. It will also be interesting to see just how many different versions of the SVX ECU are out there.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 10-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Still a member

Send a message via ICQ to strange179 Send a message via AIM to strange179 Send a message via Yahoo to strange179
software capabilities

Well, it seems you guys have gotten the hardware/cable nailed down to the point where it's pretty much going to work on every car. I'm wondering if we could get a complete list of what the software can, can't, and might be able to do. Basically, what can we do with this cool new hardware interface? Have all the registers or addresses been found for all the various sensor input values and driver outputs? Are we able to manipulate any of the data stored in the ECU?

I've been working with and doing a lot of research on DSMs and the associated DSMLink as well as B&G's Megasquirt lately and I'm wondering how close to that kind of programming functionality we can eventually get. I'd love to be able to have all that tuning and datalogging capability without having to replace the entire ECU. It looks like this project is heading in that direction or at least as close as possible with an SVX ECU.

Thanks,
Jay

Black '92 LSl 270Kmi 5MT (W00t! for 1/4 million on 4/27/07)
Laguna Blue '94 L about 130Kmi (I think) for parts, in storage
previous: Green '92 LSl 253Kmi 5MT (sold to ron post moose adventure, sold to someone else)
previous: Maroon '92 LSl 130Kmi +- (sold to Ron, mashed by moose, crushed)
Black '89 XT6 5spd AWD (storage)
Old 10-28-2007, 10:50 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Pretty much everything can be changed / accessed. First step is to decode the assembly language. From there, software mods are probably limited to available ROM or RAM space.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange179 View Post
Well, it seems you guys have gotten the hardware/cable nailed down to the point where it's pretty much going to work on every car. I'm wondering if we could get a complete list of what the software can, can't, and might be able to do. Basically, what can we do with this cool new hardware interface? Have all the registers or addresses been found for all the various sensor input values and driver outputs? Are we able to manipulate any of the data stored in the ECU?

I've been working with and doing a lot of research on DSMs and the associated DSMLink as well as B&G's Megasquirt lately and I'm wondering how close to that kind of programming functionality we can eventually get. I'd love to be able to have all that tuning and datalogging capability without having to replace the entire ECU. It looks like this project is heading in that direction or at least as close as possible with an SVX ECU.

Thanks,
Jay
I'll try to answer this with as much detail as I can.

As of this moment, there are multiple software programs available to access the data on the ECU. Off of the top of my head:

-VWRX SelectMonitor
-Phil's ECUdump
-JDash
-RS232 Comm Tool

VRWX's software can read and (when the INI is edited as per Phil's specifications) display gauges and data from all the sensors in the car. However, the software is very buggy; it crashes when switching between gauge and graph mode, and also has a strange issue which causes it to fall out of synch with the ECU. It's neat and all, but the bugs make it kind of annoying.

Phil's software at the moment can only dump ROMs from the ECU and TCU (by modifying the source code). It actually has the code written to perform other functions, but a front-end for these functions hasn't been coded. If you're into C programming and Linux, I highly suggest you sign on to help out this project. Sadly I don't know enough C to help out much...

JDash hasn't been tested by anyone, to my knowledge. As soon as I get my new adapter built I'll test it out. But it looks very promising. I know some Java, so it's the one I can probably help with. The program is at about the same level as VWRX's software right now, but I'm hoping it doesn't have some of the bugs his software does.

The RS232 Comm Tool is a nuts-and-bolts program to be used only for testing purposes. It allows a user to send and receive hex data directly, without any interpretation. Meaning it will allow you to read and write to addresses in memory. However, you can only do one line at a time, so it's not useful for some of the big projects you guys are talking about.

There are probably other software programs out there, but I'm not familiar with them, so I can't really help out. Right now, we don't have a "tuning" program. For that, I think Phil's program has the most promise. Like I said, it has the functions built in... it just doesn't have code written to use those functions.

So there you have it. Hopefully this answered your question.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange179 View Post

Thanks,
Jay
Jay, to add to Nomake's response, there is a great number of applications that could be fitted to work with the adapter and the SVX. I have been working with the JDash software, and It seems to be our best option at the moment, as it also has functions to data log, and record to a file to review.

We are really limited right now at a programming level. We need to get more people involved with programming knowledge, or at least more knowledge of the early Subaru ECUs. We have all the building blocks to come up with a powerful system to tune the SVX.

