How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-22-2001, 07:00 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Well the first Springtime in the Smokies meet is now past. From my point of view, it was a success, and I hope everyone who came had as much fun as I did.

At various points, we had 15 different cars participating, although not all at the same time.

The kick-off event was the Friday night reception. Everyone drove up en masse from the hotel. Shortly before 8:00, someone knocked on the door, and when we went to answer, were greeted by the awesome sight of a line of SVXs pulling in to park. I have to say that it was most impressive. It was really great to finally meet everyone in person, and be able to put a face with an internet handle. In addition to everyone who hangs out on this site, we had two local cars - Jerry fro Sevierville, and Ren and June from Cookeville, which is about 100 miles W of here. The weather cooperated beautifully, and we were able to go out on the deck and carry on outside. We were also priviledged to have the first viewing of the SVX model. John brought the prototype, complete with moon roof and little tiny windshield wipers. It's a great model. If you haven't got your name on the list, do it while you still can.

We also had another model, this one in honor of aredubjay's being accused of SVX spamming. I'll let him explain, if he will

And, though it pains me to do so, I must confess that KY won the KY/TN taste off. Blanton's was the clear favorite. I must go have a conversation with the folks in Lynchburg. Folks also got to try the Talisker's single malt, courtesy of montypython, and compare it with a bit of Laphroaig. Thanks to both Colin and Randy for their contribution.

Saturday, we drove to Clingman's Dome, in the Smokey Mountain National Park, and here providence surely smiled upon us. Jerry was able to provide some local intelligence - it appears that this was also the weekend of the annual Rod Run in Pigeon Forge, so the planned route resembled a parking lot, rather than a road. Jerry was able to steer us on a back route which not only avoided the traffic jam, but was much more beautiful and interesting a drive. We stopped at the Sugarlands Visitor Center, for a photo op, then began our assault on Clingman's Dome. I'm glad to say that everyone negotiated the climb sucessfully.

From there, we made the run into Harriman, where we were treated to a cookout put on by Tim Duff, owner and general manager of Earl Duff Subaru, who drives a blue 96 LSi. Unfortunately, he couldn't join us for the drive, but he and several of the staff stayed around for the afternoon to do the cooking and get things ready. Randy won an LL Bean tote for the highest mileage car, Colin won for driving the fartherest distance, and Ren won for the best appearance. Everyone got a T-shirt and Subaru koozy. I want thank Tim, his family and staff for helping make the meet a success. If you're in the E. TN region, and need anything Subaru, it's the only place to go, for my money. Even if you're not in TN, give them a call. They'll be delighted to ship SVX parts.

continued
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.

Last edited by svxter; 04-22-2001 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2001, 07:18 PM

Meet Report - Part 2

After the cookout, everyone returned to Oak Ridge, and some of us met later for conversation in the Garden Plaza lounge. On Sunday, a few of us (Aredubjay, immortal_suby & myself, plus spouses) wound up the meet with brunch, before officially bringing the meet to an end. I know Abbie and I had a great time, and I hope everyone else did, too.

Thanks again to everyone who helped make it such a great weekend. Special thanks to John (john19688) for bringing his digital video camera, and recording a bunch of video. He's going to edit it down into a little Quicktime movie, and post it here soon. Special thanks also to Don (SVXPhile) and Barry, for being the official still photographers. Look for pictures from them soon.

Be sure to mark your calendar for next year - we'll shoot for 30 cars.

Attendees (at one point or another)

Colin & Irene (montypython) - Wisconsin
Randy & Shari (aredubjay) - Kentucky
Jerry & Roni (svxxx26) - W. Virginia
Don (SVXphile) & Barry W. Virginia, E. TN
Huck & Carol - Kentucky
Ron (tsutsuhund) - Maryland
Matt & Kim (immortal_suby) - South Carolina (They each brought an SVX!)
John (john19688) - North Carolina
Plus local owners - we have enough for a TN mini-meet!
Rita & Mack
Ren & June -
Jerry - (hope to see Jerry on the Network soon!) P.S. Thanks for guiding us around Pigeon Forge
Jim(fjm57) & Barb -
The Earl Duff Subaru folks.

Looking forward to next year.

