Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
For those with good ears

Hey. Well, I've been complaining about a buzzing in my exhaust. It's not the resonator (I have the KC exhaust system), and it's definately coming from the catalytic converter area. It's not the heat shield on the main cat because I've had that off for about 5 months now. So, I have a sound clip of the buzz. If somebody could tell me if this sounds like a bad cat, I'd like that. For a little background, the buzz doesn't seem too be around when the car is revved up in neutral or park. When put under a load, it buzzes. Especially noticeable when starting from a stop on an uphill slope, or when the car shifts into second gear quickly, and accelerates from very low RPM in second. Thanks in advance.

Mat

P.S. The rattle is most obvious (to me anyway) the last 2 times I rev the engine. Unfortunately, the laptop gets lots of the engine noise to confuse everything.
Attached Files
File Type: wav bettersvxcat.wav (689.5 KB, 165 views)
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-07-2002, 11:32 PM

Re: For those with good ears

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
it's definately coming from the catalytic converter area.
Unfortunately I can't be of direct help, but after having my resonator chopped of at meineke muffler, and having it replaced with a piece of straight pipe, I still have a rather loud buzzing noise untill the car warms up. Not as bad with the resonator though. I was told that something inside one of the catalytic converters can actually make the preceeding resonator, or whatever after market parts you've put on, cause a buzzing noise.

Dave.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 05-07-2002 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:54 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: For those with good ears

Quote:
Hey. Well, I've been complaining about a buzzing in my exhaust. It's not the resonator (I have the KC exhaust system), and it's definately coming from the catalytic converter area. It's not the heat shield on the main cat because I've had that off for about 5 months now. So, I have a sound clip of the buzz. If somebody could tell me if this sounds like a bad cat, I'd like that. For a little background, the buzz doesn't seem too be around when the car is revved up in neutral or park. When put under a load, it buzzes. Especially noticeable when starting from a stop on an uphill slope, or when the car shifts into second gear quickly, and accelerates from very low RPM in second. Thanks in advance.

Mat

P.S. The rattle is most obvious (to me anyway) the last 2 times I rev the engine. Unfortunately, the laptop gets lots of the engine noise to confuse everything.
I don't know what a bad cat sounds like, but to me it sounds more like a hole in your exhaust. A small one, but that's what I hear.

If I were to expand on it, I would say that the hole is probably after the pipes merge. If it was only one side of the exhaust you would hear more of a put-put noise.

Hey, good job recording this. It sounds pretty good. Not studio-quality, but pretty damned good. How'd you go about it, exactly? If more people recorded their noises (and compressed them to MP3 format - WAV is kinda big), we would have a better consensus on what noises were what.

Hell, we could even have a database of noises and their causes.

Good idea, me.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 05-08-2002, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Re: For those with good ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Hey, good job recording this. It sounds pretty good. Not studio-quality, but pretty damned good. How'd you go about it, exactly? If more people recorded their noises (and compressed them to MP3 format - WAV is kinda big), we would have a better consensus on what noises were what.

Hell, we could even have a database of noises and their causes.

Good idea, me.
Nick,

I'll bring my portable mini-disc recorder and mic to the 10th Anniversary meet and we can go out scouting noises to record for your project.

Todd
Old 05-08-2002, 11:28 AM

Good Idea

I like the sound database Idea. That'd be a great help sometimes, i'm sure. To record mine, I did one with my laptop sitting under the car about 1' and the one I posted, I had my laptop sitting in my lap and a plugged in microphone sitting about 5" away from the cat. Real easy. If anybody wants any recordings of anything, lemme know and I'll do it. I don't know how to compress to MP3 form, though.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 05-08-2002, 01:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Good Idea

Quote:
I like the sound database Idea. That'd be a great help sometimes, i'm sure. To record mine, I did one with my laptop sitting under the car about 1' and the one I posted, I had my laptop sitting in my lap and a plugged in microphone sitting about 5" away from the cat. Real easy. If anybody wants any recordings of anything, lemme know and I'll do it. I don't know how to compress to MP3 form, though.
Mat, you need a program called dBpowerAMP Music Converter. It's real slick and will convert WAVs into MP3s. It also rips and converts an entire CD in about ten minutes. I will, however, be happy to convert this one and include it as the first in my 'collection' of SVX sounds. Once we get an actual diagnosis on your noise, I'll include it as the symptom.

I actually didn't even realize that you started the thread. The sound I think is an exhaust leak is probably your aftermarket exhaust.

Listening to the file again, I now hear the rattle. Jeez, it could be anything. Try getting under the car and tapping on things with a screwdriver or (small) wrench until you find the same noise. It's not a high-tech solution, but one that's worked for me before.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 05-08-2002 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:00 PM

been there

done that...I already tried poking around. Can't seem to find anything. Like I already said, I'm leaning toward exhaust system because it's worse when the car is under load. It's probably a leak, so I think I'm gonna take it to a muffler shop Friday and see if they can find any leaks. I honestly think it's a Cat, though. Or maybe I'm just hoping it's a cat so I can get a new one and "regain some lost power" .

Old 05-08-2002, 04:15 PM
svxeno

I go along with the small hole.

Randy (Listening to the buzzing in my head) ii
Old 05-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by svxeno
[B]I go along with the small hole.

It's taking every fiber of strength within my warped mind NOT to respond to this one.
Phew!!! Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Talking I hear ya Ron, I hear ya!

I can't tell much from the recording (sorry) but I can tell you that a bad cat' sounds like a rattle, like a golf ball in a small coffee can. The tin around the outside of a cat' can buzz, however. Leaks can sound like many things because of their size, distance from the engine, yadda, yadda, yadda.