Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 08-29-2003, 01:16 AM
TonyShaleUK

Another spares source

Found this company in a magazine recently - 5 miles from where I live. They import new and 2ndhand parts from Japan. The guy on the phone wasn't fazed by a request for spares for the SVX. They are cheaper (for the bits that I've ordered) than the local Subaru dealer by about 15%.

I collect them next week, I hope, so will let you know any more info about the company and service. U Save Automotive 08456 589777.

Also, I am collecting a pearl white UK SVX as a donor car next Friday. I have it for the gbox, which is much better than mine! I am in 2 minds with what to do with it after I have had the transplant done - either break it (shame as it looks in ok nick, altho 160k miles) or repair (crank pulley) and sell on.

Any interest either way, let me know - if I get enough interest to break it (ie I can recoup the cost!!), I'll do so.

I'm out and about again most of next week, so don't be surprised if you don't get immediate responses to any queries.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:46 AM
TonyShaleUK

Got the bits that I ordered from U Save. Very impressed with the service - less than a week to get from Japan and as I said before cheaper than local Subaru agents. I'm told that they can get most stuff for the car, including some secondhand parts.
Old 09-16-2003, 08:13 PM
Green1995SVX

Tony-

I'm trying to get my hands on a UK rear finish lamp. Would you be willing to sell me this from your donar car?

Best,

Mike
Old 09-17-2003, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyShaleUK
Got the bits that I ordered from U Save. Very impressed with the service - less than a week to get from Japan and as I said before cheaper than local Subaru agents. I'm told that they can get most stuff for the car, including some secondhand parts.
Tony,

Thanks for the info on U Save Automative, that's a cracking help for spares. I haven't used them yet but did notice they had a website, the link to which is below for all who may find it of use.

http://www.usaveauto.co.uk/

Thanks again.....now to sit down and make a note of all the bits I need before I ring them.

'96 Subaru SVX (111K) - UK spec
'85 Opel Monza GSE (71K)
'86 Opel Monza GSE (95K)
'93 Toyota Estima Lucida (37K) - JDM import

My psychiatrist says I'm suffering from paranoia........but he's always hated me!!!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:38 AM
TonyShaleUK

Spares car...

I'm still waiting to get my transmission swap between the spares car I bought and my own.

I will then decide whether to break the spares car or put it back on the road, so will let evryone know what I do.

In preparation, as the spare transmission is a UK one and mine is a Jap import (with different functions such as power and manual) any idea whether the TCU will need swapping? If so, where the hell is it??!!

Finally, I think Joe mentioned doing a diagnostic test on my transmission some posts ago. How do I go about that?

Thanks guys
Old 10-03-2003, 12:40 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Spares car...

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyShaleUK

Finally, I think Joe mentioned doing a diagnostic test on my transmission some posts ago. How do I go about that?

Thanks guys
Tony,

The codes are shown in the "How-To Documents" on the menu above.

Here is the link:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/1698.htm

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-03-2003, 12:53 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
TCU swop...

is not necessary I think, unless....

I put the internals of a '96 UK box in my '91 Japanese model. It works OK, or at least any problems I am having are not traceable to the TCU.

However. Someone in the States had a lot of trouble swopping a late with an early tranny. The wiring looms were totally different, different wires, different colour wires, different connectors. The later cars have a different on-board diagnostic system, called OBD2. This is probably why the looms are different.

Maybe the '96 English car I used was actually an earlier model pre OBD II, and only registered in '96? Who knows? It bolted up anyway no problem.

If the looms and connectors are radically different, the problem you will have will be to feed the TCU with the inputs it needs from the tranny. You will need both workshop manual years to see what and where the outputs from the tranny and inputs to the TCU are respectively. then it is only a problem of matching up. Took a lot of figuring out in the US case I mentioned above, but anything is possible if the technician knows what he is about.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-04-2003, 01:34 AM
TonyShaleUK

Thanks for both responses Joe,

Both cars are 91, so unless a later transmission has been put into either of them, there should be no probs.

Tony
Old 10-04-2003, 04:17 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

You're welcome Tony.

If you do decide to break the spares car, I would be interested in the torque convertor from the spare one.

