SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Wink 4.44's coming soon

Well, As usual the SVX strikes again. Halfshaft 3 weeks ago, MAF died the day after I fixed the halfshaft, And now my tranny is on it's way out. It started a weird whirring noise today that is coming from my torque converter when in park or neutral. When you shut off the car you can hear the torque converter spin down so to speak. In gear it sounds completely normal. When cold, the tranny drops down to 4th gear at like 10 MPH and won't drop down unless I boot it and stalls the car when you come to a stop. But when warm it works perfectly normal. So, I called Svxfiles and I'll probally be getting 4.44's installed as soon as this tranny dies. I can't wait to join the 4.44 club.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
hate to hear about the problems, but way to be optimistic

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 01-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppStateSVX
hate to hear about the problems, but way to be optimistic
It's hard sometimes, But I love my SVX and always try to find a way to fix it. I guess I know where my tax return will be going.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Mountaineer

Send a message via AIM to AppStateSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
It's hard sometimes, But I love my SVX and always try to find a way to fix it. I guess I know where my tax return will be going.

don't we all......

1991 Toyota MR2 - Sold 11/27/07

1992 BMW 325i
- Tokicko Suspension
Old 01-15-2006, 05:49 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Another one for me as well

Will be looking to be a part of the 4.44 club as soon as I can wrangle the money. I lost something to my all-wheel-drive about 4 weeks ago. Been drving around with the FWD fuze in place to prevent terrible noise. Oh well, it will help my track times..

Soon to be on the 4th tranny.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 01-15-2006, 08:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
If I had someone to help with the install at a half decent price I would join the club too =(
Old 01-16-2006, 10:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Lightbulb

Welcome to the 4.44 club . I bet you will love 4.44 alot and will have fun with them.

-Pavan
Quote:
Well, As usual the SVX strikes again. Halfshaft 3 weeks ago, MAF died the day after I fixed the halfshaft, And now my tranny is on it's way out. It started a weird whirring noise today that is coming from my torque converter when in park or neutral. When you shut off the car you can hear the torque converter spin down so to speak. In gear it sounds completely normal. When cold, the tranny drops down to 4th gear at like 10 MPH and won't drop down unless I boot it and stalls the car when you come to a stop. But when warm it works perfectly normal. So, I called Svxfiles and I'll probally be getting 4.44's installed as soon as this tranny dies. I can't wait to join the 4.44 club.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
Welcome to the 4.44 club . I bet you will love 4.44 alot and will have fun with them.

-Pavan
Yeah, I can't wait! I just need this tranny to hang on for a few more weeks and then it will be time to rally the troops for a 4.44 swap mini meet.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Yeah, I can't wait! I just need this tranny to hang on for a few more weeks and then it will be time to rally the troops for a 4.44 swap mini meet.
Jason,

Are you doing the swap at Svxfiles' place in WV? If so, I should definitely be able to lend two hands to the effort!

You'll see what I mean, 4.44's are the best bang-for-your-buck! You'll drop at least 0.5 seconds in your 1/4 mile et...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Jason,

Are you doing the swap at Svxfiles' place in WV? If so, I should definitely be able to lend two hands to the effort!

You'll see what I mean, 4.44's are the best bang-for-your-buck! You'll drop at least 0.5 seconds in your 1/4 mile et...

-Chike
I'm not 100% on where the swap is gonna take place yet. It will either be at his place or at my moms outside of wintersville, Ohio. It would be great to get to meet you though and hang out. Like Svxfiles always says, "Yet another reason to come to cumberland" I'm hoping by spring to touch the 14's with this thing. I got a real nice dremel with a 40" flexshaft for christmas and I'm planning on doing the entire intake and all with it. But right now I'm just hoping to come up with enough money to do the swap plus fix my exhaust up and do some front end maintenance. You know, Since I'm not doing all the work and all. I'll make sure I let you and everyone else know where it's gonna happen and maybe we can make a medium sized mini meet out of it Jason
Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
How is your car otherwise? Do you drive around in '3' or 'D'? Manual or normal? Engine starts fine?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
I'm not 100% on where the swap is gonna take place yet. It will either be at his place or at my moms outside of wintersville, Ohio. It would be great to get to meet you though and hang out. Like Svxfiles always says, "Yet another reason to come to cumberland" I'm hoping by spring to touch the 14's with this thing. I got a real nice dremel with a 40" flexshaft for christmas and I'm planning on doing the entire intake and all with it. But right now I'm just hoping to come up with enough money to do the swap plus fix my exhaust up and do some front end maintenance. You know, Since I'm not doing all the work and all. I'll make sure I let you and everyone else know where it's gonna happen and maybe we can make a medium sized mini meet out of it Jason
Well, if it's at Svxfiles' place I'll be there. I can't promise anything if it's in OH. The beauty of Cumberland, MD is that I can help out for a full day and be back at home that same night...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-18-2006, 03:12 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
How is your car otherwise? Do you drive around in '3' or 'D'? Manual or normal? Engine starts fine?
I always use normal mode on the tranny unless I'm having fun on some twisties and want to hold a gear or if the weather gets really foul. I use 3rd sometimes when I'm cruising up alot of hills or cruising slow in traffic but other than that it stays in 4th. The car runs pretty much perfect other than a code 32 and 37 and the tranny. The sound isn't too loud when in N or P, But it's there and obviously the torque converter. It's still driving just fine though for as long as I don't drive it stone cold. I'm always hearing a slight gear whine sound now too when going around a sharp turn. Not very loud either, But noticable. I'm thinking I have the exact same thing happening to me as happened to amazonparrot. I think I have a cracked flexplate and it's beating up my torque converter.(at least I hope since that would explain my tapping noise)
Old 01-18-2006, 03:16 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Well, if it's at Svxfiles' place I'll be there. I can't promise anything if it's in OH. The beauty of Cumberland, MD is that I can help out for a full day and be back at home that same night...
Well, Hopefully I'll be able to get it there. I don't know if it will still be driving or not when I get the money. If not, Then I have no idea how to even get it anywhere. I'm trying to take it easy on it, BUT...Well you know. I just have a bad feeling it won't make it that long, but we'll see.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Talking

Torque converter is getting louder and the W-2 just showed up. looking for the rearend and tranny now and calling svxfiles.