Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t
Re: automatic trunk popper

http://viper.com/P-522T/Trunk+Release+Solenoid

Here is a Viper accessory for their systems. Shouldn't be too hard to put that in.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Id like more information on this, Elliot, especially if you have photos of your solenoid install. Im strongly considering this for my Ebony, as it is undergoing bodywork.
Your install will likely be different from mine, since I assume you will be keeping your trunk lock cylinder. Though, I will try to mock up something for the other release and take some pictures.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:24 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Your install will likely be different from mine, since I assume you will be keeping your trunk lock cylinder. Though, I will try to mock up something for the other release and take some pictures.
I like the look of a shaved lock cylinder, but I fear that something will go awry and if the opener cancel tab isn't dealt with, then I'd have a hard time getting in.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
I like the look of a shaved lock cylinder, but I fear that something will go awry and if the opener cancel tab isn't dealt with, then I'd have a hard time getting in.
Yeah, I need to idiot proof that cancel thing, it has already screwed me over in the parts car once. I'm probably going to limit it so it can't go into the cancel position.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yeah, I need to idiot proof that cancel thing, it has already screwed me over in the parts car once. I'm probably going to limit it so it can't go into the cancel position.
Exactly.

A combination of no lock cylinder, a jumpy trunk cancel, and the seat fold lock could yield a problem if they aren't all dealt with accordingly.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:05 PM

My heavy wing would break any trunk popper.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX

Just a comment: A truck popper would be great, but don't forget that that truck weighs about 60 - 75 lbs and will require considerable force to force UP following the latch being released .....
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
Just a comment: A truck popper would be great, but don't forget that that truck weighs about 60 - 75 lbs and will require considerable force to force UP following the latch being released .....
Harry
I wasn't planning on having the trunk open entirely remotely. I just want to have it unlatch. I don't like the idea of things moving too far on their own, sometimes I have been in a situation where I can't open the trunk all the way without hitting something. From the tinkering that I have done so far, there shouldn't be anything else needed too lift the trunk to get it to unlatch.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

I've got a trunk pop solenoid installed in my car. It's activated by my remote starter's AUX button on the key-fob. The solenoid simply pulls on the existing release cable, the trunk lid doesn't actually move at all, as once the cable's been yanked by the solenoid it's unlatched and the trunk just lifts open.

It's certainly not "ricer" to add the ability to open the trunk via a the key-fob when you're just trying to put your groceries back there. Now shaving the lock and making the truck literally pop open... meh, to each his own, but seems like a lot of work for just a cosmetic change to me.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Now shaving the lock and making the truck literally pop open... meh, to each his own, but seems like a lot of work for just a cosmetic change to me.
Wasn't really a big deal for me, I work at a custom body shop and the car was being worked on anyway. I was already doing fiberglass work on the wing, I just spent a couple minutes on the lock. That lock bugged me from the beginning, being off center and having that big bezel around it, it drew way too much attention, same with the door handles, antenna, windshield washers and hood emblem.

Mine certainly isn't going to pop open any more than it does with the cable.

I need to get the latch out of there and do some welding tomorrow to keep the cancel "feature" from working. I'll post pictures of that, I think people would want that, even if they aren't adding a solenoid or removing the lock. The setup is really slick, but it has proved to be annoying.

Last edited by Elliott; 07-10-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov13t View Post
http://viper.com/P-522T/Trunk+Release+Solenoid

Here is a Viper accessory for their systems. Shouldn't be too hard to put that in.

Woot woot, I'm so gonna get this! I can't wait for my best buy discount to kick in next thursday! I'm gettin new speakers, amps and eventually a viper system. I'm also gonna look into xm or sirius or hd radio!
Old 07-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
Woot woot, I'm so gonna get this! I can't wait for my best buy discount to kick in next thursday! I'm gettin new speakers, amps and eventually a viper system. I'm also gonna look into xm or sirius or hd radio!
A poper like this is very easy to install, but dont freak out when it sounds like something broke when you activate it the first time, they can be quite loud when you are not expecting it.

Just make sure to give it a solid mount, and it'll work fine

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 07-12-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsm484 View Post
A poper like this is very easy to install, but dont freak out when it sounds like something broke when you activate it the first time, they can be quite loud when you are not expecting it.
Ever hear one of those 100lb solenoids from AutoLoc? Now those are loud, sounds like a hammer smacking an anvil. We had a customer car come in with those installed because the previous shop thought it would be better to install those than properly adjust the door. After fixing the hinges and adjusting the doors so they open and close like a new car, we had to replace the latch assemblies, since they were bent by those beasts and put some 35lb solenoids in it.

If you need more than a 40lb solenoid to pop any door, you have another problem.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX

Quote:
previous shop thought it would be better to install those than properly adjust the door.

theres all my thoughts on that in 3 Icons

But Yes, those things are beefy, and Loud indeed. Wait...... I got it!
Instead of a normal Alarm Siren... get like 4 of these attached to the frame of your car, and have them randomly activate when the Alarm goes off.... tell me anyone who wouldn't freak out and get the hell out of the car when that started to happen

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)

Last edited by nsm484; 07-12-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx View Post
Harry
I take it you have never actually weighed a trunk?

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE