I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by jwherm

~JW
Still white girl dancin away.

I thought you are a guy
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:11 AM

Re: paranoia

Quote:
Originally posted by blackbolt94red
Originally posted by fait_svx
Has anyone had this happen to them? Your driving along on an empty highway, and you look in your rear view mirror and you see a cop coming at you at full speed with the red and blue flashin. You race to put your seat belts on and prepare to pull over, and he just speeds right pass you. GOD! I hate that. To the Illinois drivers or anyone passing through Illinois, this usually happens on rt 47. Its happened to me about 3 times in the past year.

Well cops do that to see if you are guilty. Most guilty people will do of of two things; not move over or pull over completely.

Non guilty indiviuals will move over to the next lane.

Just my thoughts. Trying to think like a cop.

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 02-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I've had the flashing lights coming up fast behind me on a empty, or near empty highway at night, but I move over to the right to let them pass. I just always assume they are on their way to a call. Who knows, maybe there is some other devious thing going on.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 02-26-2003, 10:26 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
I've got a worse one for you though. This has happened to me twice in 15 years of driving. Driving on a several lane freeway at night, with a bit of traffic on the roads both times. A car comes racing up from behind, switching lanes erratically and everything else you would normally associate with some jerk doing reckless driving. Except these times, as the speeding car passes, it is a State Patrol! No flashing red and blue lights, no warning at all. And I'm talking like I was going 70 and he passed me like I'm sitting still, weaving and changing lanes to get around everyone. VERY unsafe IMHO.

Both times, a few miles up the road, they are pulled over with the flashing lights finally on, behind another car. I guess the logic is they are trying to sneak up on a speeding car that had been called in or had passed them. And they don't want to tip them off by flashing their lights until they get within "striking range"?

Old 02-26-2003, 12:02 PM

I am not sure about the rest of the US but in IL, the cops (both local and state police) are too busy doing other things. In the past two days, I had my scanner on and tuned into the state police and the CPD and they are usually too busy doing other stuff and not chasing drunks or speeders.

Other stuff include: domestic violence, stolen car, breaking in, suicide, running plates and ssn, some homicide captain yelling at 2 other cops and 8 girls running around in bikini (some of the nude) in middle of chicago in 30 degree weather reported by the neighbour.

L
Old 02-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I am not sure about the rest of the US but in IL, the cops (both local and state police) are too busy doing other things. In the past two days, I had my scanner on and tuned into the state police and the CPD and they are usually too busy doing other stuff and not chasing drunks or speeders.

Other stuff include: domestic violence, stolen car, breaking in, suicide, running plates and ssn, some homicide captain yelling at 2 other cops and 8 girls running around in bikini (some of the nude) in middle of chicago in 30 degree weather reported by the neighbour.

L
Exactly the type of stuff I was referring to when I said, "other calls". I always assumed when they came up with the lights and sirens if it wasn't me, it was that they were on their way from one part of town to another to deal with one of the above situations. I used to listen to a scanner quite a bit too, it was great fun, and sometimes a bit disturbing.

Old 02-26-2003, 12:11 PM

They can only use lights and sirens if it is an extreme emergency. If they are expedited, they can use lights but not sirens. Although I have seen CPD use both just to cross a red light and carry on with their patrol.

Like I've said before, we need watchers to watch the watchers.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

Like I've said before, we need watchers to watch the watchers.
Well said.

Old 02-26-2003, 01:36 PM

I will be going for my batchelor's degree come next fall when i start to be a police officer but i do know one thing, it is illegal in CT for an emergency vehicle to be moving with just the siren or just the lights on, it must be both. However i still see them around with just lights so i dont know how strictly it is enforced.

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 02-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Police induced body sensations

Okay, I've held off all day on this, but can't hold back any longer Since Randy isn't here this week and Mike is slipping lately, I'll take over on this one.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about full cavity body searches.

Old 02-26-2003, 03:58 PM

My sick mind thought of it but decided not to do it since I have a reputation to protect
Old 02-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
OK... here's the reason....

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
I've got a worse one for you though. This has happened to me twice in 15 years of driving. Driving on a several lane freeway at night, with a bit of traffic on the roads both times. A car comes racing up from behind, switching lanes erratically and everything else you would normally associate with some jerk doing reckless driving. Except these times, as the speeding car passes, it is a State Patrol! No flashing red and blue lights, no warning at all. And I'm talking like I was going 70 and he passed me like I'm sitting still, weaving and changing lanes to get around everyone. VERY unsafe IMHO.

Both times, a few miles up the road, they are pulled over with the flashing lights finally on, behind another car. I guess the logic is they are trying to sneak up on a speeding car that had been called in or had passed them. And they don't want to tip them off by flashing their lights until they get within "striking range"?
From the officer' point of view, here's what happens...
You are sitting at the trap.... and a car flys by! You are already way behind the offender. You must enter traffic safely to prevent a nasty collision with the rest of traffic. You need to catch up. You know that he is looking for you and if he saw you and he is running, you know that the second that he sees the lights he is going to drive more recklessly than when he first saw you. So you (having had pursuit training, hopefully) do your best to catch up without killing anyone.
Once you turn on the flashing lights you find that people in front of you get dumb...(dumber!) they pull in front of you... slow down... swerve anywhich way they can.... So you try not to turn on your lights until you might actually be close enough to show the offender that there is no chance to escape.... so you are correct to a degree.... but the actual reasoning is just a tad deeper...
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 02-26-2003, 05:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Me too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

I can't drive a car, or even ride in a car without my seatbelt on. I feel almost naked without it.

Mike
I also feel not quite right without the seat belt on. It is a pain to get your wallet when at a drive-through with the belt on... but it deffinately makes you feel more secured to your seat. Kinda like driving without pants... not that I have done that... much.

How bout this one: I'm driving on one of my typical freeways late one night a little over a year ago watching for traps. There is a certain spot where there frequently is a trap and I'm going just barely over the speed limit. Sure enough a police car in the typical spot (on the opposing side of th freeway) and just before I get to him, a dark green Grand Am flies by me at around 90-100 mph. Just as a predict the cop comes accross the ditch to my side of the freeway to chase him. I move over so he can pass me and get the punk high-school kids as they take the next clover leaf exit. His lights flashing and siren blaring he gets in my lane and is coming up fast, so I move over to let him by, but he pulls behind me again and slows down and pulls me over. I'm a little pissed since I was driving the limit and being nice to try and let him by when he chose a poor lane for pursuit. He asks if I know why he pulled me over (of course). I actually laughed and said I had no idea. He says he clocked me at something like 96 mph... I laugh a little harder this time and say, "I don't think so, that would have been the green Grand Am that just completely got away on the next exit." I am driving my usual car, a white Olds Aurora... how do you confuse that with dark green Grand Am? The cop thinks for a few seconds and tells me, "Well, O.K.... I'll buy your story.", and walks back to his car. I got a little pissed from that statement and wanted to shout, "I'm not selling you a f*cking story, that is how it was and you're just an idiot!" Of course I didn't say that, I just drove off thinking what a waste of my time. Anybody have something like that happen?

-Aaron

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 02-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Me too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Pure_Insanity8
I also feel not quite right without the seat belt on. It is a pain to get your wallet when at a drive-through with the belt on... but it deffinately makes you feel more secured to your seat. Kinda like driving without pants... not that I have done that... much.
I feel the same way. I would be very nervous in any car without my seatbelt on...I know how I can drive sometimes!! I also hate it when I realise that the only reason some people wear a seatbelt is not to be safer but to avoid a ticket.