Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Ticallion

Tranny flush?

Hey...

Alright with my svx, i'd like to get the tranny fluid changed as it hit 200,000km just at the end of the season. Now I know that I can just drop the pan and replace that ****... but I want a complete flush, if possible. Are there any complications if I do that? AAMCO said that they don't want to do it because it will rush sludge deposits through the valve body.

Opinions? I'll be selling in the spring, and I want to make sure the buyer will not have any problems with the car. The level is good, but the fluid seems a tad varnished (normal for the mileage)

PS: Dudes, i have had overwhelming response about the stebro deal. I'll do my best to put something together sometime this week with him so that you can call stebro and order directly if you mention the SVX club, that way, you'll get the group buy price, and I won't have to bother with any lists of names so that people don't ***** at me if I make a mistake lol Don't worry! I haven't forgotten! I'll call him up this weekend.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Ticallion

Bump. Any advice?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Most posts on the forum seem to advise against a reverse flush, and recommend just dropping the pan, draining what comes out naturally, then refilling. Do this several times, and you've got almost all new ATF.

Rationale for not flushing is just what AAMCO told you.

I read one post where a guy did a forward flush and had no problems, and a few others have done reverse flushes with no problems. My guess is it depends on the shape of your tranny.

I've also seen recommendations to reverse flush the tranny cooler in '92s to make sure the mesh isn't clogged up.

Never done any of this myself, so I can't attest to any of it.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 02-03-2003, 01:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I've done the "self powered" flush on my 92 SVX a couple of times now and it is still running fine. All you have to do is disconnect the tranny outlet hose and start the engine for about 30-45 seconds or until the fluid from the hose starts to sputter, then shut off the engine. It doesn't get all of the fluid out, but certainly more than the pan drain method. Mine does slip a bit between 2 and 3 with the throttle at certain positions, but it's been like that for several years now, so I know the flush is not the reason for it.

KuoH
Old 02-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Ticallion

Very well... so how does one go about adjusting the TPS? Anyone have a service manual that they wanna scan a couple of pages out of for me pretty please?!?!