Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-09-2002, 03:27 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
tach needle not moving

I have a question for some of you technical people out there. I was driving my car back from a concrete pour about 30 miles away from home. I had it in drive with the cruise set at about 45. When the car in front of me started to speed up, I also did the same. There was something strange tho. When I looked at the tach, It wasn't moving off of 2 grand. I had to just bounce he gas pedal really lightly and it would be back to normal. There was however a little jitter when I did it. I am thinking that my torch converter was locked and I had just disengaged it/broke it free. Since then it has done it maybe 3 more times that I have noticed. I never used to look at my tach, but now I am kind of paranoid, so I do more. Maybe I am just asking a stupid question here, but I have never seen that in any of my Z24's. Is this normal for that car. I would rather ask a stupid question and be laughed at, then keep quite and be broke due to repair costs. Let me know
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:19 PM
I hate stupid people!

Well, I was hoping to maybe get an answer on this but unfortunatly I am driving to NH tomorrow with my girl for a little camping. I will be back on suday night, and I will check back then, but for now, I am "tires" and need a little sleep before work tomorrow. See you guys when I get back. I will try to get by without the site for a few days.

Boomin<--- already feels the withdrawls coming on.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:33 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Doubtful that the torque convertor has anything to do with it, you may have a loose wire underhood or the tach may be beginning to develop a sticky spot. Or it could be any number of other items...keep an eye on it and let us know more.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:45 AM
I hate stupid people!

I have been watching that, needle and can't for the life of me figure out why it keeps doing this. It will do it AT ANY rpm until I bounce the gas and make it change gears or need more power. I would almost swear it is sticking on the torque converter. This is starting to scare me. No one else had this problem?
Old 05-29-2002, 05:28 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The torque convertor has nothing to do with the tach. However the crank sensor probably provides the signal and the engine speed is used to determine certain parameters of the transmission's operation. But since you haven't mentioned the check engine light flashing I'd suspect the tach is sticking a bit. If you're the handy type I'd suggest pulling it out and checking it for debris, cleaning it up and maybe a drop of machine oil on its bearings.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I have an SVX tach, disassembled, on my desk right here. The way I understand it is that the tach takes ignition signals from the ECU and converts that into engine speed. Whether the IC in the tach converts this into a voltage for the motor that spins the needle, or just sends 1/6th of the pulses to the motor, I have not yet determined. I suspect something like the latter is more likely.

Anyway, I suspect the tach itself or its wiring in your case. You'd have other symptoms if it was something major.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE