Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-19-2001, 11:36 AM
LordLobo

since it's been like 4 months or so since everyone's heard about how my ride fares, I figgered I'd share my TODO list for some comments.

That and I love how this board threads. This list is in 'priority' order

- Replace Rack&Pinion and Power Steering Pump - leaky leaky - Parts ~$600, Labor = Free (becuase my dad is doing it)

- Replace RF Axel (cv joint is near-death) - Part $100~ for a rebuilt, Labor Free from pop done at the same time as the steering

- Transmission: Have flushed, refill with RedLine High-Temp ATF. New filter. Possibly get new cooler

- ECU Mod: still need to see if that needs to be done.

- Exterior: winter was hard. Black roof parts have scratches from fell tree branch (antenna already replaced). Passenger side door has scratches from pole in parking garage no thanks to my neigbor's sh!tty parking job. Also showing rust not related to scratches. Driver-side rear bumper has paint scratched clean off and dent above. Some f00ker that did the old hitnrun. large scratch on hood has been there since purchase.

Exterior 'plans' (non-inclusive of getting the dent pulled out)

Plan A) Repaint bottom half grey. I like the concept of the grey bottom SVX. I saw one near Grafton on easter. As much as I like being part of the Tux club, sorry arudub.

Plan B) Have damaged parts repainted. cheaper...but mabye not possible?

Other than the above, the car runs fanstastic. All the exterior damage is somewhat dissapointing. I'm looking for some advice on the paint job, and any pitfalls about the steering system that I can pass on to my dad when he gets to work on it.
Old 04-19-2001, 11:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Your claim of rust is still surprising to me - especially since you say it's not related to the scratches and dents.

I've never actually seen rust on the body of an SVX.

END OF LINE

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-19-2001, 12:52 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<Plan A) Repaint bottom half grey. I like the concept of the grey bottom SVX. I saw one near Grafton on easter. As much as I like being part of the Tux club, sorry arudub.>>

Well, I might let you by . . . this time, since I saw Tom's in Reading (check alanscouse's briefcase), with the bottom painted black -- interesting. Just don't paint it , uh, don't paint it . . . . don't . . . ack, I can't say it -- I'll just cut to the chase --- AAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-19-2001, 02:10 PM
LordLobo

I'll see if I can get my grubs on a digicam and post a pic. The rust is occuring in the crevaces of the moulding on the door. You can see the scratches only hit the top of that moulding.

I'm gonna have the body shop at my dad's workplace give me some estimates. mabye next week.
Old 04-21-2001, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Angry Rust

I have seen rust on an SVX at the local dealer here. It was where the rear quarter panel meets the rear bumper mostly, but a few other spots too. The poor thing has been beat to death and is missing several interior pieces. I wouldn't be surprized if had been wrecked a couple of times. It has been on their lot for at least a year, because I drove it more than a year ago (first SVX drive, I had no intention of buying it at the price they wanted) when I started looking for an SVX. The price at the time? $10k!! ha ha. For a 92 w/ 161k miles and beat to hell - not!!

Oh well.. the motto of my tirade is ummmm.... the SVX is highly rust resistant, but not rustproof.

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 04-22-2001, 12:17 AM
suby_qa

Where?

LordLobo,
Where can I get a rebuilt CV joint for $100.00?
Any info is appreciated.
Old 04-22-2001, 12:24 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Grey bottom

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
<<Plan A) Repaint bottom half grey. I like the concept of the grey bottom SVX. I saw one near Grafton on easter. As much as I like being part of the Tux club, sorry arudub.>>

Well, I might let you by . . . this time, since I saw Tom's in Reading (check alanscouse's briefcase), with the bottom painted black -- interesting. Just don't paint it , uh, don't paint it . . . . don't . . . ack, I can't say it -- I'll just cut to the chase --- AAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!
Aredub, I don't see what the cause of the consternation is, to my eyes, some of the '91 and '92 Japanese cars had black or dark grey bottoms, and were better for it.

In many cases, this can look fussy. However, on a silver SVX, and remember silver and black are a Giugiaro hallmark, the lower part painted dark grey/blackish takes away the slab sided look the SVX has, and visually slims it down a bit.

Photo enclosed fom the Japanese site.

http://www.svx.com/bunny3.jpg

Joe
Old 04-22-2001, 02:05 PM
tober76b

Re: Where?

Quote:
Originally posted by suby_qa
LordLobo,
Where can I get a rebuilt CV joint for $100.00?
Any info is appreciated.
i too am looking for a rebuilt CV axle.
i tried carsparts.com and they couldn't find the part in stock anywhere. they tried for about two weeks and then finally cancelled my order.
btw....they have a right-front and left-front listing. does it matter which one i order? i was under the impression that these were inter-changeable. does anyone know for sure?
thanks.
toby
Old 04-22-2001, 04:24 PM
suby_qa

I'm not sure about interchangability.
My instict would say no, if they list two different parts.
Old 04-22-2001, 09:11 PM
tober76b

Quote:
Originally posted by suby_qa
I'm not sure about interchangability.
My instict would say no, if they list two different parts.
one brand had two separate part numbers, the other listed the same part number. any thoughts anyone?
toby
Old 04-23-2001, 07:11 AM
LordLobo

Actually, you probably cannot get a rebuilt CV for $100. I can because my dad works at a dealership (not subaru) and can get parts at cost. Sorry for the teaser, I probably shouldn't discuss the prices I get.
Old 04-23-2001, 02:12 PM
tober76b

Quote:
Originally posted by LordLobo
Actually, you probably cannot get a rebuilt CV for $100. I can because my dad works at a dealership (not subaru) and can get parts at cost. Sorry for the teaser, I probably shouldn't discuss the prices I get.
as long as i can get one for $200 i'll be happy....because it sure beats $400 for a new one.
so, anyone heard for certain whether the front cv axles are interchangeable?
thanks.
toby
Old 04-23-2001, 02:45 PM
suby_qa

I checked the parts book today. The CV axles are the same. One part # quantity is listed as two.