Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2004, 10:36 PM
XSVX Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ryan
There is a discrepancy between steps 4 and 5. You can't move the selector (5) when the ignition is set to off (4).
Old 07-23-2004, 07:35 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Yes you are right, however, there is a shift lock override button either visible or hidden under a panel depending on the year that you must press in order to move the shifter from P to D.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:44 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Yes you are right, however, there is a shift lock override button either visible or hidden under a panel depending on the year that you must press in order to move the shifter from P to D.

The 94 SVX's had the hidden switch. It's under a small cap on the left side of the shifter assembly. Under the cap you'll see a screw. Take the screw out, slide the metal piece the screw sat in to the left, and push a thin, long screwdriver down the hole in the metal tab. That should activate the over-ride. Now you can move your shifter. It's the same procedure you would use on your Impreza.

I haven't done it in a while, so I may be a little off in my directions.

Dave
Old 07-23-2004, 07:50 AM
XSVX Owner

My Impreza is 5-speed

But yeah, I had a hunch the shift-lock would come into play with the procedure, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the instructions guys. Tonight I am attempting to replace the ATF filter in hopes that there is a clog.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:14 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan
My Impreza is 5-speed

D'oh!
Old 07-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan
My Impreza is 5-speed

But yeah, I had a hunch the shift-lock would come into play with the procedure, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the instructions guys. Tonight I am attempting to replace the ATF filter in hopes that there is a clog.
I'll update the page when I get home from work to include the additional instructions.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:54 PM
SVX Appeal

Just swap steps four and five. Put it in D (or 1,) turn the ignition off, then back on again.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:26 PM
XSVX Owner

Sorry guys but the directions just didn't work. I switched steps 4 and 5 so when the ign was ON, I set the gear in D. Turned the ign OFF. Turned it ON, turned MANU ON, went to 3 and turned manu off, went to 2 and turned manu on, then went to 1 and turned manu off. Then pressed the gas a little. All i heard was a buzzing. I held it lightly for a minute and the POWER light just stays solid through the whole process and doesn't change.

I managed to release the shift lock with a BBQ skewer (tab slides left) and you need to go down only 1" to press another tab lightly.

Last edited by Ryan; 07-23-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:20 PM
SVX Appeal

I don't know about "partially depressing the accelerator." I just floor it once and let up. Works for me.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:40 PM
XSVX Owner

Yeah I tried every possible combination of everything. I'm just going to let the dealer grab the code for me on Monday. Stupid Permacool filter started leaking like crazy (at the brass fittings)today so I had to route the lines back to stock.

Low speed pulsating when the engine drops below 1k rpm is related to the ABS sensor thats bad. It happens when the FWD fuse is in and the binding goes away.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:54 PM
ccjb100

Hi Ryan,

Chris here. How did it go at the dealer? What about the ABS code...did you get a chance to pull that also?

If the new filter got clogged somehow...would that not cause the pressure to go up and contribute to the leaking? Just a thougt...

-Chris-
Old 07-26-2004, 01:29 PM
XSVX Owner

She's still at the dealer right now. I should hear back from them soon.

I was under the assumption ABS code 5 was a general code stating there was a faulty sensor somewhere, but it's an actual wheel - the left front. So yay no hour labor finding which one.

Line pressure seems ok. After I switched filters to Fram the thing started to leak very badly, like 1 drop per second. I had a good feeling the Permacool fittings were leaking. So I routed the In hose back to the radiator and the leaking stopped.

I honestly didn't get a chance to see if the binding stopped after I took the filter out of the series before it went to the dealer. I had to make it stop leaking so I could drive it

I will post tonight what the dealer finds out. They say that they change a lot of transfer clutches on the Legacys so at least they should know what they're dealing with. To be continued...
Old 07-27-2004, 09:09 PM
XSVX Owner

I hope you all are sitting down.

The car has been at North End Subaru for the past two days. My favorite mechanic there brought out the books on this one. The TCU and ECU were confused by one object - the TPS. Apparently all he had to do was pivot it to the other side and that solved the hard shifting and the binding. Car drives like a dream now.

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:40 AM
ccjb100

!! Well...I can't say I understand quite what the problem was with the TPS (the sensor itself or the wiring somewhere?)..but.. the part where you say "drives like a dream now" sure sounds nice.

PS - I tried emailing you but your verizon server is sending back errors.

-Chris-

Last edited by ccjb100; 07-28-2004 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:15 AM
XSVX Owner

Yeah I don't understand it either, but of course I wouldn't put it past the SVX to do so.

I cancelled my Verizon phone/DSL line without thinking about my Email account. I got a Gmail account now. I will PM you now.