Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-19-2002, 02:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Quote:
Originally posted by Beav

And we are supposed to think you were just there to see how the less fortunate lives???
*adopts a snooty, upperclass tone*

"Well, one must lower oneselves to clean the cars when the hired help get ideas above their station. Tsk tsk, I don't know what is happening....I an reduced to cleaning the Lotus S4S myself, my daaarrrlling wife is reassembling the gearbox on the F550 Maranello after a tad too much enthusiasm when, can you believe it, the driver told her to drive herself to Harrods!!! Egads!

While I have the attention of you great unwashed, does anyone know how to reset the ECU on a McLaren F1??? Turns out the gardener, in a Luddite-inspired fit of sabotage, took it upon himself to set the speed limiter at 40 miles per hour! The shame, the embarrasment of being passed by plebs in 3 wheeled Robin Reliants!!"

Viscount James of Sydney, Esq

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-19-2002, 06:48 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
For carpets I use a powder called capture. It's strong enough to take year old cat barf stains out of carpet. It is made specifically for carpet cleaning by a company that makes carpets and fibers.

Also -don't ever take your cat out of the carrier at 90mph and let it watch the trees whizzing by.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:57 AM

leather vs. synthetic suede

I have had very many good experiences with both the Eagle 1 cleaner and conditioner on quite a few different cars, and the Lexol products work just fine. The Ecsaine is a synthetic suede, there are quite a few very highline new cars showing up with this stuff, or at least a 1st cousin... Some early SVX's had this material on the seats! I would look for a member with this experience, but the previous recommendations regarding RUB=PILLING are accurate.

The leather on my seats is a pretty heavy grade material (more suited to gauntlets than ladies' gloves) and I have had no problems removing any stain with the Eagle 1 cleaner... With a little "elbow grease" applied.
Old 05-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
This is a household carpet trick, but, I don't see why it wouldn't work on automotive carpet.

You know how difficult it is to get sticky, soft drink, residue out of carpet? Windex. Yes, Windex sprayed on a soft drink or particularly nasty stain comes out with a healthy spray and blotting. If you have light-colored carpet, you may need to use some water and more blotting to get the hint of blue out, but, it worked aces on our living room carpet after my daughter's babysitting job went awry when a toddler with a tippy cup, turned into a toddle with a dribble cup, ran through our living room which has beige carpet.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Oh, another thing. On the headliner, lighter fluid (or straight naptha, if you can get it) does a good job of taking out stains there.
Uhhh... Stains on the headliner? Note that Aredub, as president of The Network has now equaled the prowess of another (ex)president.
Nonetheless, I'm certainly impressed.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-19-2002, 10:01 PM
Hater

i have a LOT of car care products, and for leather, Leatherique stuff is the best i've tried. i got it a www.Leatherique.com i found out about it on the Porsche list. put the Reujuvenator stuff on and cover the seat with a garbage bag for a few days. it gets all the crap from the pores in the leather and brings it to the surface, and then you clean it with the Prestine Clean. my leather on the 928 wasn't in bad shape to begin with, but it was like new when i finished. leaves a nice "new leather smell", too. i've heard it will make "cardboard" leather like butter after a few treatments. i'm going to use it on the SVX soon. they also make crack-filler and dye, if your seats are in really bad shape, but i haven't tried these products. there is another leather softener product that is supposedly very good, but i can't remember the name of it. i think its called Sur-flex, or something like that. try www.carcareonline.com - i think thats where they sell it, if i got the web address right. hope that helps,
Alan

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-19-2002, 10:10 PM
Hater

BTW, Griot's Garage sells "new leather scent" air freshener spray. i had to get a couple bottles
Alan

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-19-2002, 11:10 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Uhhh... Stains on the headliner? Note that Aredub, as president of The Network has now equaled the prowess of another (ex)president.
Nonetheless, I'm certainly impressed.

Ron.
Oh bee-haayve!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-20-2002, 08:01 AM

Acri-sol

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
Y'all can take this as friendly advice and do with it what ya want...

Around the shop we 'occasionally' have 'mysterious' spots appear on upholstery, carpets, etc. (NOT LEATHER!) and have found that the best 'tool' is a can of generic 'brake-clean' (not carb-clean, it leaves a residue.) Spray a small spot on a clean rag and dab/swipe towards the center of the stain. ALWAYS test on an inconspicuous area first! (gee, did I spell that right? )(am I being conspicuous? )

For larger areas try the previously mentioned cleaners.
Beav,

We use a product called Acri-sol. Less harsh than brake cleaner I think. Mine are all soil spots not oil spot but thanks.