Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-03-2002, 10:05 AM
Vern!

Stale from the rumormill about the new SVX

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk:/news/a...y.php?id=25843

Style is set to become top priority at Subaru. The company is starting work on a secret new coupé inspired by its classic SVX... and designed by the man who penned the Alfa Romeo 147.

Powered by an evolution of the six-cylinder 3.0-litre boxer engine that made its debut in the Legacy Outback, the new car is expected to provide an alluring combination of design and technology when it goes on sale in two years' time.

Delivering at least 250bhp, the newcomer will be jointly developed by Subaru and the company's tuning department, STi. The car will offer all-wheel drive as well as a five-speed automatic gearbox to complement its luxurious character. To ensure the coupé's looks appeal to European tastes, Subaru employed Greek designer Andreas Zapatinas, who has styled some of the world's most desirable cars, including the Alfa 147. Insiders suggest Subaru decided to use a European designer after it came in for criticism about the bug-eyed appearance of its Impreza WRX.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:10 AM

So I guess subaru exec.s still haven't learned anything, matting this possibly beautiful thing to an auto trans. Perhaps they want to fail and then blame the coolest car they've ever made for their demise.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:30 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I have seen it enough times before. They keep saying this but I doubt anything bigger will come out anytime soon.

Reasons behind my comment:
1. Europeans are not like us in the US. They want cars with smaller engines. We want cars that use 5mpg. They want 50mpg.
2. WRX/Impreza is selling. It is FHI/SOA's advantage to keep pumping on what sells.
3. They don't want the same mistake they made on the SVX worldwide. So the new car will not be labled with the SVX tag since SVX means failure (in the FHI/SOA's eyes).
4. FHI/SOA is a small fish in the bigpond of people making 2 door coupes and the market already has a ton of Hondas and Toyotas -- And they sell due to the name (Ask people that goes to Subaru Dealerships about VDC system and see how many understand and how many seen one VS. ask someone at Honda showroom about Honda's ABS).
5. Even if they do design it, it will never be an engineer's car. It will always be the accountant's car. Look at Baja compare to STX.

Need I say more?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 08-03-2002, 11:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Try this link for some 'new' News

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk:/front_...p%3Fid%3D25843

Andy
Old 08-03-2002, 12:48 PM
Kamaleon

well well..

As long as doesnt have the bogus issues that the SVX has it would ok by me. I like subbies, i dont liek their trannys, cant they just make a better tranny 'please' subaru could compete with honda head to head if their vehicles were more reliable, less flaws

Only 30hp increase in 10 years is minimal, couldnt they turbo or supercharge it from factory!?

My next (or my wife's) 'new' car i think its going to be a hibrid in a few years, has subaru started researching them? This might happen unless there is a new svx that is more reliable and as good looking as ours by that time that gets my attention.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:05 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
The lastest info from here is that Subaru will NOT make another SVX but will supply 4WD components and a boxer 6 with possibly a turbo, to GM for use in a Chevrolet sports coupe. If the vehicle sells well, Subaru may offer their own rebadged version but only in the US.

paddlesnz
JAPAN
Old 08-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Boone

Jeez. Just what we need, an H6 AWD Cavelier.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Kamaleon

GM knows cant build quality stuff.. thats why it has to go to an other company and buy their stuff in bulk and change the name to get some type of recognition from the masses.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Check this out

First, click on: http://www.alfa147.it/
Next, click English
then "The Styling"
next "The Details"
click on the back of the 147 and check out the design.

Now go to: http://www.italdesign.com
Click "Experience the Alfa Romeo Brera Special"
Now click on the bottom red square on the Alfa's grill,
marked "Technical Data"
check out the rear of the car.

Isn't it interesting how Zapatina and Giugiaro ended up with similar designs for the rear of these cars? Maybe Alfa wanted that rear window/Alfa badge hatch release design built into all their newer cars.

The views of the Brera on that site makes me want a poster of it for my wall. In my humble opinion, it has to rank up there with a few of the most beautiful car bodies I have ever seen. Giorgetto is amazing; his designs keep getting better and better.
Don

Last edited by SVXphile; 08-03-2002 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Kamaleon

Rear window look similar.. many hatch type european cars have that tendency.. i.e. Peugeot.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:36 PM

Re: well well..

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamaleon
As long as doesnt have the bogus issues that the SVX has it would ok by me. I like subbies, i dont liek their trannys, cant they just make a better tranny 'please' subaru could compete with honda head to head if their vehicles were more reliable, less flaws

Only 30hp increase in 10 years is minimal, couldnt they turbo or supercharge it from factory!?

On the defense for FHI/SOA, I'd like to say the following:
Subarus do make RELIABLE supercharged *yes -- supercharged* H-6 with 5/6speed. They just don't import it here. Check out the B-39 (or the B4 prototype). Check out the H-4 WRC STi WRX with 6speed which won a couple of championships. That should say how reliable the trannies are. Those trannies/engine configurations are not YET imported to the US yet due to a couple of things, one being the emission/safety tests. A lot the countries has lower standards on emissions compare to the US. That's one of the reasons why we have not seen the EVO5 or the STi WRX.
Last time I heard, EVO5 did not pass the safety front end crash and STi WRX did not pass the emission (I wonder why FHI sold 10% of Subaru to GM *hint - wink* emission testing machines).

If you want a H-6 with 5 speed or H-6 with a good solid 5spd auto tranny, give it a while.

Or, call up SOA at Cherryhill, NJ and tell them to stop chickening out.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 08-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Boone

I was curious and found that GM bought 20% of FHI in 1999 and is thus the largest stock holder. Hmm... GM ownership is the reason I didn't buy another SAAB.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boone
I was curious and found that GM bought 20% of FHI in 1999 and is thus the largest stock holder. Hmm... GM ownership is the reason I didn't buy another SAAB.
Well, along with the ownership, comes the benifits as well as downfalls. GM needs much nicer looking cars with good QC. Saab, Subaru has that. And SOA, SAAB can get into the US market as well as use the GM machines for testing purpose. It's all in the good game. I will however, pull out as soon as I see QC below per on any Subaru or SAAB.

Lwin
Old 08-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Kamaleon

Since we are and live in the US i wasreferign to beign Reliable here in the US.. From what i read in diff newsgroups and people alike subaru's tranny in the USA are not as we would like them to be.. Apart from that suby's sold in the USA are very competitive. Yet having a time bomb for tranny is not very inspiring non the less we still buy subarus

The SVX is my first subby and first used card, and besides its flaws im keeping it for a long time (if my wife lets me, she might get jelous).

What does emissions and test crash has to do with trannys!?
Old 08-04-2002, 12:17 AM
Boone

This is a little dated but a good read. D.

http://www.amherst.edu/~ilstrata/Teliko.htm