Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 12:21 PM
$VX

My first AWD experience (snow!)

Well, for thanksgiving my family rented a log house up in door county, WI. Beautiful place. Anyway, yesterday, apparently mother nature decided that she could unleash hell since it was now december... it snowed probably 2" right off the bat and visibility was only about 100ft in some cases. Well, DAMN, I love the SVX. I mean, sports cars are cool and all, but there's something about an ALL SEASON sports car that makes it THAT MUCH COOLER. You literally get twice the car by buying an AWD SVX, since if I had purchased a RWD sporty car, I'd probably only use it half the year. The SVX you can use BOTH halves! I've never had a car with ABS before, I don't know how to feel about it yet, its kinda weird.... um... but the AWD just freaking OWNS! I LOVE IT! To you guys who are driving your SVXs only in NICE weather, you're missing out on the point of this car! Everything about this car is made for winter! The winter mode wipers, the heated mirrors, the awesome defrost system. DAMN! There isn't another car that I'd rather be in this winter. AT ALL. If you gave me one million dollars, I'd be driving an SVX this winter.

- Ca$h
Old 12-02-2002, 12:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: My first AWD experience (snow!)

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
To you guys who are driving your SVXs only in NICE weather, you're missing out on the point of this car!
I know I am, but I'm going to continue to do it anyway. I hope to keep my SVX for a long, long time to come, and I can't do that while continuing to drive it in the winter.

As you no doubt understand now, I miss driving the SVX in snow. I miss it a lot. But the salt and the disintegrating roads aren't worth it.

Plus the Justy does a pretty damned good job in the stuff anyway.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-02-2002, 12:42 PM
FifthElement

Just be sure to drive cautiously. AWD doesnt do much of any good in icey conditions. Just this past weekend there have been several tragedies that hit close to home due to the SHE ITTY conditions. We don't think about stuff like that usually until it hits home.

But I'm with ya, brotha. I've never driven anything but AWD and there's no way I'd feel safe about anything but AWD in snow. Heck, I slide through a bunch of stop signs every winter as it is, and that's in AWD/ABS equipped vehicles, so I only shudder to think what it must be like without it.
Old 12-02-2002, 01:00 PM
Green1995SVX

I dont know If i'll ever be able to not drive the SVX in the winter. That is when the car is at its peak level of fun!!

Mike
Old 12-02-2002, 01:14 PM
FifthElement

If you've never experienced a donut in the SVX, it appears that now is the time. Not that I would know
Old 12-02-2002, 01:46 PM
1st one red, 2nd one black

Cool

Yes, its a ton-o-fun in the snow, but caution is in order. It's easy to get yourself lifted off the ground by the snow piling up under you. All it takes is a dip in the road where the snow has filled it in and the pavement sort a drops away from you. umpffffffff, your stuck. Also, I have high centered myself on the ridges the snow plow leaves for us here in South Dakota. It would be awsome with some dedicated snow tires I bet.

But, yes, ain't it a blast!!!!!!!!

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

The inventor of the doorbell did not own a dog.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:47 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Not much pulls a grin across my face like punching the gas in th 4wd/awd vehicle on hard-pack snow or ice and having the vehicle take off like a bat outta hell!!! It makes even a slow car feel fast as hell. I can't wait to get my SVX in the snow

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: My first AWD experience (snow!)

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
If you gave me one million dollars, I'd be driving an SVX this winter.

- Ca$h
Ca$h,

If you give me one million dollars (tax free of course...dream big)
I will be driving 14 SVXes (2 SVXes per model year) this winter. At least one will have a 6-speed manual tranny. I will have 2 per year. One with high performance all-season tires and one with performance snow/ice tires.

PS: It's nice to have money.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 12-02-2002, 06:35 PM

Yeah the AWD system does OWN!!! Whatever that means. Personally, I will never go back to FWD or RWD ever again. It just wont feel right. They dont provide the type of traction an awd system provides. I've said it once, an I'ma say it again"Once u go AWD, you'll never go back!"
Old 12-02-2002, 06:58 PM
FifthElement

The fever is spreading!
Old 12-02-2002, 07:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by fait_svx
Yeah the AWD system does OWN!!! Whatever that means. Personally, I will never go back to FWD or RWD ever again. It just wont feel right. They dont provide the type of traction an awd system provides. I've said it once, an I'ma say it again"Once u go AWD, you'll never go back!"
Same here

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 12-02-2002, 07:29 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Originally posted by blackbolt94red
Yes, its a ton-o-fun in the snow, but caution is in order. It's easy to get yourself lifted off the ground by the snow piling up under you. All it takes is a dip in the road where the snow has filled it in and the pavement sort a drops away from you. umpffffffff, your stuck. Also, I have high centered myself on the ridges the snow plow leaves for us here in South Dakota. It would be awsome with some dedicated snow tires I bet.

But, yes, ain't it a blast!!!!!!!!

What's snow?

Randy (Actually it is kinda cold here) ii
Old 12-02-2002, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Not much pulls a grin across my face like punching the gas in th 4wd/awd vehicle on hard-pack snow or ice and having the vehicle take off like a bat outta hell!!! It makes even a slow car feel fast as hell. I can't wait to get my SVX in the snow
Or have all four wheels spin udnerneeth you while the car sits there and doesn't move.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:00 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

Or have all four wheels spin udnerneeth you while the car sits there and doesn't move.
LOL...true!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Every *bleepin'* time it has snowed, with any significance, here, my car has been in the shop or the AWD was inop. They're predicting an inch or more of the white stuff overnight, tonight. So, I'll A) need you to keep your fingers crossed that my AWD doesn't go out, and B) need for some of you to come down here and block the snow plows. Last year, they were just TOO eager to clear the roads.

CAN'T WAIT!!!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI