Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: super charger? and a higher amp alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I sent my disassembled alternator case to ThermalTech Coatings to have it aluminum=ceramic coated for $40.00. You can either have a high polish (as on my valve covers) or the satin aluminum finish (alternator)
How much work is it to disassemble the case to where you can send it out to be coated?

I'm assuming you took apart your old alternator and sent the case out, while meanwhile the new 160A one was on it's way. Then you took the casing off the 160A and put the newly coated casings from your old alternator on the 160A? And vice versa?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

I have a couple of options here:

I delayed my order when I found out I had other color options than just red.

Originally I thought that after the alternator got here, and my case came back from ThermalTech, I would take it to an alternator repair shop and have them swap cases for me for whatever they charge. They have the experience, tools, etc. to do the job right.

A better plan was just send my case to Maniac Electric Motors and have them install it as part of the rebuild. The main advantage to this is that they don't have to use their casings, so the cost would be cheaper. This offsets the cost of having my cases plated. My present alternator operates perfectly, so I would just sell it instead of donating it as a core.

The case just unbolts and there are a few screws inside to remove. Take off the drive pulley to disassemble it. You have to press out the front bearing before you send it out to be coated.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 12-11-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Option 2 sounds like a great plan!

Except how will you sell your original alternator without it's casings?

Wonder if Maniac would accept back a core in pieces? IE, the coated casings you want them to use on the 160A rebuild, along with the "guts" of the old alternator which they are going to rebuild and put the casings you aren't using on anyway.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 12-11-2008, 07:25 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

John, after you get this new alt. Installed would you let us know if it has any effect on things like: seatbelt motor function, moon roof motor function, window motor function and seat motor function. I'm curious if they will be any faster or more powerful. Also the mirrors and door locks and anything you may notice!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
John, after you get this new alt. Installed would you let us know if it has any effect on things like: seatbelt motor function, moon roof motor function, window motor function and seat motor function. I'm curious if they will be any faster or more powerful. Also the mirrors and door locks and anything you may notice!
It probably wouldn't affect any one of those things by itself. I have a voltmeter installed which reads voltages and I can see the effects of everything that operates, both individually and in various combinations.

The motors (seat, roof, etc.) do not draw much (less than .1 V) Mine work fairly rapidly and without problem using the stock 95A unit.

What draws the most is the A/C compressor and anything that generates heat; the rear window defroster AND especially the heated mirrors! If I turn the heated mirrors on while driving, voltage goes down almost a full volt.

Where the high output amp would be beneficial is with operating multiple accessories simultaneously. An example is driving at night in the winter when the climate control system and blowers are operating, along with the rear defroster, heated mirrors, wipers. Add headlights and fog lights into the mix and some of the components would function at peak efficiency; you would not hear fan speeds slow down or speed up when using turn signals, lights may be a little dimmer, etc.

I will probably test this by turning on everything electrical in my car and moving the power seat, operating the windows, etc. and watching the voltages.

I would repeat the same tests with the new alternator and compare voltage levels.

My test results on a new stock 95A Subaru alternator and the alternator wiring upgrade can be found HERE

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 01-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The 160A high-output alternator in the aluminum-ceramic coated case has been shipped back to me by Maniac Electric Motors, and should arrive Friday.

It has been thoroughly bench tested and here are the comparisons with stock Mitsubishi units.

Stock alternator: up to 95 amps at 3300 rpm
Output at idle: up to 34 amps at 750 rpm (35% of max)

High-Amp rebuild: up to 160 amps at 1600 rpm
Output at idle: up to 70 amps at 750 rpm

Once I get it installed, I will get my own measurements. Maniac Electric says they rebuild these alternators to perform much more efficiently and allow the electrical system to operate much better at idle speeds because of its increased low-speed amp output, where the electrical drain and strain is on a stock alternator.

They said I should be able to turn on every conceivable accessory and load simultaneously and still have in excess of 13.5V at idle when hot; 14.5V when cold.

She sent a photo of the my redone stock unit (on the left) next to a Nippon-Denso alternator from an Acura Legend (right) to show me a comparison of the case finishes. Better photos to come when it gets here and after installation.

The nice thing about the "cermakrome" coating is it is a aluminum-ceramic based heat-dispersant coating that enables the alternator to run at a cooler temperature, thus prolonging the life of the alternator.

Last edited by svxcess; 03-25-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

And what's the final price on it? That is, if you don't mind my asking.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

It's $138 with no core and $78 with a return core...He has a link in one of his previous posts in this thread.
(plus shipping)
Old 01-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

That's excessivly cheap! I can't it.. Thanks for telling me. My supervisor's Jeep wouldn't work today and she is now paying $250 for an alternator..
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: a higher amp alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
It's $138.00 with no core and $78.00 with a return core for the standard 95A rebuild...He has a link in one of his previous posts in this thread. (plus shipping)
The standard rebuilt 95A alternator #13406 is $138.00 outright or $78.00 with a core return. See HERE

Comes with a 2-year hassle-free warranty. A return label comes with the alternator to easily return your core.

