SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-22-2005, 12:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Question wheel drawing

Quote:
Originally posted by deruvian

I quickly made and attached a JPEG of this process. One part of the wheel in the picture is filled in with gray, to show the direction of rotation of the wheel. The other part is colored in red, to illustrate my statements in the previous paragraph (the location of the spokes being just prior to the previous thread, despite the wheel moving forward). Hope this helps.
Hey, where can I get a set of those wheels? Do they come in the correct offset for the SVX?

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:59 PM
deruvian

This might help those of you mathematical-type people.

The SVX tire, at 255/50/16, spins about 811 times per mile. At 60 mph, you are traveling at one mile per minute. That equals 13.5167 wheel rotations per second. However, the stock wheel has five spokes. This gives each spoke a "Hz" value of 67.5833. At 60 miles an hour, the wheel should still appear to be spinning forward.

At 65 mph, you are traveling at a rate of 1.0833 miles per minute. That gives the wheels 14.6431 rotations per second. This now gives the spokes a "Hz" value of 73.2153. At this rate the wheel will appear to either be spinning backwards very, very slowly, or appear to be stationary. Remember, if your vision's "refresh rate" is at 72Hz, the spokes will almost appear to be in the exact same location, as in the previous "frame," at this speed.

At 70 mph, you are traveling at a rate of 1.1667 miles per minute. The wheels spin at 15.7694 times per second. The spokes are now at 78.8472. They will either appear to be spinning backwards, or will be too fast and become a blur in your vision.

So, if you could watch the wheels on a SVX that is accelerating from 60 > 65 > 70, you would see them go from forward, to stationary for just one fraction of a second, to "backwards." Watch another cars wheels accelerate on the freeway. They always have this pattern. The SVX is, theoretically however, in the 60 - 70 mph range for this sequence to occur.

I hope I didn't suck at explaining this.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:00 PM
deruvian

Re: wheel drawing

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Hey, where can I get a set of those wheels? Do they come in the correct offset for the SVX?

Johnny
Sure, I'll make up a set for ya! That'll be $1000 plus shipping.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: