Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 03-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Headlight mods

Alright, I'm guessing this either won't work, doesn't fit the look and style of the SVX, or is just way too much work to be worth it. Or all of the above.

I got this idea from looking at Paul's model that he's been working on. What about putting individual headlights in the SVX, reminiscent of early-mid 90's Cutlass supreme and Grand Prix couples with the individual glass lenses. I know it doesn't fit the style but...

For those who might not know what I'm talking about

I think it would give it a bolder look and also, when I had my cutlass, I stuck 9006 silverstars and modified them in the lenses and the low beams by themselves lit up the night better than the brights on most cars I've been in. It would also have the glass lenses we all crave.

I know most of you won't like this idea as most are purists, including me. This is just a thought and would like to see people's opinions and whether or not it would even be possible.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:18 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: Headlight mods

I think it ruins the front line of the car. Remember, the car has a .29cd. Changing to that type of lights ruins the air distribution over the front of the car - not for the better.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 03-14-2009, 07:43 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
I think it ruins the front line of the car. Remember, the car has a .29cd. Changing to that type of lights ruins the air distribution over the front of the car - not for the better.
I realize it might change the drag coefficient a little bit but also its not like I'm running it at high speeds at the track. The front line of the car would definitely look different.
Hmmm... maybe someone with good skills can photoshop it in. I'd like to see a straight on front view as well as an angled one like in the pic of my previous post.

Also just to note, that style cutlass has a drag coefficient of .32

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-3870513.html
Quote:
In a major redesign, the all-new, front-wheel-drive Cutlass Supreme features coupe models in three trim levels: Cutlass Supreme, Cutlass Supreme SL and Cutlass Supreme International Series.

Designed around a specific "aerodynamic statement," the new Cutlass Supreme provides an expressive new profile that generates a low .32 drag coefficient.

The aerodynamic theme is evident through extensive use of flush glass and subdued "C" pillars in the rear quarter area. Flush mounted door handles integrated into the "B" pillars contribute to the sleek appearance.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:46 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

You could glaze over them with the EDM glass lenses, thereby preserving the aerodynamics, while still changing the look. That might be prohibitively expensive though.

Another thing, not to be overlooked, is the fact that there are in fact three distinct lights in each housing. Low beams, high beams, and fogs.

Just miscelaneous ramblings, but why are the lenses on my '95 Cutlass still crystal clear, while both my Subies are yellowed? No they're not glass, they're plastic of some sort, maybe true polycarbonate?
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
You could glaze over them with the EDM glass lenses, thereby preserving the aerodynamics, while still changing the look. That might be prohibitively expensive though.

Another thing, not to be overlooked, is the fact that there are in fact three distinct lights in each housing. Low beams, high beams, and fogs.

Just miscelaneous ramblings, but why are the lenses on my '95 Cutlass still crystal clear, while both my Subies are yellowed? No they're not glass, they're plastic of some sort, maybe true polycarbonate?
You must have a 4 door cutlass? I think it just has to do with the way headlight assemblies are made and mostly the material used.

Also something I loved in my cutlass that I have never seen in any other car, When I turned the brights on, the low beams and stock fogs stayed on as well and gave great vision everywhere on the road. Why is it that on just about all other vehicles, brights go on, low beams and fogs turn off?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:49 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
You must have a 4 door cutlass? I think it just has to do with the way headlight assemblies are made and mostly the material used.
Yup. I hate that car, but it just refuses to die! Proof that GM V6's will run badly longer than some cars will run at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Also something I loved in my cutlass that I have never seen in any other car, When I turned the brights on, the low beams and stock fogs stayed on as well...Why is it that on just about all other vehicles, brights go on, low beams and fogs turn off?
In most places it's illegal for the HI beams & fogs to be on together. IE: in NC it's illegal to have more than 4 white bulbs visible from the front of your vehicle at any time. I ran into this with my Mustang W/ Piaa pencil beams in the grille. Of course they were like turning on a welder!
Current Stable By Age:
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:58 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yup. I hate that car, but it just refuses to die! Proof that GM V6's will run badly longer than some cars will run at all.
You bet, an old friend of mine has a 99 malibu with the 3.1 and has had a bad head gasket or intake manifold gasket for 5 years and can drive it anywhere-so long as the heat is on full blast

Quote:
In most places it's illegal for the HI beams & fogs to be on together. IE: in NC it's illegal to have more than 4 white bulbs visible from the front of your vehicle at any time. I ran into this with my Mustang W/ Piaa pencil beams in the grille. Of course they were like turning on a welder!
Did not know this. I wonder if all 2 door Cutlasses were the way mine was or if it was just messed up? Nothing else was wrong with the car, no electrical issues, ran great and body was immaculate except for a door ding and a scrape on the rear bumper.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:

I did not know that, and I live in NC

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-14-2009, 11:29 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX

I had TN tags and wasn't in uniform at the time. (stationed @ FT Bragg).

They thought they had a tourist.
Current Stable By Age:
Old 03-14-2009, 11:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Our cars have ellipsoids now. Why would you want to downgrade to sealed beams?

Just curious.
2001 Audi S8
Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Our cars have ellipsoids now. Why would you want to downgrade to sealed beams?

Just curious.
It was just a thought and I was just curious. Plus like I said, my low beams in my cutlass were bright enough to see everything and much brighter than my brights on my SVX or brights on most other cars I've been in.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX

Definantly won't fit the style unless you were to de-retro-fit them behind a set Even then, you mentioned retrofitting 9006 bulbs in.......The svx HAS that style bulb already...so it makes absolutely no sence to me whatsoever to go through with that, especially if your main concern is light output.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Definantly won't fit the style unless you were to de-retro-fit them behind a set Even then, you mentioned retrofitting 9006 bulbs in.......The svx HAS that style bulb already...so it makes absolutely no sence to me whatsoever to go through with that, especially if your main concern is light output.
The 9006 bulb I was talking about is because for those fixed lenses, you have to buy the whole lense and bulb each time and that size was $25 each for just the standard GE since it was only used on that style 2 door Cutlass, 2 door Grand Prix, some Camaros and the Geo Storm. So in order to put silverstars or even to put HID's was to modify them.

As I said in my OP, I was just looking for input and pretty much expected what I got, I don't think it would even fit right as that style lens is only about 2 inches tall compared to the roughly 3" height of the stock lens and assembly.