SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2004, 04:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Pontiac Soltice

I was watching the local news on TV last night. The big buzz (besides bird flu killing all the chickens downstate) is that the Pontiac Soltice (2 seater) will be produced at the local GM plant in the Wilmington/Newark Delaware area. Our governor was on TV and she was happy as a pig in you know what because it means JOBS. This plant produced the Chevy Beretta and now makes the large Saturn sedan, which is a sales flop.

I just wish that Pontiac had kept their mid-engine 2-seater (I can't recall the name), similar to Toyota's MR-2, in production. It would have evoved into a terrific mid engine sporty car.

The same can be said of our beloved SVXes. If it had stayed in production, it too would have evolved into a better car. It may have become something like a poor man's Aston Martin or maybe something like a very sporty 4-seat Thunderbird.

I think the closest car in concept to the SVX was the Lexus SC-300/400. This car did not sell well either and eventually production was stopped. I have driven the V-8, SC-400. It is a very, very, luxurious touring car, that is less sporty then the SVX.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 02-13-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The Solstice is a nice looking car, but it's not going to have any grunt to back up its styling, as I understand.

Your mid-engined Pontiac was the Fiero. The model lasted long enough to have a major stling revision. I also understand that they're actually pretty good autocrossing cars, but I'll take an MR2 over one any day of the week.

Quote:
The same can be said of our beloved SVXes. If it had stayed in production, it too would have evolved into a better car. It may have become something like a poor man's Aston Martin or maybe something like a very sporty 4-seat Thunderbird.
Or it may have devolved into a Legacy coupe. It's a shame the SVX didn't sell, but at least it stayed what it was. If it had sold, maybe Subaru would have kept true to the marque's philosophy and kept hand-building them. But maybe they wouldn't have.

We'll never know.

I dig the SC400, although I've never driven one. I'd like to some time. That and a BMW 850.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-13-2004, 09:06 AM
mark10t

Re: Pontiac Soltice

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
........This planr produced the Chevy Baretta ......
You'd think they would have learned their lesson.

My son had two of those POS Baretta's.......

-Mark

BTW- I had a mid-engine fetish for a while; I had a cherry '74 Porsche 914 2.0 and had contemplated the Fiero for a while.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
What will they think of next. A car that fights nasal congestion. Good idea.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-13-2004, 09:43 AM

Registered SVX
You know, if GM wanted a real cool little car, the Solstice should have been based on the VX-220...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
I just wish that Pontiac had kept their mid-engine 2-seater (I can't recall the name), similar to Toyota's MR-2, in production. It would have evoved into a terrific mid engine sporty car.
Yeah the Pontiac Fiero was really a decent car by the time they killed it. I just read an article on it in Grassroots motorsports. They claimed that the next model years prototype was to be faster than anything else GM had on the table at least to 60 I'm guessing. The egos of the Camaro/Firebird and Vette owners I'm guessing wouldn't stand for that. To me it is one of the few American cars I would consider. A Corvair Monza would be right up there too.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:35 PM
SVX26517

Re: Re: Pontiac Soltice

Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t

BTW- I had a mid-engine fetish for a while; I had a cherry '74 Porsche 914 2.0 and had contemplated the Fiero for a while.

I had the same engine in my 79 volkswagen bus. Thats either really sad, or really cool having a porsche engine in a hippy mobile.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:30 PM
mark10t

<<BTW- I had a mid-engine fetish for a while; I had a cherry '74 Porsche 914 2.0 and had contemplated the Fiero for a while.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same engine in my 79 volkswagen bus. >>

I had one of those, too. An early '80's Vanagon Camper.

One of our members is going to get me pic's of his Vanagon Synchro with an SVX engine.......

-Mark
Old 02-14-2004, 12:25 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by mark10t

One of our members is going to get me pic's of his Vanagon Synchro with an SVX engine.......

-Mark
Or you could just go look at these:

http://www.smallcar.com/vx.htm

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Wow you guys think differently than i'm used to. You don't like so many GM cars but you like the Fiero? I'm surprised. The Fiero died because the media scrutiny over safety issues and the cost to redesign the thing outweighed the potiential sales. Plus it was a radical departure from anything else GM made at the time. But I agree, it could be quite a contender these days had it survived. Though I would have liked a different name. Fiero just doesn't sound good at all.

You want a fun ride? Drive a last-year Fiero with the V6 and 5-speed tranny. That thing is a stoplight serial killer. Just don't get hit from the side or you'll learn what it's like to be a human candle.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:51 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
You want a fun ride? Drive a last-year Fiero with the V6 and 5-speed tranny. That thing is a stoplight serial killer. Just don't get hit from the side or you'll learn what it's like to be a human candle.
I read the same Grassroots Motorsport article that was mentioned earlier in this thread. It certainly was interesting and convinced me that the Fiero was worth considering.

But your points are exactly why I wouldn't consider one for a daily driver.

Then again, I drive a Justy, and I'm probably no more safe in that.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-14-2004, 01:16 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Wow you guys think differently than i'm used to. You don't like so many GM cars but you like the Fiero? I'm surprised. The Fiero died because the media scrutiny over safety issues and the cost to redesign the thing outweighed the potiential sales. Plus it was a radical departure from anything else GM made at the time. But I agree, it could be quite a contender these days had it survived. Though I would have liked a different name. Fiero just doesn't sound good at all.

The 1988 Fiero GT was one fine car. And like a number of GM (and other American makes) the last year a car was produced was where the needed improvements were (the same can be said of the SVX, I suppose). As for the Fiero GT in 1988, it finally had the handling, braking and horsepower it needed. I believe most of the auto mags at the time said the same thing - they finally "got it right" and then stopped making it. Had they continued, it probably would have sold quite well. But then again, it was also hard to over-come the bad press it received about "catching fire". This was as the result of a leaky valve cover gasket on the four cyl engine. I am still considering one for the future, but one "slightly modified" by a fellow in St Louis, I think. He puts a Chevy small-block V8 in the sucker - says the Fiero trans will handle up to 400 HP
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 02-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
From what I understand, the chassis has to actually be modified to fit a modern smallblock in there. Except maybe the Northstar 4.6L V8...but that's a nightmare in it's own right. The real popular thing right now seems to be dropping the 3.4L DOHC V6 from my daily driver ('96 GTP) in the Fiero. That would give it 230hp. That's a buttload of power for that little car. Though I wouldn't wish the maintenance costs of that engine on anyone.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:40 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:

The Fiero had a problem with catching on fire!!! I researched them a little back in the day when I was looking for cheap cars...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I think they named the car Fiero because they knew about the catching on fire thing.

You serious auto people that like to argue about these things can look it all up, but just going off my childhood memories, I remember when the Fiero very first came out hearing the auto experts say it was a wonderful sports car, if only it had a Toyota engine. A little while later that pretty much came to pass when the MR2 was introduced. Like I said, I'm going off memory, so if I got it all wrong and the MR2 came out first, etc, then don't get mad at me. But I was always kinda under the impression that the MR2 and Fiero were based on the same car, a joint venture between GM and Toyota like a GEO Prism/Corolla. Yeah, I'm an idiot and don't have time to look the facts up, I'm too busy working on the web site and meet for flesh and blood SVXers to get together up here in the NW.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...