Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 01-30-2010, 02:37 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
CF and/or FG doors and decklids?

Okay so as I've said to a few about getting them made. Any interest? Gonna get them made anyways just wondering how good of a mold do me and my budy take care of making a full production quality not just to my satisfaction. Well my next trip out to Cali I should be at least getting him to start the deck lids. I'll have to figure out safest way to do the doors to him. Trying to get more peices up and production line up expanded. OEM fitment and maybe down the line when I get get fully moved some widebody stuff. LETS HEAR IT!
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Re: CF and/or FG doors and decklids?

the OEM trunk is fiberglass

1992 SVX LS-L Pearl White 102,000 miles (Gone)

2005 Evolution 8 SSL Tarmac Black (new daily)

1995 Eclipse GSX Durango Copper Pearl (teh beast)
276awhp/280awtq @ 18psi (560's inj)
260awhp/260awtq @ 17psi (stock inj)
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

There is also a fiberglass hood out there, so if you want to do something new, do the CF. There was a mold and they produced a limited run of the CF hoods with a scoop. You can see it on my Laguna Blue SVX. The mold got damaged and they decided there was not enough demand and did not redo it.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 01-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

weight comparisons and stock fitments would be my fun facts to help me decide yay or nae but as far as widebody kit... mmm yummy lets see it! hahah
Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by siceclipse View Post
the OEM trunk is made of super heavy and thick fiberglass
Fixed something above...

and for Seraphin, the doors WILL NOT WORK and I do not suggest you do them. The SVX doors are not peerless like the 350Z for example. They will crack with time.

Work on the lid and the hood...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:41 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Fixed something above...

and for Seraphin, the doors WILL NOT WORK and I do not suggest you do them. The SVX doors are not peerless like the 350Z for example. They will crack with time.

Work on the lid and the hood...
I can always just give a shot at the doors. Not saying will do a run and just start selling. Put in the time effort and test period to see how they react. Maybe I'll figure something out. Can't hurt right.
But yeah the plan is once I get to Cali to do a full CF build SVX. So I'll need to start shopping around for a good candidate about the same time I get there.
For structure I'd be doing CF peices on just dropping weight i'll go with the FG. And that run of CF hoods... AFBeefCake has one... No thanks. I'd go OEM figment or do something that fit the lines of the car better. Still full CF no FG frame with CF skin junk. But I'd still make a FG one too for those just looking for the weight. Don't want to cut into Tom's hood sales but just since I'm at it and cause the car will be a project showcase car of shop work. How many would want CF roofs aswell? Likely not with retaining sunroof as that would kinda be pointless... But will try to make and adjusted RA style vent or maybe a manual set up sunroof or something.
No I will not even think of T-Tops....
And special requests of what people would want to see made? 97' Grills? I want to do sideskirts badly aswell as splitters, lips, and diffusers.
JDM wings?
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 01-31-2010, 03:50 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
I can always just give a shot at the doors. Not saying will do a run and just start selling. Put in the time effort and test period to see how they react. Maybe I'll figure something out. Can't hurt right.
But yeah the plan is once I get to Cali to do a full CF build SVX. So I'll need to start shopping around for a good candidate about the same time I get there.
For structure I'd be doing CF peices on just dropping weight i'll go with the FG. And that run of CF hoods... AFBeefCake has one... No thanks. I'd go OEM figment or do something that fit the lines of the car better. Still full CF no FG frame with CF skin junk. But I'd still make a FG one too for those just looking for the weight. Don't want to cut into Tom's hood sales but just since I'm at it and cause the car will be a project showcase car of shop work. How many would want CF roofs aswell? Likely not with retaining sunroof as that would kinda be pointless... But will try to make and adjusted RA style vent or maybe a manual set up sunroof or something.
No I will not even think of T-Tops....
And special requests of what people would want to see made? 97' Grills? I want to do sideskirts badly aswell as splitters, lips, and diffusers.
JDM wings?
Seraphin, I would highly recommend you start with the CF lids. Those basterds are really heavy, you will be a "hero" if you fab it out of CF. The next thing I do is the hood. I guess you will definitely be receiving orders at least for the lid.

The doors are heavy, no doubt. I dunno if a CF frame will be good since I guess it WON'T seal well. You need the OEM frame for that. And installing the OEM frame on a CF door shell... I dunno everything just doesn't seem right.

For the roof, I would prefer to intall the vynil I recommended a while back. It is the dry carbon fiber type, and looks extremely good on the car (installed it on my Z). And... it is lighter than the CF skin

As for the rest, I consider them optional items since their OEM replacements are not that heavy...

I said it once and will say it again. The real additional weight on the SVX comes from:
- Front and rear metal bumpers.
- Trunk lid
- Seats
- Front hood.

I replaced/modified everything except for the lid.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Having taken a sunroof out of a parts car, it's really heavy. Ditching it would be a good way to save some weight.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

I'd be down for a trunk n JDM wing n perhaps a hood if it has a small scoop but fits well like stock.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Yeah Dan I know exactly what you mean. The doors are gonna be tricky as hell but when i get bored I'll want something to keep my brain running in the future. As the other pannels. Well it'll be more of matching a wider stance and maybe increase the wheel arch a hair.(not really needed but still looks nice.) We can really fit such a LARGE set of rubber under there in stock trim it's hard to really NEED the change but hey while I'm at it might as well right? I know you really just want the deck lid cause you have everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Having taken a sunroof out of a parts car, it's really heavy. Ditching it would be a good way to save some weight.
This isn't about a standard weight reduction, but yes we all know it's heavy as hell. Maybe for those that want to keep their sunroofs or want the "novelty" of it' we'll do a sunroof lid. That'll be easy and cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I'd be down for a trunk n JDM wing n perhaps a hood if it has a small scoop but fits well like stock.
I'll have to work on designs of a hood with build in scoop. I'm thinking an OEM one, one with a GC scoop recess to put what ever GC scoop you want, a GD/B/D recess to put a GD/B/D one even though i think only the D would look okay, and finally a build in one. Only problem with doing hoods is damn molds take up so much shop space. At least once there are a few they kinda fit in stacks together well.

Truthfully i think the hardest thing will be wanting to do aero work and try not to actually increase the drag coefficent by accident. Such a slick line we have stock. I just know i want to run a S202 wing on my current one or my next one. Or maybe make a wing somewhere between a V6 and a V7-9. IDK as long as it's funtional I guess. No point in making a good part in a market where people will have to spend the money if it is just for show. That's just my feelings about it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 02-01-2010, 06:03 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Oh yeah and for the deck/hoods I was thinking of finding what's needed to offer a good optional add on to newer dampeners that will match the weight difference and give a balanced responce of both the opening, closing, and holding in place. Cause I'm like that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM

I have wondered what a nice looking pedestal wing would look like on an SVX, although not just a universal park-bench bolted to the trunk lid.

Something like the S204's wing...

or something like this wing element... (obviously the Porsche 996 engine cover won't fit...)

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:52 PM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

I have always loved the S204 wing! I'll have to make sure to take lots of measurements when I get the wingless trunklid to send off to my budy to get done or wait till I go on "vacation" next for us to work on. I really want to do the S202 wing on mine I think...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

personally i'd prefer a jdm alcyone or the provo spoiler if i were to change from my usdm
Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

The real weight is in the gas door. CF one of those..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1˝" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..