Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Flatt Racing Exhaust Replica

I am loading video right now of two systems side by side. Both are brand new.

The car on the left has our Bullet cat-back with a 2-1 magnaflow cat(still needs tips)
The car on the right is the one pictured above which is the Flatt Replica.

The flatt exhaust is not as raspy as it sounds in the video... It is quite nice so take the video with a grain of salt

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 01-30-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I've made my choice.. lol
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-30-2009, 07:04 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Me likey the bullet muffler
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Registered SVX

how much are you looking to sell your kit for tom?

I would be interested in 5 months once I am back from Germany...Will you have them by then?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldss72 View Post
how much are you looking to sell your kit for tom?

I would be interested in 5 months once I am back from Germany...Will you have them by then?
We are making our first bolt-in cat-back tonight. We will post pics and videos when it is completed. They will be available as soon as we deem it a success

Tom
Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I think the Flatt replica actually sounds really cool.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Maniac modifier

I really like the replica too, I do like the low tone of the bullet personally but the Flatt-rep really has a nice unique sound that really isn't captured well in the video

Tom
Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM

I like it too. Ballsy, but not overdone.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I love the one on the left.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Maniac modifier

got the bolt-in cat-back done today... Loading pics and making a new thread

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 01-31-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:45 PM
There is no charge for Awesome

Send a message via AIM to Chuckles
Registered SVX
Lightbulb Re: Flatt Racing Exhaust Replica

I saw the video before I heard the car, and I'm so glad it doesn't sound like that. The car has a very mellow tone, and I am extremely happy with the result. Tom did a great job!

Side note: What is wrong with my air filter? seriously guys, educate me, what did I do wrong with that? (ANSWERED)

Thank you for the above clarification... I always assumed since most show cars have them mounted there, that must be the right spot. I was going to redo the entire intake anyway, so thanks for the knowledge.

92' Subaru SVX LS-L Claret http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3214312 for the pics and stuff

Last edited by Chuckles; 02-04-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
Side note: What is wrong with my air filter? seriously guys, educate me, what did I do wrong with that?
Cone filter in the engine bay = warm air intake. Sort of a de-performance mod.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

^^^What he said. The whole point of a "performance" air intake is to pull low restriction, cold air into the engine. Cold air is more dense, therefore you get a bit more power. Air under the hood is hot, mainly because of that big hunk of aluminum that makes all the noise. Drawing in the hot air from the engine bay not only robs you of power, it also makes your engine more prone to knock (if you're trying to drive the wheels off it) by bringing in a hotter air charge. Mainly with a cone filter you get more noise, and to many people noise = power, so [/hijack]

Back on topic, with the Flatt replica being solidly welded/bolted together, is there any concern about stress on the system from the engine twisting under load? The stock exhaust has the sprung flanges into and out of the main cat, giving it some room to flex. I know our engines aren't exactly jumping around the engine bay, but would you be concerned about long term problems? Stress cracking at the welds, etc?

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
As soon as I can get another camera in here to record it... Mine doesn't do sound

Tom
I have access to a digital video camera, I can provide a DVD quality video with sound, just mail me an exhaust setup and I'll put it on my car and send you a video.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
^^^What he said. The whole point of a "performance" air intake is to pull low restriction, cold air into the engine. Cold air is more dense, therefore you get a bit more power. Air under the hood is hot, mainly because of that big hunk of aluminum that makes all the noise. Drawing in the hot air from the engine bay not only robs you of power, it also makes your engine more prone to knock (if you're trying to drive the wheels off it) by bringing in a hotter air charge. Mainly with a cone filter you get more noise, and to many people noise = power, so [/hijack]

Back on topic, with the Flatt replica being solidly welded/bolted together, is there any concern about stress on the system from the engine twisting under load? The stock exhaust has the sprung flanges into and out of the main cat, giving it some room to flex. I know our engines aren't exactly jumping around the engine bay, but would you be concerned about long term problems? Stress cracking at the welds, etc?

I have done several systems without flex-joints without issue. more or less as long as it is hung properly, the hangers take all the stress. His system is hung from front to back using... Head bolts, Rear trans hanger, resonator hanger, two tail pipe hangers. Using this, the front of the system is suspended attached to the engine/trans (the things that move) so there is literally no stress there. the othe hangers are rubber so they will flex and move the little bit that the exhaust does move back there.

Tom