Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Alternator wiring mod, my way

So I finally got around to doing the alternator wiring mod on my blue car, but I have a real difficult time keeping things simple and straightforward. So somehow, the battery ended up in the trunk.

Megafuse holder and fuse from amazon.com
1/0 gauge wire from knukonceptz (the CCA, not full copper)
(I ordered 25 feet, but used less than 20. Not sure exactly how much though, I forgot to measure it.)
6 1/0 gauge ring terminals, also from knukonceptz
a bunch more of the 4 gauge ring terminals
Some 4 gauge wire that was laying around
Some fresh battery terminals from advance
Lots of electrical tape

If I were to do this again, I would use 2 gauge full copper instead, since the wire would be a lot easier to work with and the 2 gauge from Knukonceptz is bigger than most 2 gauge. 1/0 gauge is huge, plus it weighs less. 1/0 is the way to go to play it safe though.

Pictures will explain better than words ever could:

There are more pics here.

'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 11-20-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added some info
Old 11-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Alternator wiring mod, my way

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post

I would use the rubber end cap on the alternator lead. The OEM part number is 81034AA000

There isn't much clearance between the exposed 12V here and the intake manifold, which is grounded. Easy to make accidental contact and arcing is not fun.

Better to be safe in the first place. Just unwrap your electrical tape and slip it over the end, and add tape if needed.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 11-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
I would use the rubber end cap on the alternator lead. The OEM part number is 81034AA000

There isn't much clearance between the exposed 12V here and the intake manifold, which is grounded. Easy to make accidental contact and arcing is not fun.

Better to be safe in the first place. Just unwrap your electrical tape and slip it over the end, and add tape if needed.

I agree 100%, but the little rubber end cap won't fit over the relatively huge 1/0 gauge ring terminal. I'll see if I can find something else that will fit though. If nothing else, I'll cut the tube part of the rubber thingy open and tape it to the ring terminal. Or something. 1/0 gauge is a lot bigger than 4 gauge.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM

Registered SVX

Thought of something else. For the tie-down, I just drilled holes and used the j bolt thingies from the battery tie-down kit they sell at advance and the kartboy battery tie that I already had. But it might be a better idea to use the rubber thing from the advance kit, since then you'd have one less thing to short out the battery if something is bouncing around back there.