How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Darth Bagel

brake question

I have been experiencing very bad vibration while braking (especially in the 35-50mph region) and some mild vibration while just driving, and I've come to the conclusion that my brakes are the cause. I can feel them grabbing and releasing, clicking, and lately even squeaking at very low speeds. Also, I jacked the car up a month or two ago and tried to manually spin the wheel and I could feel the brakes catching and loosening without any actual action on the braking system.

Right, so anyways, I had a few questions (and be patient with me, I'm fairly new to this). I was planning on replacing my front rotors to correct this problem. I had wanted to buy from raceconcepts, but apparently that has been sold, and people have had some bad service from the new guy. Not to mention he's named Ben, and I have a personal vendetta against people named Ben. I've heard that Wood will be up and running again in a few weeks (on the east coast no less! maybe near me!). Should I wait for him, or should I go try to find some rotors from somewhere else? If somewhere else, where else should I look?

Also, is there anything else I should look at replacing? The rotors are the most obvious thing that my feeble brain can come up with, but is there something else that's more often the cause of vibration problems?

Feel free to make fun of me, but it better be funny.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:01 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Re: brake question

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Bagel
Not to mention he's named Ben, and I have a personal vendetta against people named Ben.
Had a bad experience with rice in the past did ya?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-19-2004, 11:24 PM
UniqueAngle

If your hear your brakes starting to squeal/rub at lower speeds, it might be worth it to have your brake calipers rebuilt. Rebuild kits are ~$20 each (give or take a little).
~Brenda
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 AM

Definitely sounds like warped rotors; probably just the fronts. You might try having them machined, if there's enough material left to true without making them too thin. As to replacement, there's always a Subaru parts department, or any auto parts shop will set you up.

dcb
Old 07-20-2004, 08:36 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

The vibration could be cause from rotor warp, but a quick thing to check is whether all of your lug nuts are on securely. If one is lose, it could cause the vibration you're experiencing.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Re: brake question

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
Had a bad experience with rice in the past did ya?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Ben explained the issue with RaceConcepts in another post. He's still giving us a great deal on rotors. I'm just waiting to read some new experiences with other members here and the new owner.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 PM
Darth Bagel

i saw that thread but i accidentally closed it before i could read all of his response and now i cant bloody find it. any chance you could link it up for me?
Old 07-21-2004, 06:14 PM

Talking warped rotors

just my two cents on this. you're going to have moderate vibration/shaking even with perfect machined surfaces and pads. if you decide to change rotors i would get slotted/crossdrilled ones. i've seen them fairly cheap on ebay and other places. i didn't have a computer years ago when i replaced mine and didn't know much about aftermarket parts. good luck. mike.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:31 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Darth,
From recent experience I'd advise you to take a close look at pad wear (inside vs outside pads) and determine whether or not the calipers are sliding smoothly on their pins, and as soon as they're pivoted up off the rotors, whether or not the piston seals are shot as well. Unless you have a proper press, I would, if they require rebuilding, purchase some rebuilts rather than try to rebuild them yourself. I wasted a good deal of time on my brake-job attempting to rebuild one myself, and it's tougher than it looks.
It's worth the time to partially disassemble these things to determine needed parts before attempting the job. Take a look in the how-to documents to see how easily the basics are accomplished. My $.02.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 07-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Bagel
i saw that thread but i accidentally closed it before i could read all of his response and now i cant bloody find it. any chance you could link it up for me?
That thread is HERE.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:29 AM
Darth Bagel

so is wood back in business yet? or have we determined that ben is ok to buy from?

(i apologize if this question has already been answered multiple times. ive been in maine for a week, and then i just got my wisdom teeth out yesterday and the vicoden i took an hour and a half ago is just starting to make me a little tired, so i really dont feel like looking)
Old 08-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Meow!

So far so good for Ben.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:41 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by RojoRocket
Unless you have a proper press, I would, if they require rebuilding, purchase some rebuilts rather than try to rebuild them yourself. I wasted a good deal of time on my brake-job attempting to rebuild one myself, and it's tougher than it looks.
Agreed, definately harder than I thought it would be. I think the first caliper took me almost 3 hours to do. By the last one, I was finishing them in under 30 minutes. My front right caliper had a hole in the boot, causing the piston to develop some rust and was not sliding properly. If you need to rebuild them, PM me and I'll describe my technique the best I can remember.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300