Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I
Keep paying on the car and try to fix 20 71.43%
Let the car get repo'd 4 14.29%
drive the car off a cliff 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2006, 01:02 PM

Unhappy TO keep or not to keep

Ok so some of you may know about the problems I have had with my car. Thats right problems. And even though I fix, and repair, replace and rebuild, the car is still trying to fall apart. I got the car a year ago for 5k a little spendy for a 92 LSL but I thought that was a good thing as the car seemed to work perfectly. Then about 2 months after I bought the car the front diff blew. Well the ring and pinion gears broke some teeth. I replaced them (after first paying someone, not on this site, and bieng stiffed, then I got some from SVXFILES) and the car ran great for another 2 months. Oh and also it took about 2 months to fix the car (mostly waiting). Then the water pump siezed up and the radiator cracked across the top. I replaced the Rad (used from chike) and I replaced the water pump, timing belt, and an idler pulley, as one had gone bad. Then the car ran good for another couple weeks. Until it snowed and I realized that I only had front wheel drive with an occaisional bump of power to the rear. I found that for some reason the duty solenoid wasnt opening to allow flow to my rear transfer clutch, witch is perfeclty fine by the way. I dont know why but the car seems to pull when I drive it, thought it was the wider tires but now I am not so sure. the car also seems to have electrical probs. the power light kept coming on and the CE light as well. When the power light came on It would STAY ON, Unless I floored the gas and let off really quick. Both O2 sensors showed up bieng bad at that time. So I replaced the TPS sensor, couldnt get it set right until I cleaned the butterfly valves so that they would close all the way. For about 2 weeks the car stopped having the CE and the power light. Then the CE came back on with the O2 sensors and the Knock sensor. About a week later the power light came back on. TPS is in correct position and the screws are tight. Now there are also some little things. the driver side auto seat belt doesnt go back until I jiggle the key in the ignition. The sun roof doesnt open until I push on it. The passenger side window wouldnt roll up from the driverside (recently it stopped all together) The cold air stopped blowing out of the dash even if Its on vent just the legs and the defrost work now. Well anyways on top of all that I owe 3500 dollars on my loan for the car. No one will buy it for that amount unless I told the biggest lie and said it was perfect and the person buying was a moron. So I need to know whether I should let the car be repo'd or if I should drive it into a tree and let the insurance pay it off? So basiclly if I should repo it or keep paying for it even though it just seems to get worse.

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-04-2006, 01:57 PM

Of your three choices I'd say keeping it is your best option. Allowing repossession would be foolish. Ideally you could find someone to give you close to what you owe, but remember that the next used car you get is liable to come with a whole new set of troubles. Good luck.

dcb
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

You know, on the other thread, I was thinking you should get rid of the car. But if you've already fixed all this stuff, then why?

The seat belt sticking is common if it freezes in the retracted position where it locks. It's just gunked up. Spray it and watch that it doesn't hit your escaine..(or however that is spelled)

I think about 80% of us nudge on the sunroof to get it started. That's a clutch adjustment, but I let it go because I'm lazy, and also it extends the life of the motor. Not as much stress against it when you close the roof.

The vent blowing on your feet is also a gunked problem, and common. It's in the linkage you can reach on the passenger side. Crawl down there, find the linkage, spray it, then work it in by nudging it with your finger as you change the temp between 65 and 80 a few times, car running.

The passenger window is the master switch. Now they are kinda pricey at just over a hundred bucks. (Assuming the window works with the passenger switch) If it doesn't work on the passenger switch either... then its the regulator clip or the regulator/motor assembly. The assembly is on eBay continuously for between 9.99 and 39.99.

I don't know.... If you've already fixed this much... maybe you should keep it.

I have a friend who went the cliff route with a Honda Accord of all cars. If you decide that route, You can write him and get details on how to pull this off. He's at that minimum security prison in Atlanta for insurance fraud, so he'll be easy to reach. (The one right next to that max security prison. )

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 04-04-2006, 05:14 PM

Are you serious about the friend with the cliff?? I have fixed a bunch of things but not the big things, the ones that I could fix are just little. Today on the ride back from work the car went into power mode about 30 times. I had to put the tranny in neutral to turn it off. Wont even shift into 4th in power mode. Thats tranny issues that I dont understand. The CE light might really be that the sensors are bad. Ok well maybe I could try a few more things before I give it up. Just because I am broke all the time isnt that bad right? Not at the cost of having a great SVX!!! LOL

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running

Last edited by spinn360; 04-04-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
check your TPS voltage. Sounds to me like it is off or the TPS is bad

Tom
Old 04-04-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn360
Are you serious about the friend with the cliff?? I have fixed a bunch of things but not the big things, the ones that I could fix are just little. Today on the ride back from work the car went into power mode about 30 times. I had to put the tranny in neutral to turn it off. Wont even shift into 4th in power mode. Thats tranny issues that I dont understand. The CE light might really be that the sensors are bad. Ok well maybe I could try a few more things before I give it up. Just because I am broke all the time isnt that bad right? Not at the cost of having a great SVX!!! LOL
Oh. I thought you fixed the tranny. That one is scary. The one on my 94 went out while I was sitting at my desk I guess. I got off that evening, and nothing.... wouldn't move.

The one in my 92 has right at 160k and is smooth as silk...

The Honda insurance thing is true. He wasn't a close friend or anything, just someone I knew. I ran into him one day and he was beside himself going off that someone had stole his car, and the police won't even come out to his house. I consoled him etc., then basically forgot about it. Another couple of months passed and still no car. So I asked him, "by the way what ever happened about your car?" He said, ehh... they paid me off, the police here won't even look for it! I loved that car, etc., etc. I said "cool", and once again just kinda blew it off. Another couple of months pass, and I heard he was in trouble. Then another month and someone tells me he was sentenced to 3 years.

