How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-16-2002, 08:01 PM
Hater

headlight lenses clearer!

i found some 3M plastic cleaner and plastic polish at a small local NAPA auto parts store today. i've never seen these products at my usual haunts (Pep Boys, Advance Auto) so i figured i'd try 'em. i've used 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze before, and it works great on small scratches and stuff. anyways, they seemed to work pretty good on the headlight covers. i just did the right side, so i could compare it to the left. i'll take some pics and post them soon (if this stupid webTV will let me). i don't know if the difference will be real obvious in a picture, though. you can notice it by standing in front of the car. my covers weren't really in THAT bad of shape, so i don't know if this stuff will work wonders on some covers that are real "yellowed".
Alan
Old 04-16-2002, 08:22 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Thumbs up

Alan,

I use 3M products all the way through. I use the fine/median cut to clean it up first then go through the plastic cleaners. They will look like glass afterwards.

Lwin

ps. Doug (mohrds) has another unique way of doing the headlights so that they even look better.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-16-2002, 09:21 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
Alan,

I use 3M products all the way through. I use the fine/median cut to clean it up first then go through the plastic cleaners. They will look like glass afterwards.

Does this get rid of the "film" that magically reappears after the headlights are wiped with a cloth? When I spray water on them or use any kind of cleaner they seem to be clear when wet, but wipe them with a clean cloth or let them dry and you can just see the outside film up again. What the heck is that stuff?
Old 04-16-2002, 09:26 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I use "Scratch Out" by "KIT". Comes in a yellow car-wax-like bottle. Use it just like rubbing compound. It works perfectly, but it has to be reapplied about every 6 months. Not too bad i think.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:21 AM
BradT

I noticed mine were a bit hazy and slightly yellow, so I tried some Meguiar's plastic cleaner. They are indeed cleaner now and less hazy -- really brings out the yellow.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:24 AM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
Guess im lucky....10 years later my headlights are still clear...BUT my center grill is not

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 04-19-2002, 04:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: headlight lenses clearer!

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
i found some 3M plastic cleaner and plastic polish at a small local NAPA auto parts store today. i've never seen these products at my usual haunts (Pep Boys, Advance Auto) so i figured i'd try 'em. i've used 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze before, and it works great on small scratches and stuff. anyways, they seemed to work pretty good on the headlight covers. i just did the right side, so i could compare it to the left. i'll take some pics and post them soon (if this stupid webTV will let me). i don't know if the difference will be real obvious in a picture, though. you can notice it by standing in front of the car. my covers weren't really in THAT bad of shape, so i don't know if this stuff will work wonders on some covers that are real "yellowed".
Alan
Landshark,

I went to my local NAPA store. The proprietor tried unsucessfully to look up the cleaner & plastic polish in the 3M catalog. We could not find them. Can you post the exact 3M title of each and their #M stock or part numbers. Thanks/

Also, are you located in Bethel Twp. in Delaware county in southeast PA. If you are, then you are only about 5 miles from me in northern DE.

Larry III
Old 04-19-2002, 04:11 PM
gcookaustin

FWIW, I bought a bottle of Novus cleaner for 8.98 incl. shipping. It was in Yahoo!!!!! Shopping
Old 04-19-2002, 11:19 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Re: Re: headlight lenses clearer!

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII

Can you post the exact 3M title of each and their #M stock or part numbers.
Larry,

Let me jump in here with the info you need.
3M Plastic Cleaner - Part No. 39017
3M Plastic Polish - Part No. 39010

I bought it from www.ajprindle.com
It looks like they do not sell them individually anymore on their website (but they are part of the still available 3M Detailing Kits). The intersting thing was that they will only ship the polish by ground only as it is combustible. So if you so order the polish off a website, skip the more expensive airmail option as they won't do it anyway.

Matt