How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 05:41 AM
no limitation as limitation

.... im checking out this radio recording... the dude is comparing his car to a stealth bomber..... "i wax my car once a week so it has a preaty sweet shine so the radar bounced off of it". thats odd because i thought it was the multi facet geometric surface that ABSORB radar if anything the shine would inhibit the stealth. myth busters just busted the hole reflective surfaces jumbo gumbo. maybe the "command presence" (if you want to call it that) helps but i doubt it.

and dont forget to rev the engine to 6000 grand.... does the iroc even go to 6000rpm?

the iroc is magic baby.

thanks for posting that link it made my day
Old 02-17-2005, 07:54 PM
SVX Appeal

It's the paint. Stealth technology is extremely dependent on the paint. The geometry is certainly a factor, but it's nothing compared to the magic paint. ...and yes, they take very good care of the paint. Waxing it would probably destroy it, but they do clean it regularly with a special cleaning solution. Supposedly the stuff is super expensive, but that's probably just government waste, much like the $500 crescent wrench. I'd love to get my hands on a pint of that stuff. A mat-black SVX is fine by me, but I think the paint would cost more than the car.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:34 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I've had my fair share of detectors for years. I discovered that my beltronics detector was much better than V1.

But as of late (for the past 3 years), I've been relying on a police scanner and eyes. Put it this way, with a lot of agencies in IL using laser, your rader detectors are useless

Just use your eyes and go with the flow of traffic. Do not go a whole lot faster than the car behind you and if you are in the upper middle of the pack, the cops will not chase you unless they are hunting in packs.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
It's the paint. Stealth technology is extremely dependent on the paint. The geometry is certainly a factor, but it's nothing compared to the magic paint. ...and yes, they take very good care of the paint. Waxing it would probably destroy it, but they do clean it regularly with a special cleaning solution. Supposedly the stuff is super expensive, but that's probably just government waste, much like the $500 crescent wrench. I'd love to get my hands on a pint of that stuff. A mat-black SVX is fine by me, but I think the paint would cost more than the car.
you are correct sir. note that iroc is not composed of these materials.

The B-2's body is mainly composed of composite material -- combinations of various lightweight substances. The composite material used in the B-2 bomber is specifically designed to absorb radio energy with optimum efficiency. Parts of the B-2, such as the leading edge, are also covered in advanced radio-absorbent paint and tape. These materials are very expensive, and the Air Force has to reapply them regularly. After every flight, repair crews have to spend many hours examining the B-2 to make sure it's fit for stealth missions.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:17 PM
One teal and One yellow

Re: lead foot advice...

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Don't speed at night. No radar detector can save you. And whether it be day or night, don't forget to use your turn signal when the cop pulls you over.

what happened? how much were you over the speed limit?

i think detector doesn't work all the times? maybe my detector is getting old. i was pulled over 4 yrs ago at nite....my detector warned me but the cop already caught me.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-17-2005, 09:23 PM

in most instances (from what ive read) when your detector goes off the cop already has your speed (i think its like a 2 second delay for radar and less for lazer) so i wouldnt be able to tell you how well a dector could work. if your in a pack of cars you have a betterchance of slowing down because the cop could be hitting the car infront of you or behind you.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:27 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Just use your eyes and go with the flow of traffic. Do not go a whole lot faster than the car behind you and if you are in the upper middle of the pack, the cops will not chase you unless they are hunting in packs.

L
I had a roadtrip back from buffalo in new year time, about 300miles back to town. I finished straight in 3hrs. So average spd is 100mph in a minivan w/ 6 pple and alot of baggages.

I mainly used my eyes and the 5yrs old detector. Usually, I don't want to be the fastest, but sometimes it's crazy and double the spd limit. Maybe I was lucky.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-19-2005, 01:16 AM
SVX Appeal

I like riding motorcycles for many reasons, but one of them is their virtual invincibility to radar. Obviously, they're small targets, but they also have great acceleration characteristics. This is a trait in common with the SVX. Most speed traps are quite obvious, and almost all of them can be discovered if you pay attention and think about where they might be. When you see a trap, just slow down! Once you've passed it, the SVX's excellent acceleration will carry you away at whatever speed you want.

When there's no place a radar operator to hide, you can be awfully naughty without much fear of getting caught. On the long straightaways, I usually check the skies for any low-flying airplanes. Moving patrol cars in traffic can easily be spotted if you're attentive. Even unmarked vehicles aren't terribly hard to spot. If you're not paying enough attention to speed traps, suspiciously inconspicuous cars, and other such things, perhaps you shouldn't be driving at all, let alone at any high speed.

I admit that I make use of an unusually large part of my speedometer's potential on a daily basis. I just mind my speed very carefully in certain sections of road, and I pay close attention to the cars around me. This not only keeps me safe from tickets and legal fees, but makes me a rather safe driver as well.

Radar detectors are of little value to me. On the infrequent occasions when I do get stopped, it's by an officer who knows I was going fast but can't prove it. The stop is simply to let me know that he knows. The problem - and I usually know this even before I see him - is that I was too far away and there was too much traffic between me and the radar. Another common situation is when I've been traveling around a corner and slowed down well before I was headed directly towards the radar. There's a handful of places like that where I live, three of which I travel regularly.

