Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Registered Abuser

Acetone to the rescue

I've seen some debates on putting acetone in your gas tank for lower emissions and higher MPG. Well I finally have some of my own results. I took my 1991 Toyota Previa Van to smog test it on Thursday and it failed on HC and CO. Friday night I put four ounces acetone to seven gallons 87 octane and retested on Friday. Here are the readings:

HC...................CO....................MPG

Thursday
4.34g/mi...........114.5g/mi...........13.42

Standard
2.40g/mi............80.0g/mi............N/A

Friday
2.08g/mi............33.0g/mi............15.19

So, HC are down 52.1% while Co are down 71.2%. And mpg(I'm not sure how accurately they can measure with their methods but...) is up 13.1%. Quick, someone run and go tell the Feds. Oh wait nevermind, a dirty enviornment is more profitable to the oil companies. Politics aside, this is pretty cool. I tried it on my 84 Suburban that wouldn't pass last year. It passed with 0.00 CO.

Stephen
Old 04-29-2006, 02:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
yeah their just like any other injector cleaner you just had some build up in your car that needed to be cleaned out... you could have also driven it like it was stolen and it world have done basicly the same thing
Old 04-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
My work has 55 gallon drums of this stuff.

Filler up anyone.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan
yeah their just like any other injector cleaner you just had some build up in your car that needed to be cleaned out... you could have also driven it like it was stolen and it world have done basicly the same thing
It actually treats the fuel more than anything. It creates more complete combustion by breaking down the 'clumping' of fuel molecules onto dirt, water, ethanol or other impurities in the gas.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Don't screw with the Dragon

Send a message via AIM to Jade Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Jade Dragon
i wouldnt use Acetone, it might break down seals and lines. if you want to use anything, use denatured alcohol.

1992 Pearlie (Pearl): motorsport exhaust kit (Wife's)
1994 Red FWD (Roxi): Custom X exhaust
Old 04-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I've been using acetone off and on now for quite awhile and no problems to report at all. I use 3 ozs. to 10 gallons(which is the max you should ever use) and my mileage usually goes up a good amount and it runs real smooth and quite. 3 ozs. of acetone to 10 gallons is such a small ratio that I have no fear of problems with lines and seals and such. I mean really, put 3 oz. of acetone into a 10 gallon empty gas can and see what I mean. People have been doing this for years now and I have yet to hear of a failure caused by it. Now adays with gas at over 3 bucks a gallon, You can bet I'll be using it.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
I've been using acetone off and on now for quite awhile and no problems to report at all. I use 3 ozs. to 10 gallons(which is the max you should ever use) and my mileage usually goes up a good amount and it runs real smooth and quite. 3 ozs. of acetone to 10 gallons is such a small ratio that I have no fear of problems with lines and seals and such. I mean really, put 3 oz. of acetone into a 10 gallon empty gas can and see what I mean. People have been doing this for years now and I have yet to hear of a failure caused by it. Now adays with gas at over 3 bucks a gallon, You can bet I'll be using it.
Well said! I use 3oz to 10gal also for max mpg. I've read you can go up to 5oz to 10gal to further decrease emissions, even though it can hurt mpg.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elninoalex
Well said! I use 3oz to 10gal also for max mpg. I've read you can go up to 5oz to 10gal to further decrease emissions, even though it can hurt mpg.
Yes,It will hurt MPG with too much. I usually use it every other tank for best results. I've found that when first starting to use it after not using it for awhile, It's best to do 2 tanks in a row then drop to every other tank.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Don't screw with the Dragon

Send a message via AIM to Jade Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Jade Dragon
True, in such a small ratio, the acetone wont hurt anything. but ill still stick with my denatured alcohol. When ever i get to have fun with an overhaul. ill re-seal the whole car with alcohol safe seals. then i can run a high alcohol mix and get some good milage and a very high octane rating.

1992 Pearlie (Pearl): motorsport exhaust kit (Wife's)
1994 Red FWD (Roxi): Custom X exhaust
Old 05-01-2006, 02:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by elninoalex
It actually treats the fuel more than anything. It creates more complete combustion by breaking down the 'clumping' of fuel molecules onto dirt, water, ethanol or other impurities in the gas.
Don't they have pills that do that?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Don't they have pills that do that?
Yeah, that Cortislim seems to do the job pretty good.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:02 PM

I am temped to try this, but there is controversy all over the net about acetone eating gas lines. I know acetone eats plastic, I put 2 ounces into a plastic measuring cup before going to the gas station, but did not put it into the tank because it ate the cup! I would imagine that small quantities in gas will not affect the rubber in the lines, but am still apprehensive. Anyone?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM
I am temped to try this, but there is controversy all over the net about acetone eating gas lines. I know acetone eats plastic, I put 2 ounces into a plastic measuring cup before going to the gas station, but did not put it into the tank because it ate the cup! I would imagine that small quantities in gas will not affect the rubber in the lines, but am still apprehensive. Anyone?
Like I said earlier in this thread, I've been using it for quite awhile now and have yet to hear about or experience one problem caused by it. Hell, The first time I did it my MPG nearly DOUBLED! Everything I've read on the net so far has been speculation and here say with ZERO facts saying it hurts anything. Go ahead and try it. You'll probally be impressed. 1.Never use more than 3 ozs. max to 10 gallons. 2. Use it 2 tanks in a row then use it every other tank for best results. That's about all you need to know to use it.

Oh, and don't get it on the paint.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:45 PM
SVX Voyeur

Wow. That sounds crazy Around here I have heard people use Methyl Hydrate to cool the smog # 's.
1981 FIAT Spider 120,000Miles

50% Boxer

Last edited by US to CDN SVX; 05-02-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Hitchhikin'

What's Methyl Hydrate, and where do I get it?

Acetone help my gas mileage out during the couple tankfuls I measured when using it. It was a mild increase, but I calculated the cost of the acetone vs. the gas, and it seemed to cut costs down, albeit not by much.