The one in mine is probably from a Legacy. It fits and works, but it is "low stall", i.e. soft. It allows about 700 rpm of slippage. I don't like this, as I feel it creates heat. If I want moving on, I would prefer if it selected a lower gear, giving me more revs, higher pump pressure for holding the gears, and of course access to the sweet part of the torque range.

I don't really know if mine is typical, but at motorway speeds of say 80 in 4th, if you want to move on sharpish and put the accelerator down half way or more, it merely engages the torque convertor, won't change down. As the car is only doing about 3000 rpm at this point, pickup is leisurely. I find myself having to preselect 3, or else mash the carpet, neither of these being a reasonable way for sedate press-on driving on demand.

Just as a matter of interest, how many revs does yours pick up when the torque convertor is working??

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 10-06-2003 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:20 AM
TonyShaleUK

Joe,

Just been out - when travelling along with the revcounter at 2k, part throttle jumped the revs upto about 3k without dropping a gear.

Hope that's of some help!

Tony
Old 10-06-2003, 04:04 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks Tony.

Not much different than mine then. Wonder if any of the UK spec cars are more ready to change down?

Also, I wonder how much of this is programmed at the TCU, and how much is purely hydraulic or mechanical?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-13-2003, 06:57 PM

AT Gearbox

Hi guys!
From what I know, the AT gearbox is almost the same in my SVX as in my Legacy 2.2.
And what also know is that the Legacy AT is totally "dumb" without the TCU, but it works!. I have accidenly left it to my wife without the big AT - TCU connector plugged in, for a week ..... and she did not complain!!
But when I was driving the car I felt that the AT was totally inresponsive to throttle position or revs or whatever...it just shifted the gears the same (no kickdown or anything), no matter what i did!
So, my conclusion was that the AT works without the TCU, but it is totally "dumb", and probably would the SVX behave similar.

-Why the connector was not plugged in? .....
I was modifying the signal to the "rear-wheel-engage-clutch" ,
so that when I flip a a switch, the car is FULLY 4-wheel drive!
And it works just fine, earlier when taking off from standing start in snow or ice condition, the front wheels was spinning and the rear took about a half to one second to engage, and if you where standing in deep snow or let's say sand, your front wheels digged down and you where stuck!
But no more...!

I am considering to make the same mod on my SVX also.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:46 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Exclamation

Careful Sonar!

The situation you describe with the Legacy is the same as happens with US SVXs. Their cars have an electric clutch at the rear of the transmission, which is actuated on command to add in extra rear drive, as you describe. A feature of this type, when a fuse is inserted in the slot under the bonnet[hood] the rear clutch is switched off, the car is full-time front drive, and can be tested on a 2-wheel dyno.

Japanese, OZ, NZ and European cars have a full-time 4-wheel drive gearbox, no rear clutch. Try your SVX on sand or gravel before you start messing with it. Most of the power goes to the back on our cars, and the TCU controls torque split up to 50/50. I am presuming here that yours is European, and has a European type tranny.

An added advantage for you, since you seem to get snow, when the Magic Fuse is inserted in ours, it locks the differentials. Would be handy for getting you out of snow or muck problems. Obviously, take out the fuse again before you drive much on tarmak. If you have imported your car from the US, then you will have the lesser type tranny, mostly FWD like the Legacy.

BTW, if you insert the fuse in yours, you should be able to tell on the dash, as a difflock red graphic comes on at the left of your clocks.

Check it out first anyway.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-30-2003, 02:08 AM

Hi!
I'm pretty much sure that my SVX has the European tranny, and my idea is to put a internal switch in parallell with that fuse.

On my Legacy, I "broke" the circuit to to "bleeder-valve" (soleniod) for the split-clutch, with a switch, and therefore the pressure in that split-clutch rises and locks the clutch
It should work this way according to the workshop-manual (witch I copied from a dealer), as a fail-safe system.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
You're welcome Tony.

If you do decide to break the spares car, I would be interested in the torque convertor from the spare one.

Joe
Hello Joe,

If you're interested in a US torque convertor, let me know. I've got two for a car that will never again need one!

Todd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: