SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Re: Every member please check in here!

Sorry, I am long winded!
Second time around here. I don't think I ever made it past 'lurker' the first time. I was a Subaru mechanic from around 2002 through 2007 in various dealers in AZ. I actually used to dread seeing SVXs in the service lane! Anyway, we had a 1992 pearl I bought for $250 with a 'knock' about 2 years ago. The 'knock' ended up just being loose flywheel to torque converter bolts. Found out later the guy had had a Subbie reman transmission put in about 5000 miles prior and they didn't torque the bolts right at the dealer! It quickly became my wifes baby and she LOVED the car.
Flash to August 2nd 2010. We were on our way to a doctors appt. and she was driving. We were at a stop light and something caught my eye in the mirror and WHAM! We got rearended at about 50mph by a female driver completely whacked out on meth. We both got moderate injuries. My neck is still not right and my wife previously hurt her back and this reactivated it. Needless to say, we learned to now carry the best insurance money can buy including uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. The car got some pretty wierd creases and was deamed totaled. Of couse the insurance company fought that it had no value. I bought it back for $200 since it was mechanically perfect. It has been sitting in the back yard since.
Fast forward to this year. My wife says she wants another SVX nearly everyday. I find one on Craigslist cheap and go and buy it. We now have a 1995 Green SVX. It runs good, drives fair. I has no powersteering (pump) at all and the rear end is completely out, but I do have those parts here on our 1992, so I need a weekend to get everything swapped out. I still don't know what happened, but the guy said his buddy put in a legacy rearend, the axles don't even fit. I drove it 150 miles home and realized the next morning I was machining the rear end apart the whole way. Right now the axles are actually sagging from their normal position in the housing and there is metal and gear oil everywhere. I, like you, also know legacy rear diffs have a much lower ratio so who knows. they had the 'FWD' fuse in it when I picked it up.
Anyway, I am glad to be back and look forward to seeing if I can help along the way.
SVX owners also need to stop complaining about lack of parts availability
Until recently I was daily driving an International Travelall. try getting parts for that at Autozone!

Jay