Come to find out, he had this friend, and they stole each other's cars. I really don't know if they both had the same insurance company, I never found that out. But anyway, one of the two guys got leaned on by their insurance company.... (which one depends on who's talking about them at the time) , and that person confessed. Some adjuster goes to the police, then goes back to the guy and he leads them to some area in Pahrump where both cars were. What I heard was that both cars were side by side. (Now that is just flat out stupid anyway.) Then the story gets confusing. Regardless of which one led them to the cars, the other refused to cooperate and got 3 years, while the one who cooperated fully was "shafted" by the DA and got 3 years anyway. Bottom line is they both got 3 years.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM

Well I was thinking of accidently leaving the car in neutral on a hill with out emergency brake.

Also Tom I replaced TPS and voltage is good but the power light still comes on and stays on so obviously electrical something else maybe a short? I dunno

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Well I was thinking of accidently leaving the car in neutral on a hill with out emergency brake.

Hey, with your luck, the emergency brake doesn't work anyway!

Old 04-04-2006, 07:30 PM

Actually........No, No thats the only thing that does work..................sorta

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-04-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Actually........No, No thats the only thing that does work..................sorta
OK... now we're getting somewhere. All ya have to do now is find neutral. It's probably in the 2 or L position, that's where the rest of us find it.

Don't bother looking at the speedo cluster to see which gear you have, cause that bulb blew out like 5 years ago.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:40 PM

Probably if I tried to roll the car into a tree it would probably swerve and stop in the middle of the road, block traffic and then get towed before I could do anything, then I would have to pay to get it back so I could try again.

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmm....Mabey if you stand outside the door with the car running, and rig a string to the shifter, you can throw a brick onto the cag pedal and pull the shifter into gear, let it speed. off....
Of course, your transmission is broke and the car doesnt engage in gear....
It might still be fixable yet. All the tranny problems can probly be solved with a 5 speed (You can sell the automatic to help pay...its obviously something tcu related)
As for the cel...In there I didnt notice you saying you replaced the O2 sensors...might want to try that. Also run a can of seafoam through the oil and brake booster..help clear out any gunkola that migt be causing problems. Hell, try that ASAP, its like 7 bucks to do it. Also..this might sound like a retarted question...But do you run premuim? If you dont that could lead to carbon deposits that might set off a cel...
Then again, I am probly wrong. Hell, heres what I say. Why the hell would you destroy it completly? If you try a few more things and it it possessed by electrical demons, and has absolutly no chance of making it....you could A- part it out to cover losses or B- pull a Benebob and make it TeH R4c3CarXorZ
Mabey rally style if you really wanna break stuff.....
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 04-05-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Hmm....Mabey if you stand outside the door with the car running, and rig a string to the shifter, you can throw a brick onto the cag pedal and pull the shifter into gear, let it speed. off....
Of course, your transmission is broke and the car doesnt engage in gear....
It might still be fixable yet. All the tranny problems can probly be solved with a 5 speed (You can sell the automatic to help pay...its obviously something tcu related)
As for the cel...In there I didnt notice you saying you replaced the O2 sensors...might want to try that. Also run a can of seafoam through the oil and brake booster..help clear out any gunkola that migt be causing problems. Hell, try that ASAP, its like 7 bucks to do it. Also..this might sound like a retarted question...But do you run premuim? If you dont that could lead to carbon deposits that might set off a cel...
Then again, I am probly wrong. Hell, heres what I say. Why the hell would you destroy it completly? If you try a few more things and it it possessed by electrical demons, and has absolutly no chance of making it....you could A- part it out to cover losses or B- pull a Benebob and make it TeH R4c3CarXorZ
Mabey rally style if you really wanna break stuff.....

The TCU thing is what I was thinking. But yeah I need to try and replace the o2 sensors,(when I get the money) to see if that helps. I will try the seafoam, as 7 bucks is about all I have to spare right now. I have ran premium always since I got the car except for the last fill up with plus because I was pissed that the car was running like **** so I said if its gonna run like crap anyways, I might as well not put the expensive gas in it. I have never put just regular in it though. Well I dont really want to repo it. I do kinda want to drive it off a cliff, and sometimes I wouldnt even mind being in it! But I will probably keep it and then once its all paid off and my credit is better. I will either fix or sell it. And if I fix it I am definately putting the 5 or 6mt in it as I really absolutely hate autos. Why Subaru? Why? Why did you make this car with out a manual?!?!?!

1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running
Old 04-05-2006, 09:56 PM
One teal and One yellow

Lazy to read what you wrote here now. Too long. You sound very pessimistic in most posts lately.

But I still voted for choice #1...

If "AutoTchr" offers help for you, why didn't you take/try it?

I think your car needs a good mechanic to check, spends some time and of course money. I have dumped alot of money on my second one, still not working right...but getting better. Each repairs is like around 4 digits or more so far. The money I spent on that thing, I can probably afford/pay installments on a much, much nicer car. I still like my car, if I want to sell it, I'd get to most things working right.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
Hay here is something I found that might fix the power light. It is an adjustment in the kickdown switch.

KICKDOWN SWITCH & DOWNSHIFT SOLENOID
1) With ignition on, press accelerator pedal to stop. A click
should be heard just as accelerator bottoms. If adjustment is
necessary, loosen adjustment nut and adjust switch position for proper
operation. Tighten nut.

2) If kickdown failure occurs infrequently, solenoid may be
malfunctioning because of contamination. Remove and clean inside of
solenoid while moving push rod. After cleaning, carefully check
solenoid operation. Install with NEW "O" ring.

I do not know were they are but I think one is under the dash on the gas pedal.

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there