The High-output 160A alternator, #13406HO160, is $248.00 outright and $188.00 with a $60.00 core return credit, See HERE

This normally has a 1 year warranty, since they cannot know how it will be used (or abused). Since I told them it was for better stock electrical performance, and not using mega-gazillion-watt audio systems, they gave me the same 2-year warranty at no charge.

The actual aluminum-ceramic coating "cermakrome" finish of the alternator case by ThermalTech Coatings was an additional $40.00. The advantage of this coating is that it is a aluminum-ceramic based heat dispersant coating that enables the alternator to run at a cooler temperature, thus prolonging the life of the alternator.

So my final total cost was around $245.00, including shipping charges for sending my case to ThermalTech, having them send the refinished case straight to Maniac Electric, and the completed alternator shipped back to me.

By comparison, here are some of the online Subaru dealer prices for a stock 95A reman alternator, which only have a 1 year warranty.

Subaruparts wants $260.00 for the alternator ($210.00 for the alternator, plus a refundable $50.00 core credit after you return your old core.) Their shipping is $25.00 and add $15.00 to ship your old core back. So your initial cash outlay is $300.00. Refund of core credit makes your final cost $250.00

Liberty Subaru wants $270.00 ($220.00 for the alternator and a $50.00 refundable core charge added) Their shipping is $15.00. Shipping back your old core is another $15.00. So your initial cash outlay is $300.00. Refund of $50.00 core credit makes your final cost $250.00

1stSubaruparts is $248.00 outright. (A $50.00 core credit brings that price down to $198.00 after the core is returned). Now add 12% of the total for shipping ($30.00) and now we are up to $278.00. Shipping your old core back to them is another $15.00. Your initial cash outlay is $293.00. Refund of your core credit makes your final cost $243.00.

Maniac Electric Motors wants just $138.00 outright. Add 15.00 shipping for shipping to you and another $15.00 to ship back your old core, and you will have outlaid only $168.00 up front. After your $60.00 core credit is refunded, your final cost is $108.00 And your warranty is twice as long!

RECAP: STOCK 95A remanufactured alternator

Subaruparts.com...$250.00... 1 year warranty
Liberty Subaru...$250.00... 1 year warranty
1stSubaruparts.com...$243.00... 1 year warranty
Maniac Electric Motors...$108..00... 2 year warranty

Maniac Electric Motors 160A High Output...$218.00.... 1 year warranty

So I get a remanufactured stock 95A alternator, with a 2 year warranty, for less than half the price of a Subaru reman unit, that has half the warranty.

....or a 160A high-output alternator for $25.00 less than the best Subaru price I found for a standard 95A unit.

Last edited by svxcess; 11-14-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: and a higher amp alternator... and more

Time for a little online mini-tech session called:

ALTERNATOR 101

With non-usage of a vehicle for extended periods of time, a vehicle’s computers, clocks, alarm system, etc. will cause a battery's state of charge to drop (For example; 30 days in a parking lot and the vehicle may not start because of a dead battery, or a vehicle which is driven only a short distance once a week may end up with a discharged battery to the point where the vehicle may not start). But this would be considered abnormal usage of a vehicle and the normally expected result for the vehicle battery, alternator and electrical systems.

At idle, a vehicle's electrical loads may exceed the low-speed current (amperage) output of the alternator and when this happens the shortfall comes from the battery. This will result in a drop in the electrical system voltage as the battery delivers the additional electrical current to meet the demand. This is equivalent to the brown-outs experienced by homes and businesses when the electrical demand is more than the supply. This is where the benefits of high-output alternators come in.

A higher-amp output alternator will not harm your battery or charging system

A good rule of thumb is that more amps are not harmful, but more voltage is. If you look at electrical power like water, amperage is equivalent to the volume of water, and voltage is equivalent to water pressure. More amperage is like having a larger pool of water to draw from when you need it.

Extended periods of engine idling, with high electrical loads, may result in a battery entering a discharging situation. Attempting to recharge a battery by letting the engine run at idle may not be beneficial unless all electrical loads are turned “OFF”

Increased internal alternator temperatures from extended idling can also contribute to lower electrical system output voltage. As the alternator’s internal temperature rises, the alternator’s output capability is reduced, due to increased electrical resistance with heat. That is why I used the thermal barrier properties of the "cermakrome" coating from ThermalTech. This coating is a aluminum-ceramic based heat dispersant coating that enables the alternator to run at a cooler temperature, thus prolonging the life of the alternator.

Depending on the vehicle application, alternator current (amperage) output at engine idle speeds of 600-700 RPM can be as low as 35% of the full rated output. With enough electrical loads engaged, it is easy to exceed the alternator current (amperage) output when the engine is idling at 600-700 RPM. This is a normal condition– the battery supplements for short periods of time.

