Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-13-2002, 01:25 PM

I Got Hit!!!!!!

some jerk in a pontiac grandam hit me in the rear end. i was stopped at a stop light and i guess he was too busy picking his nose and he railed me!!!!! i got out and he tried saying to me that i should have went the light was green, trying to make it my fault. i went on to tell him that it is impossible for two cars to occupy the same space at the same time and the van in front of me didn't move yet.

i asked him if i have a break light out or three and they all went out at the same time for him to think that i moved......i got his name, liscence #, and phone #. i couldn't call the police cuz i was late to work.

didn't see any damage at the scene, but when i got home and wiped the rain grim off of my car, there is black scratch marks on the bumper-no dents or anything. i tried to use wax to get them out, but no luck. should i call him and tell him that he has a choice, pull out his check book or i will call the police and file charge, or should i just cut my loss of a black scratchless bumper??

what do you guys think?

not to forget that he didn't even say that he was SORRY!

Kelli
Old 04-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Green1995SVX

I would, personally, just call the police asap. Thats just me though.

-Mike
Old 04-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Green1995SVX

Oh, also, good to hear that noone was hurt as a result of the guys stupidity.

-Mike
Old 04-13-2002, 01:42 PM
Boone

Glad yer OK, Kelli. A similar thing happened to me. Rearended, stopped in traffic by a day dreamer. Was an old guy, really apologetic. Just scratched my bumper but crushed the grill/radiator on his Nissan Stanza. Antifreeze was dripping so I never followed up and called it even. Smallish scratches and scrubs can be polished out. Mine aren't too noticable. Why not have a body shop look at it and make a decision. At least you'll have a number for the jerk. B.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:22 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Hey Kel

Glad you are ok and your car is ok (I know black stuff). Knock on wood it's not off the road. Call the police and put this on his record. I'd kick his ass but I can't make another trip out there at this time. If he did not say sorry, Call the cops

That's what they are there for.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-13-2002, 04:30 PM
punisher

Just remember, it could have easily happened to anyone. I dunno about the not apologizing thing though. But if it's only paint on your car, that can easily be removed with any sort of chemical (I used a tar remover from an auto parts store to take some paint off of my dad's car after I had a little accident). Gasoline works as well, from what I've been told. I'm not too sure the police will do anything. If he had fleed the scene of the accident that would be a different story. He stopped, you got his number...now all that is left is either you forgetting about it, him paying you, or you calling the insurance company and reporting it and having it fixed that way. You're gonna need his insurance policy number though if you report it to the insurance company, so you may need to call him for that. But it does seem kind of pointless to claim it on insurance and have your premium go up for a small amount of damage to your bumper. That's what bumpers are for, after all. Best bet is to get some sort of cleaner, rub it in like a mother and see if that does the trick.
Old 04-13-2002, 04:50 PM

Play it safe......

Hey Kelli,

I'm glad you are okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My parents always taught me to play it safe. You should file a report AND have the bumper/bumper assembly inspected. Damage is not always visible on the outside. It is possible that he fubar'd something behind the bumper. You never know!!!

Once again.........Glad you're okay
B.C
Old 04-13-2002, 10:56 PM
EverclearAtMSU

glad to hear you and the car are ok

Sure your neck doesn't hurt a bit
Old 04-14-2002, 06:15 AM
calmone

what you need is his insurance company's name so you can file a claim. calling the cops is possibly not productive. sure, it inconveniences him if a ticket is written, but yiou have to go to court too to make it stick. that's if the cop would write a ticket (some don't for fender benders) and even then ya never know. MAKE AN INSURANCE CLAIM!! even if it's just a hundren bucks, it will go against him as a "fault" accident and possibly raise his rates.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:03 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
A note to all. My dad has been a cop for over 30 years, my father in law is a retired cop, his neighbor is an insurance agent (my agent)....Always always always get a police report at the scene of any accident. Unless you absolutely have to be somewhere else it is very important that you establish who hit who. You will have a hard time proving that an accident ever even happened if the other guy denies it. A little paint on your bumper is no proof - even if it matches the other guys car. Some insurance companies can be very hard to deal with and the hour you wait for a cop to show can save you 6 months of trying to settle a claim.

Of course, if you cause the accident, ignore the above.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:44 AM

Just curious

Kelli,

Did you have your bumper looked at? Did you file a report or a claim? Details. Details. We want details

B.C.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:50 AM

Re: Just curious

Quote:
Originally posted by Never2phat
Kelli,

Did you have your bumper looked at? Did you file a report or a claim? Details. Details. We want details

B.C.
i looked at the bumber, no real damage, cleaned it up. and i didn't file a claim, a little thingy called NJ no fault--ever insurance company involved in an accident, no matter fault pays----NJ SUCKS!!!!

Kelli
Old 04-15-2002, 01:58 PM
punisher

Hey know what's weird? We learned about NO FAULT today in practical law. Although PA does not have that, it still sux. But I'm very happy to hear you're not making a big deal out of a little bump on the bumper. I bumped some lady's bumper, no real damage to her car (that i noticed) but if she had made a big deal, it really would have sucked for me....since it really was just a little bump. She was nice and forgiving and I'm a little wiser from the experience. Pay it forward baby, pay it forward.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:20 PM

well, here is some updates on my runin, i mean, the moron's runin with my bumper.

my neons fail to come on, so i called the guy to tell him that he had broken one, which he had. he told me to "get over it"

i proceeded to go down to the Police station to file a report. luckly for me the officer that had helped me fill out the report, i knew. he told me that i could issue a summons for careless driving and since i had a witness, my bf was in the car, i would probably win. insurance points can get very expensive and he would be getting two of them.

so i am going to give this jerk one more chance to do the right thing. he can pay me now, or i will see him in court. i am going to write him a nice letter telling him what i plan on doing, so i don't have to pay a court drop fee if he desided to do the right thing then and there. this is now all on him.

some people are so immoral!

Kelli

Old 04-16-2002, 01:23 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

some people are so immoral!

Kelli

Cheer up. He will suffer at the end of the day. Yeah Some are immoral. I am immortal (so far)

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!