SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-10-2003, 08:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
"Well, at least I'll have a story..."

"...to post on the forums on Monday."

Saturday, it was 40 and rained all day long. I hate cold rain, but I didn't have to spend a lot of time in it.

Still, it didn't occur to me until Sunday that the rain would have washed the salt off the roads. As soon as I realized that, I declared that I'd be taking the SVX to be washed. It had been sitting in the garage, dirty, all winter. I didn't get the chance to wash it before the snow fell and I didn't want to put the cover on when the car was dirty. The guy I share my garage with has been doing woodworking projects, so the SVX has been getting covered in sawdust.

I had to jumpstart the car with the Justy again, but once I did that everything was fine. Put it in 'D' and away I went, tranny barely making it into second and third as I went.

The car wash itself was fine, although I'm not a huge fan of the one I used. It's close to the house, though, and therefore a safe bet.

As the driers blew the water off, I watched the lights for the green 'go.' When it lit up and the curtain drew back, I put the car in 'D' and gently hit the gas.

Nothing. Just revs.

'Uh oh.'

I glanced in the rearview as I tapped the gas again. The giant whirling cloths behind me parted and the front grille of a black Durango emerged, covered in suds. I had maybe fifteen seconds.

Punching the gas repeatedly, allowing the engine to rev higher and higher each time I did, I saw the Durango go through the rinse.

Of course, in the middle of all this, I think, 'man, what a sweet-sounding engine.'

As the blowers started up with a roar behind me, first gear finally caught and I pulled away from the building. I got out of the car to dry it off, but by the time I dried one side, the water drops were frozen on the other side.

I called AAA. Depsite my telling them that the car was AWD, they sent a regular wrecker. This was the only time I didn't tell them specifically to send a flatbed, so I guess I learned my lesson. The driver dollied my SVX, with great care and difficulty, and drove me the five miles home.

My driveway only added to the experience. It's uphill, curved and covered in about 4-6 inches of deeply rutted ice. On Saturday it was 4-6 inches of slush, so imagine that freezing solid. Ugh.

Still, the driver got my car up the driveway, backwards, up the ice. It took him probably another 20 minutes to get the car down. No injuries.

I jumped the car with the Justy again and drove it into the garage. Some of you may remember the problem I had last summer, right before the 10th Anniversary meet. I guessed that this was similar and I was right. The car will engage all gears when cold, but will slip badly and eventually coast to a stop when the tranny gets warm.

<sigh> Sorry for the long post. This trip to get my car washed was a failure on every level, except that I actually succeeded in getting the car washed. It's now under its cover, in the garage, and there it will stay until I have a new transmission.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

tranny

Hi Nick, Are you going to have your tranny fixed by Reading? I got a rebuilt trans from AA subaru last summer. I had put in a new radiater in '01. I had all hoses,filters ,etc replaced at that time. also needed trans mount. You are a brave man to drive an SVX w/ a bad tranny. My wife and I are going over for the meet on Thursday, so hope to see you there. BOBB
Old 03-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Unhappy

Tough luck Nick.

Have you tried holding the brake with your left foot while revving up? It might bring the line pressure up enough to engage gear, but you don't want it jumping forward under revs.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-10-2003, 11:16 AM

Registered SVX
Re: tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobb
Hi Nick, Are you going to have your tranny fixed by Reading? I got a rebuilt trans from AA subaru last summer. I had put in a new radiater in '01. I had all hoses,filters ,etc replaced at that time. also needed trans mount. You are a brave man to drive an SVX w/ a bad tranny. My wife and I are going over for the meet on Thursday, so hope to see you there. BOBB
I wasn't aware that there was a meet Thursday. That's my racquetball night, but I'll see what I can do. Is there a thread you can refer me to?

Reading's a tough call. Right now, I'm going to have to say no. Even if I could get the car together by then, it's unlikely that the roads will be salt-free. My car hasn't seen the past two winters, and I don't plan on putting it back into salty road conditions. Ever.

As for the tranny, I'm buying a used one with relatively few miles on it. Hopefully that one will last me a few years because I really can't afford to do a $3000 dealer rebuild. My plan is to someday rebuild my old tranny myself.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 03-10-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:19 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist
Tough luck Nick.

Have you tried holding the brake with your left foot while revving up? It might bring the line pressure up enough to engage gear, but you don't want it jumping forward under revs.

Joe
I didn't try that, Joe. Thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt I'll get the chance to try it. If all goes well, the car will stay put until I replace the tranny anyway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 03-10-2003, 04:40 PM
alacrity024

Re: Re: tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

That's my racquetball night
you play wallball?? w00t! my mom and i took it up a few months ago and we LOVE it.. we're no good, but DAMN is it ever fun..

-adam
Old 03-10-2003, 05:00 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024

you play wallball?? w00t! my mom and i took it up a few months ago and we LOVE it.. we're no good, but DAMN is it ever fun..

-adam
It's certainly a good outlet for aggression.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 03-10-2003, 05:06 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thursday

Hi Nick, When I said Thursday, I was talking about the thursday before the Reading meet, BOBB
Old 03-11-2003, 07:40 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Thursday

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobb
Hi Nick, When I said Thursday, I was talking about the thursday before the Reading meet, BOBB
Ah, now I get it.

Well, if I go, I'll be riding with Doug. My car most likely won't make it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 03-11-2003, 07:44 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Thursday

Quote:

Ah, now I get it.

Well, if I go, I'll be riding with Doug. My car most likely won't make it.
Bring the Justy. It'll make it! Besides, you'll get here and back on like $25-30.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Thursday

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Bring the Justy. It'll make it! Besides, you'll get here and back on like $25-30.
Ha!

Well, if I bring the Justy, I can guarantee that Amber won't come with me.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 03-11-2003, 08:33 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thursday

Quote:

Ha!

Well, if I bring the Justy, I can guarantee that Amber won't come with me.