High Output alternators are designed to be around 55% of peak output at idle.

OUTPUT RATING

The SAE rating is the maximum amount of amps the alternator can produce in a "cold" state, about 80° Fahrenheit. An alternator remains cold for about 5 minutes, or less under heavy load. As it warms up, the output is reduced because the heat causes resistance in the rotor to increase and output amperage is reduced. The stock OEM-type alternators are more affected by heat than the heavy duty units.

The hot output rating is taken at 220° Fahrenheit

Items that affect the vehicle’s electrical system current and voltage at idle are the number of electrical loads being used, including any add-on accessories, and extended idle times. When the vehicle speed is above approximately 15 mph (24 km/h), the engine/alternator RPM is high enough and the alternator current (amperage) output is sufficient to supply the current (amperage) requirements of the vehicle as originally equipped and will recharge the battery.

You may experience dimming lights at idle, but that does not always indicate a problem. It may be considered normal for two reasons:

As the engine/alternator speed changes, so will the current (amperage) output of the alternator. As a vehicle slows, engine/alternator RPM slows, and the current (amperage) output of the alternator may not be sufficient to supply the loads, the vehicle system voltage will drop and the lights will dim.

Dimming of the lights is an indication that current is being pulled from the battery. If the battery is in a low state-of-charge (discharged condition), the driver will notice a more pronounced dimming than a vehicle with a fully charged battery.

When high current loads (A/C, blower fans, rear defroster, headlamps, cooling fans, heated seats, power seats, power windows) are operating or cycled “ON”, the alternator’s voltage regulator can delay the rise in output. This effect, usually at lower engine speeds, can take up to ten seconds to ramp up the alternator output. This is done to avoid loading the engine severely. To increase the current (amperage) output, additional torque is consumed by the alternator. The engine computer (PCM) will ramp up engine/alternator speed in small steps so engine speed variations are not noticeable to the driver.

SELECTING A POWER CABLE

Cables can only pass a certain amount of current, before they heat up and increase internal resistance to current flow. Therefore, if your car’s electrical system and added accessories require high current, then you need to use lower gauge (larger) power cables. That is why the alternator wiring upgrade is so important. When our wires were new and in peak condition, and all grounds were clean and shiny with good contact points, things may have been adequate. But internal resistance due to heat, corrosion and age of materials have taken their toll and decreased the amount of current they were originally designed to carry.

Here are some general values for cable gauge vs. current capacity in amps. These values are for wires up to 4 ft. in length.

Wire Gauge...Capacity

.2 gauge........215-265 amps
.4 gauge......150-200 amps
.6 gauge........105-150 amps
.8 gauge..........85-105 amps
10 gauge...........50-65 amps
12 gauge...........35-50 amps

Make sure that the voltage drop in the power cable is not too high. Keep the voltage drop below 0.5V. Resistance in the power cable will result in a power loss. So the larger the cable, within reason, the less the resistance.

If you don't think this is true, try jump-starting a car with a set of cheap 12 or 14 ga. jumper cables. With the thinner wires, internal resistance to current flow cause them to heat up more quickly-- and that is where the current is lost. A heavier set of wires won't have the same resistance and heat up much more slowly, allowing for maximum current transfer. The same is true with audio speaker cables.

WHAT SIZE FUSE?

Fuses are installed the circuit to prevent fires in the case of short circuits.

Remember, that the fuse (at the battery) is there to protect the cable. This means that the fuse rating should not exceed the amount of current that the cable can pass safely. The fuse should be installed inline as close to the power source (battery) as possible.

Rather than fusing the cable by the maximum amount of current it can pass safely (continuously), for example 125 amps for a 4 AWG cable, it is safer to use a fuse that is as small as possible, but that will still be able to pass enough current for the car's loads without regularly blowing.

The power wire that is used to provide additional battery maintaining capabilities from a High-Output Alternator is usually used in addition to the original power cable. In this case you are providing two paths for current, it is not necessary that this power cable be large enough to handle full output of the alternator’s charging capabilities, but at least enough to handle its additional abilities when necessary.

At this time of year, the loads placed on our electrical system are greatest. Winter driving, and the need to use current-hungry applications, such as heating/defrosting, rear window and mirror defrosters, lights, etc. are with us almost always in multiple combinations. Cold temperatures also place extra demands on the starter/cranking system.

If you haven't done it, at least do the wiring upgrade. Check and clean all connections and grounds to provide maximum contact and electrical flow.

Last edited by svxcess; 01-23-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

My bad, guess I didn't read close enough.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Holy crap Svxcess.. When someone asks a question you answer 30...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

And that's why they call me sv-XCESS

and deep down you really wouldn't want to have it any other way... right?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

And that's why they call me sv-XCESS

and deep down you really wouldn't want to have it any other way... right?

Of course not, your information is invaluable!! Keep it up