How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-08-2003, 10:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Question AWD question

I've owned 4wd before the SVX but only with open diffs front & rear. When I had my SVX in the snow (briefly) I noticed that when I jumped on the gas and the wheels spun that the backend swung out like a rear wheel drive car. Is this due to the limited slip diff in the rear? It seems like it would cause it as it would leave only one of the front tires not spinning out and acting as a pivot point for the car. I never experienced this in my Trooper since the open diffs only let one wheel spin on each axle, there by keeping it pointed straight when the tires slip.

Having 3 wheels always driving would seem better than 2 wheels driving at face value but when the backend swings out in icy stuff I can't help but wonder it open diffs aren't better. Any thoughts from long time SVX owners who've had both kinds of 4WD?

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yes I have noticed the same thing in my SVX. The back end does swing out when the wheels start to spin. I think your right about the limited slip rear.

The front and rear power shafts from the tranny have to spin at the same speed when the transfer valve kicks in on our USA models.

So when turning a corner the inside rear wheel is going to turn faster than the ground speed due to the LSD rear and the outside wheel will turn slower than ground speed.

Each of the front wheels will turn at ground speed because the front diff is not LSD.

Remove the LSD rear? What is it there for?
Old 01-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I have the same thing, not good if you go to accelerate from a stop to do a 90degree turn onto another road. But compared to other cars it really is rather nice traction.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Remove the LSD rear? What is it there for?
it is there so that on wet and dry pavement at least 3 tires are putting the power to the pavement for optimum acceleration and traction. That is why it is there but I'm wondering if it doesn't make our cars less than ideal 4WD's on ice and snow

Old 01-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
That is why it is there but I'm wondering if it doesn't make our cars less than ideal 4WD's on ice and snow
The SVX is AWD
Old 01-08-2003, 12:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I think that the SVX is fantastic on snow - but because of its considerable heft, you have to be very careful tossing it around.

Yeah, if you're on snow and you jump on the gas the rear is going to get a little unstable. You're on snow, for crying out loud. You can't expect that any car is going to behave the same on ice as it does on dry pavement.

I had a part-time 4WD Toyota truck before my SVX. The Toyota had better clearance and larger-diameter tires for really deep snow, but the SVX's AWD makes it much more confidence-inspiring in any other condition.

Since we've had a decent amount of snow this winter, I've been practicing using the e-brake in the Justy. I'm getting a much better feel for it. Last year it made me nervous.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-08-2003, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac

The SVX is AWD
Semantics, semantics...*sigh*

Old 01-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
it is there so that on wet and dry pavement at least 3 tires are putting the power to the pavement for optimum acceleration and traction. That is why it is there but I'm wondering if it doesn't make our cars less than ideal 4WD's on ice and snow
I wonder if Huck would care to comment? On the rear diff swap for the 5spd is the LSD no longer there?
Old 01-08-2003, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I think that the SVX is fantastic on snow - but because of its considerable heft, you have to be very careful tossing it around.

Yeah, if you're on snow and you jump on the gas the rear is going to get a little unstable. You're on snow, for crying out loud. You can't expect that any car is going to behave the same on ice as it does on dry pavement.

I had a part-time 4WD Toyota truck before my SVX. The Toyota had better clearance and larger-diameter tires for really deep snow, but the SVX's AWD makes it much more confidence-inspiring in any other condition.

Since we've had a decent amount of snow this winter, I've been practicing using the e-brake in the Justy. I'm getting a much better feel for it. Last year it made me nervous.
In my Trooper when I jumped on the gas it never stepped out on me like the SVX does. It just spun the tires as it hooked up. I suppose the SVX is actually as good as any 4x4 with limited slip or lockers in the rear so it must be a good thing However I have to say that nothing inspired confidence on ice and snow the way my Trooper did. It was the most stable vehicle I ever drove on ice. At least with the SVX I will be having some SERIOUS fun in snowy/icy parking lots. It'll feel like I'm driving a very refined 60's muscle car on dry pavement!

Old 01-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Speaking of the e-brake...what happens in the SVX if we pull the e-brake while we are moving?

For the Justy:
2wd - the back end will fly around and there is much fun to be had
4wd - all 4 wheels lock up and you go sliding in a straight line uncontrollably

I would assume for the SVX when you pull the lever it will try to stop the rear wheels but then the AWD would think the front wheels are spinning and transfer some power back to the rear.

Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-09-2003, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Yes, it does bring the rear end around if you also turn the wheel a bit, but don't step on the gas. In the SVX, there's really never any need to do this as a generous application of the throttle will easily bring the rear end around in snow.

And as for the questions about the LSD, without it, if you got one front and one rear wheel spinning due to lack of traction, you'd be stuck. With LSD, you can still get going as long as one of the rear wheels has traction, just don't go hog wild on the gas pedal.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Has anyone tried this?