There's a particular section of road on my commute where there is an exceptionally good hiding spot that the State Patrol uses regularly. It's near the end of a long, sweeping corner. If you make the effort to look about fifteen seconds ahead, you can see the end of the corner for a few seconds before if becomes obscured by terrain in the middle of the turn. The trap is hidden during the entire corner and is then suddenly exposed at the last second. When the trap is occupied it's quite apparent from a long distance, but nobody bothers to look that far ahead and thus, the trap is very popular and very effective. In fact, the reason people speed through that zone is because the limit is set very low - probably because the corner is somewhat blind, which makes it dangerous, but only because people don't look far enough ahead! The officers watch people on the far side of the corner to decide which ones to target. I once had an officer very specifically target me as I came around the bend. He was so close that I could see him aiming his radar gun directly at me; there was no mistaking that I was his target. He pulled me over anyway and explained to me that I was clocked at exactly the speed limit but that I was going much faster at the beginning of the corner and that "it's my lucky day because he wasn't going to give me a ticket this time." Rather, the truth is that he knows I was going pretty quick but had no idea exactly how fast because there's no possible way he could clock me from that far away, across all that traffic, and at that angle. He was pretty sure that he was gonna nab me. I always wonder if they know I'm onto their game or if they really think I'm just lucky. He seemed perplexed that I would slow down so much, so suddenly, and for no apparent reason.

Every so often no amount of paying attention, cleverness, and luck can save you. If you speed, eventually you will get caught. In my area, for years the speed traps were always conventional traps. A sting operation used to mean that there were several cars sitting in a trap. Lately they've had one officer hiding in the bushes or crouching on an overpass with a handheld radio. His squad car is always parked somewhere else entirely. He clocks you and radios ahead to one of a dozen officers waiting down the road. The random pedestrian walking across the footbridge is suddenly worth slowing down for to check and see if that thing in his hand is a Discman or a LIDAR gun. So far they've only been hiding in areas with very little traffic, like overpasses with no entry/exit ramps. Sooner or later I expect to find them laying prone in the median behind a discarded tire. Drivers are going to become neurotic from constant fear of snipers in the trees. People will be locking up their brakes because a shopping bag on the shoulder moved abruptly from the breeze of a passing truck. Paranoia will run rampant. I'm sure that's part of the psychology and philosophy of speed patrols. Big Brother may or may not be watching, but you never can be sure. A scanner is pretty effective though.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
On the way to my work, there is a big Exit sign that is at the bottom of a small hill on the freeway. As you come down it, you become visable to radar and that is where they get you. The sign blocks your view of them and they use lazer at a close range. It is a good spot for them, and you can not see them until it is too late. You just have to know that is a spot that they seem to use almost every day and slow down through that area. It is so effective for them, that they use it all of the time almost any time of the day or night.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Radar detectors can be very effective. The idea is that they should be able to pick up reflected waves. However for this to work, there has to be something for the waves to reflect off of. Obviously because of that, the detectors will work much better in traffic. Also those concrete walls can help, however if there's no traffic, the radar gun shouldn't be in use, and therefore there would be no way to detect it until it is in use, shooting at you.

I have seen a few good jammers out there. However they are VERY expensive. The cheapest (passive) jammers run $600-$800 and are only effective for a few seconds. They are the type that send out a "dirty signal" when they detect radar activity. This will scramble the radar gun for a few seconds, theoretically giving you enough time to slow down. The other jammers (active) run upwards of $1000 and actively jam a radar signal once they lock onto it. I know of several people (including one cop) who have used these jammers successfully.

I'm going to try to find the company that sold them and post a link here...if one exists.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
This one looks familiar...however the name doesn't ring a bell.

http://www.jammersstore.com/p_scorpion_ka.htm
Old 02-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
HaHaHa... an IROC is fast? An Iroc with T-tops? HaHaHa, if it has T-tops it came from the factory with a 305 fairly entertaining... Still listening though... Needs hot roding... and the chain steering wheel is the poopie
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.

Last edited by NapaBavarian; 02-20-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:51 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I've had my fair share of detectors for years. I discovered that my beltronics detector was much better than V1.

But as of late (for the past 3 years), I've been relying on a police scanner and eyes. Put it this way, with a lot of agencies in IL using laser, your rader detectors are useless

L
I've always been curious as to where one can get a police scanner. Care to share the info?
Old 02-20-2005, 02:06 AM

you can get a police scanner at radio shack. it looks like a large walkie talkie, or you can get the onle that go's in a car that looks like a 2 way radio , the kind that truckers use (external antenna required)
Old 02-20-2005, 08:46 AM

after riding a few hours with the local PD on my internship, i have learned a few things...
1. cops in my town won't waste their time pulling someone over unless they are doing at least 10 over the limit...and have another reason for a ticket/ seatbelt or things in the rearview, unless they are really going. (they don't like giving out speeding tickets because it just adds to NJ's insurance rates)
2. if you are nice and civil and don't have any points on your license, you are less likely to get a ticket.
3. old people and women in mini vans are almost safe...and i do say almost
4. i feel that the officer's handle themselves as they would by themselves because the know me from the squad and are more likely to act as themselves.
5. there is always that one cop that had a bad day and has it out for you and there is nothing you can do about it.
6. don't cut someone off right in front of a cop...they don't like that
7. just be respectful don't piss them off by letting them know how much you know about the law (they have the book in the car-how would you like someone telling you how to do your job), and and above all, be honest
8. if you get a ticket, go to court, usually it gets knocked down to a lesser offense or at least points taken off

radar detectors are illegal in jersey, if they see them, they are given a summons.

all departments are different though, and i don't know what kind of areas yous guys live

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.