Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner88
What about Kevlar, its strong and lite.
Kevlar is generally used as an additional layer for impact protection and flexible strength. If you hit something and pulverize the fiberglass/CF, a Kevlar layer will hold it all together. It doesn't do as well on it's own though as the other two, in terms of rigidity.

That's my understanding anyway, if I got that completely wrong feel free to hit me over the head with it.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-18-2007, 05:29 PM

I have been thinking about doing some fiberglass projects myself and have been searching for an "impact friendly" material that is not Urethane. I havent found it exactly, but i did come across some flex resins http://www.reichhold.com/composites/...logy.cfm?ID=35. I think if that was combined with some regular rigid resin, and had two layers of carbonfiber(you could use regular glass) with a lyer of kevlar smushed inbetween; you would have a pretty damn strong bumper that would be lighter than urethane.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:30 AM
SVX owner wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Holy hoodgap batman!

Um, as for urethane....usually urethane is a pain in the ass as far as paint prep and final fit. Usually the bake cycle will distort the rubber, leaving you with parts that fit up like the aformentioned car.(Which, by they way, is an example of among the better fitting bumpers ive seen)
That's what happens when you buy replica. On top of that, I bought the bumper used for a really cheap price and the fitment was a lot worse than I expected even for a replica.

I now have an authentic bumper made of Pliable Fibre Reinforced Plastic (PFRP). The fitment on my new bumper is awesome. It's extremely light (Approx. 18 lbs.) and flexible. Also, the gap was even and a lot less pronounced

I suggest researching this type of material as I believe it matches your criteria.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM

Has anymore work been done on this? I'm getting ready to pull my fenders in school in a couple of weeks but I also want to do something with my bumpers.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to UPnorth362
Its been slow going at the moment. I have made a small amount of progress, but nothing to write home about. My goal is to have something mocked up by the 4th of july.
IT'S 5:00 SOMEWHERE!!!

92 Liquid Silver SVX LS-L
Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Do you plan on making the bumber come out wider or will it match up with the stock fender?