Last edited by svxter; 04-22-2001 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2001, 07:39 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Smoky Mountain Meet

Back home safely by 5PM, after dropping Barry off in Johnson City. A super-size thanks to Bill and Abbie for organizing such a great meet. Barry was loading some of his digital pics into the computer this afternoon, and I am sure we can get them on Yahoo soon. I have never posted pics here so I may need some directions from someone. Will be looking for everyone to check in after a safe trip home. More later....Don
Old 04-23-2001, 09:41 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
We also had another model, this one in honor of aredubjay's being accused of SVX spamming. I'll let him explain, if he will
Ah yes. The "SpamSVX" was a wonderful addition to the festivities -- complete with parsely garnish, I might add. Not to mention Colin's (montypython) contribution of Monty Python's "Spam" song. Did we mention the initiation of some to Tuvan "Throat Singing." As for the "Spamming" accusation, it came from Paul (Rev_Hard) who was simply jealous that he could not catch me in the amount of posts -- I really am not a "spammer." However, I have posted an excellent recipe for "Spam Parmesean" -- you can find it by using our "Search Function" . Bill's next sculpture in Spam is reputed to be a "bust" of "Spamala Anderson."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-23-2001, 08:06 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Spam

<Bill's next sculpture in Spam is reputed to be a "bust" of "Spamala Anderson." >

If it would meat with everyone's approval,
maybe he could do a Spam Whale....that would be a Treet!

Don
Old 04-23-2001, 08:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
A tastefully done likeness of Treet Williams would also be nice as would be a patriotic image of Uncle Spam. So, should we declare this our latest SVX Meat: Spamtime in the Smokehouse?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2001, 05:02 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Spam for all

A few pictures have been posted on the Yahoo clubsite.The Smoky Mountain "meat" Aredub has refered to is one of the featured pics. Hopefully I can get some posted here in the next day or so. Enjoy!
Don
Old 04-24-2001, 09:27 AM

Registered SVX
Don, tell Barry he did an excellent job! That little Minolta puts out some fantastic pics! If you don't think he'd mind, I'll capture the "family" pic and put names on them, so everyone can see their fellow SVXers and put names with faces. Again, fantastic job, and, I'm looking forward to more, especially your pics which were taken "the old fashioned way." Perhaps, I'll get that roll of Snowshoe pics developed this week.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2001, 10:24 AM

Don

Thanks for the pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them. Thanks also for reminding me that photo finishers will also put things on disk for you. I've been fretting over not having a digital camera. I'll have to dust off the Minolta and take some pictures to put in my briefcase.

Again, many thanks to you & Barry for documenting the meet.

Old 04-24-2001, 11:22 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Pics

Thanks for the kind words. Barry's camera is a Nikon Coolpix 880 I believe (might have the number wrong) and it is an EXCELLENT camera in all respects. The sharpness, exposure, and focusing are first-rate and though it IS expensive, I would highly recommend it.
I am still trying to get the money together to get my Georgia trip pictures from the developer, so it may be awhile before I can post my "old fashioned" 35mm pics of the meet. They will have a hard time beating any of Barry's shots. We met in the 8th grade back in Bluff City and shared an interest in photography, sports cars, and science that we never lost. By the end of the meet, he was really feeling like one of the gang; thanks to everyone for making a him feel right at home. (he did own an Austin Healey and MGB once!)

More later...
Don
Old 04-24-2001, 11:24 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Family pic

<If you don't think he'd mind>

Of course he wouldn't mind. Go for it!

Don
Old 04-24-2001, 11:39 AM

Re: Barry

Well, Don, as far as I'm concerned, Barry is most certainly and surely "one of the gang." He just happens to be one without an SVX, that's all.

Old 04-24-2001, 05:40 PM

Registered SVX
My bad. I thought, at the reception, you'd said it was a Minolta. Of course I was hearing through ears that were tainted with the effects of Mr's Daniels and Blanton, with a touch of the Isle of Skye -- The Pipes, Lad. Can ya hear 'em? Again, great job on the pics. So, is Barry looking for a "weird windowed coupe" now?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-25-2001, 07:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Great meet - Extra thanks to svxter and Earl Duff subaru for their efforts to keep us all happy.

I finally get to put voices in my head to go with the written words here. Great to meet all of you nuts in person.

Thanks to John for the CD, Earl Duff's for the cool loot, and Svxter for the hospitality and planning.

Pics in my briefcase - not super clear because I tried to keep the filesize small for us modem users
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 04-28-2001, 09:40 AM
Is it Summer yet?

Pictures Posted

I've posted pictures of the Smoky's meet in my Locker.
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K