Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-11-2003, 10:23 AM

Question Svx Heater

I am not sure if is just with my SVX, but the heater does not blow hot air consistantly when the engine is cold. It blows hotter air more when driving than when you are at a stop light, then the air becomes cold again. Even after 15 mintutes of driving. Is there anyone else having the same problems. I like to have this fixed since I live up here in Michigan. Thanks

Regards,
AWDSVX
Old 03-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Hey, anpther MI guy!

Where are you located in Troy? I'm at 22 Mile and Van Dyke in Shelby Township.

As far as heater stuff goes, that's odd. Have you had any other problems recently(overheating, gurgling sounds in the car, erratic temperature gauge) or have you done any recent cooling system maintenance (replace thermostat, drain and fill radiator?

Your car should blow hot air when at a standstill.

Todd
Old 03-11-2003, 11:18 AM

Smile SVX Heater

Thanks for the tip. I have never had any over heating problems with my SVX. I did have a new rebulit Trans from the dealer, put in just less than 3 weeks ago. Ouch that hurts! That is cool that there is someone in my area that is into Subaru SVX's. Would be cool if I were to see you on the road. If you are ever in the Mound Road and just north of 16 Mile road, there is a dark Green SVX just little bit north of 16 on Mound off to the right. Been meaning to look at it closer and meet the owner.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:51 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

SVX lack of heat

Did the SVX do it before the tranny rebuild? It does get heat while moving though right? So its not like they disconnected the heater hoses and plugged them together. Maybe there's an obstruction in there? Works fine or better when the water pump is working harder/ higher rpms. Why don't you try reving the engine at a stop or at least taking it up to 2krpms for a bit. See if it warms up a bit. If it does I would think that maybe you have an obstruction, possibly a bad thermostat but unlikely with these symptoms or a bad water pump. You can check the waterpump's pumping strength by letting the car warm up then squeezing the top radiator hose for a few seconds then seeing if it surges past when you let go (kinda like a garden hose.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: SVX Heater

Quote:
Originally posted by awdsvx
Thanks for the tip. I have never had any over heating problems with my SVX. I did have a new rebulit Trans from the dealer, put in just less than 3 weeks ago. Ouch that hurts! That is cool that there is someone in my area that is into Subaru SVX's. Would be cool if I were to see you on the road. If you are ever in the Mound Road and just north of 16 Mile road, there is a dark Green SVX just little bit north of 16 on Mound off to the right. Been meaning to look at it closer and meet the owner.
Who does the work on your car, dealer or independent shop? Oh, I just re-read your post, Hodges or Suburban? If I can ask, what did it run for the new trans?

Yeah I see the one on Mound all the time. Been meaning to stop in for the last couple of years. Don't want to seem like a stalker! It's a later model with tan interior.

Mine's in the garage. Clean and awaiting slightly warmer weather so that I can make it a 5 speed and mount my Koni struts/coilovers, and Stebro muffler.

Stick around and we'll figure out a time to get together.

Todd
Old 03-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Re: Svx Heater

Yes. Check your coolant level and the system for leaks, especially around the water pump. Mine did the exact same thing when the water pump started to leak and I let the coolant level get dangerously low. When the heater isn't blowing hot air, you might also notice higher than normal temperatures from the engine temp gauge. The hot air comes back when you start driving and the engine temp returns to normal.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by awdsvx
I am not sure if is just with my SVX, but the heater does not blow hot air consistantly when the engine is cold. It blows hotter air more when driving than when you are at a stop light, then the air becomes cold again. Even after 15 mintutes of driving. Is there anyone else having the same problems.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:33 PM

Cool

Thanks for all the tips and sugestions. I will try all of them. I have been a regular customer at Hodges Subaru since I had a bad experience at the other dealership. When I was shopping for an SVX, none of the sales people would give me a time of day. They all thought I looked young and could not afford the car. I proved them wrong. I had to go to Ann Arbor, MI to get my laguna blue SVX LSI. So the follwing week I showed up at the dealership where they thought I could not afford the car, and approached the sales guy that blew me off and pointed to my car. Told him, never judge on apearances. Oh well his loss, his loss comission. Anyway about my tranny, I am not at home but it cost me close to $3000, plus I had a gasket replaced, flex plate that is between the trans and engine, there was a hair line crack. the flex plate is also used on the Legacy since it is the same tranmission. The differance is the gear ratios inside. Also along with the the tranny, I got a new timming belt. So I have gone through all the major problems that is known about the SVX: Transmission, Wheel Bearings (all 4 was replaced) & Rotors (all 4 was replaced) I actually did my own brakes, 3 months ago, saved some money. This comming Thursday, my new grill will be comming in. I ordered a 1997 grill for my 1994. I like the grill better. They are not readily available in the USA anymore. You have to special order it, lucky for me, I found a place that had one more. Now I just need to get it painted Laguna blue. But thanks for all your help.

Regards,
AWDSVX

Last edited by awdsvx; 03-11-2003 at 07:38 PM.