There are a few other programs that we can use to edit the fuel, timing, timing correction, knock correction, and a few other maps. Then we can save the edited maps, and burn them to a ROM, and plug them into the ECU. The ECU will then run the edited maps.

A few other programs not listed in Nomakes list are as follows. Note that most of the programs listed below are Java programs, and will run on cross platforms. Java is also an easier language to learn than C+

Enginuity- Phill and I have successfully used this program to edit the the maps on the ECU. I have successfully burt that map to a ROM, and had my SVX running it.

TunerPro- I have used this program as well to successfully edit the ROM tables. I feel this is another potentially valuable program for SVX tuning and data logging.

LogWorks 2- Although I haven't had much luck with this program, it could be of interest to someone with more programming knowledge than myself.

There is a whole sea full of apps available for us to use, we just need a little focus, and some programming help. If anyone is a programmer, or knows a programmer willing to help. Please feel free to chime in

Last edited by UPnorth362; 10-28-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Still a member

Send a message via ICQ to strange179 Send a message via AIM to strange179 Send a message via Yahoo to strange179
thanks all

Looks like we do indeed have several options. I have a friend who has some programming skills (he also owns a silver '92 wingless). I think he knows some C and maybe some Java but I'll check to find out for sure and maybe he can help with moving stuff further along. At this point I'll probably be looking at one of the programs for some logging. I've got this strange stumble.... but I digress.

Thanks again,
Jay

Black '92 LSl 270Kmi 5MT (W00t! for 1/4 million on 4/27/07)
Laguna Blue '94 L about 130Kmi (I think) for parts, in storage
previous: Green '92 LSl 253Kmi 5MT (sold to ron post moose adventure, sold to someone else)
previous: Maroon '92 LSl 130Kmi +- (sold to Ron, mashed by moose, crushed)
Black '89 XT6 5spd AWD (storage)
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPnorth362 View Post
I have successfully burt that map to a ROM, and had my SVX running it.
You have been busy!!!!

Did you modify your own maps, or copy the JDM ones? How is it working for you?
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Retired

No good... I got the USB cable today, wired it together, put it to the car and... nada. At one point I got nonsense data (random things like C00 when I sent "12"), but now I get nothing except when I turn the car off. When the car turns off, I get 00.

I've messed around with everything and I just can't get it working. I give up for now.

Is there some piece I'm missing? All I need is the USB-TTL connector and the Metra connector right?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
No good... I got the USB cable today, wired it together, put it to the car and... nada. At one point I got nonsense data (random things like C00 when I sent "12"), but now I get nothing except when I turn the car off. When the car turns off, I get 00.

I've messed around with everything and I just can't get it working. I give up for now.

Is there some piece I'm missing? All I need is the USB-TTL connector and the Metra connector right?
Im not sure how hearty troughs cables are. Plus Powering from solely usb is not very reliable because usb voltage varys from +4 to +5 volts from the PC. There needs to be a more robust platform in between the PC and ECU to communicate reliably.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Retired

Tobi got it working though... but it seems he left as soon as he sorted out his pin problem...

I left the guy a message on ICQ but no clue if he'll see it...

So Phil. Check out the datasheet on this USB adapter.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/Da...DS_TTL232R.pdf

There are a bunch of different options I can enable/disable in the chip's EEPROM, and multiple things I can do with the wires. Do you see anything that would prevent my setup from working? My setup:

USB TXD into SSM RXD
USB RXD into SSM TXD
USB GND into SSM GND
USB RTS# into NONE
USB CTS# into NONE
USB VCC+5V into NONE
SSM VCC+12V into NONE
EEPROM, Driver defaults

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 10-30-2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Retired

Another thing... while the driver settings were posted earlier by Tobi, no one posted the EEPROM configuration options. So here they are:

In case they help.

EDIT: After toying with the program I found that I was looking at a template and not my device's settings. I have re-linked to the correct screenshot of my device's settings.

Last edited by Nomake Wan; 10-30-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tobi
Hi,
Sry i read the message only now.

Ok the wirring is correct.
Do you use the VCP or the D2XX Direct drivers?
Only the VCP-drivers works.

Which OS you use?

Do you have an additional COM-Port after installing the drivers?

If the adapter works correctly, you can connect with the RS232-Comm-Tool without an error.

I use the default adapter settings and it works.

I only change the baudrate, parity, databits...... from my additional COM-Port but i think this is not the problem because the monitor-tools setting up the right values.