How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Blackstang3o2

Hello

I figured id stop in and say hi. Im new to the site and to the svx..well new to subaru in general. I have now owned my 92 LSL for about 1 week now. I sold my 90 mustang lx for something a little more comfy so i got a 00 Caddy Catera and had many problems so i took it back to the dealer and they said they would take it back and get me something else thats where I found the svx. Only problem was price they wanted 8995 for it. It has 95k miles very very clean on the inside the body needs some attention though. But after looking it over i decided to take it anyway since i get a warranty. It had a bad wheel bearing warped rotors, but seemed to be very well kept oil filter and air filter was subaru parts so might have been dealer serviced the trans fluid was new and the trans was very clean compared to the rest of the driveline so i figure must have new tranny. So far i like the car other than performance i expected more from it. I do like how the car is very smooth and not harsh like the other cars in my collection. I have planned on a new factory black paint job along with alot of parts from motorsport along with already working with a local shop on possible turbo kit and using tec 3 engine management. Along with a 5 speed once i get more info and some one who can do it with no side effects. But if i do get tired of it it will be posted for sale here before anywhere else so the car has a chance to be cared for.

My current cars are
-97 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
-96 Camaro Z28 hard top
-93 F-150 Lightning
-93 Mazda MX-6
-95 Eclipse GSX
-92 SVX

If anyone knows of good places to go for my work on the svx in baltimore aera let me know. I don know much about this car myself other than what i have read. Also is getting glass a problem for this car? And factory body parts?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Hater

damn dude, i sold my '97 LSi w/70k (loaded with goodies) for $9000!

welcome to the site, hope the car gives you many trouble-free miles.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
if your looking for 5 speed swap, theres two members whom I can personally attest to: AvPPoW and TomsSVX
best of luck on the turbos, theres a bunch of threads on the subject already, dont be afraid to search
Sold a Mustang to get an svx....your on the right path. best luck to ya
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 01-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Blackstang3o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
if your looking for 5 speed swap, theres two members whom I can personally attest to: AvPPoW and TomsSVX
best of luck on the turbos, theres a bunch of threads on the subject already, dont be afraid to search
Sold a Mustang to get an svx....your on the right path. best luck to ya

I see all the threads on the turbos seems that most are still working out the bugs. They guy i plan on using to fab my kit is really good at what he does. I told him im looking for a 13 sec time slip and still have it realible. I dont think it much to ask for i see the 5-spped swap should gain me a high 14 so to drop a sec off by turbo should not be that hard. He has done many other turbo projects he did a turbo echo. He is mostly a vw guy though he has lots of 400hp vr6's running around. He has also transfered awd to old vw's as well as vr6's The the awd vr6 turbo vw fox he has. The turbo fab seems quite simple for someone with the know how time and tools its just fuel i still have to figure out. I dont want stand alone if i dont need it. Im also worried about the stalling i hear about with 5 speed swaps.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Welcome to the site.

As you have found out, the SVX was a balance of Luxury and Performance. It is a fabulous highway car, but not a great dragster.

To make it one, I think you are on the right track (no pun intended). I look forward to hearing of your progress on it.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 01-03-2006, 02:57 PM
Blackstang3o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Welcome to the site.

As you have found out, the SVX was a balance of Luxury and Performance. It is a fabulous highway car, but not a great dragster.

To make it one, I think you are on the right track (no pun intended). I look forward to hearing of your progress on it.

Doug

i cant wait to be done with it no one knows what it is much less if its has any power or not. They car is a joy to drive on the highway. It does not seem to me that parts are hard to come by. I see alot of high milage svx's on here. That makes me feel better about the car already.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Welcome to the site. That's quite an interesting array of cars you own - used to own a '00 SVT Lightning a few years back, which was quite a blast to drive.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Only problem was price they wanted 8995 for it. It has 95k miles very very clean on the inside the body needs some attention though.

I'm certainly glad to see that our cars are rocketing in value I paid 7K for my '92 with 78K, near mint interior & good body, five years ago!
I guess this is why I shun dealers.

Nonetheless, welcome aboard.

If anyone knows of good places to go for my work on the svx in baltimore aera let me know. I don know much about this car myself other than what i have read. Also is getting glass a problem for this car? And factory body parts?[/QUOTE]

Heritage Subaru in Owings Mills does reliable work. Also, Wilkins Subaru in Glen Burnie is good. For paint & body work, I recommend 5 Star Auto Body
in Harmens/Hanover, close to BWI airport. For glass I recommend a second mortgage.

You may want to check out the annual April meet in Reading, PA.
Plenty of Balti-morons around here to offer help.

Good luck, Ron

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the board and good luck with the SVX. Sounds like you are really heading to making it faster... Don't forget what else needs to be done to handle the power... Like suspension... brakes...etc. May also want to look into a PWR radiator to keep that hot burning engine cooler. The 5 speed won't hold up to much abuse while making more power. Your time and money would be much better spent on a 6 speed

Tom
Old 01-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Blackstang3o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert
Only problem was price they wanted 8995 for it. It has 95k miles very very clean on the inside the body needs some attention though.

I'm certainly glad to see that our cars are rocketing in value I paid 7K for my '92 with 78K, near mint interior & good body, five years ago!
I guess this is why I shun dealers.

Nonetheless, welcome aboard.

If anyone knows of good places to go for my work on the svx in baltimore aera let me know. I don know much about this car myself other than what i have read. Also is getting glass a problem for this car? And factory body parts?
Heritage Subaru in Owings Mills does reliable work. Also, Wilkins Subaru in Glen Burnie is good. For paint & body work, I recommend 5 Star Auto Body
in Harmens/Hanover, close to BWI airport. For glass I recommend a second mortgage.

You may want to check out the annual April meet in Reading, PA.
Plenty of Balti-morons around here to offer help.

Good luck, Ron[/QUOTE]

I have seen them cheaper on ebay just when you find one thats in good condition its hard to pass up. I have not had the chance to buy one before. I always did think it was a really neat car just dont see them. Im gonna check into replacement glass i will need a windshield soon i got a stone chip already. I have checked the thread on the meet and might be there depending on how the project goes. I should not be to far along yet part of me wants to just to a ecu tune stage 1 and leave it be. it drives so nicely. I plan on getting its apperance up to par first.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Blackstang3o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Welcome to the board and good luck with the SVX. Sounds like you are really heading to making it faster... Don't forget what else needs to be done to handle the power... Like suspension... brakes...etc. May also want to look into a PWR radiator to keep that hot burning engine cooler. The 5 speed won't hold up to much abuse while making more power. Your time and money would be much better spent on a 6 speed

Tom
Thats another thing i might consider is the 6 speed. I might wait till the auto craps out on me. I enjoy just putting it in d and hitting the road. This car is so smooth in what it does. Its a shame i could not get it down to the low 14's on motor i just like the way it pulls around town. I will be getting the slotted rotors and new pads and ss brake lines along with springs and koni's. I would like to get a big brake kit but it doesnt look like much is around for that.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

I'll second Ron's suggestion for service at Heritage in Owings Mills. Call Jimmie Schrader (410) 581-6742. They aren't cheap but the work gets done right the first time. At least that's been my experience. They were the first folks that were able to really fix my rear bearings.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 01-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstang3o2
Thats another thing i might consider is the 6 speed. I might wait till the auto craps out on me. I enjoy just putting it in d and hitting the road. This car is so smooth in what it does. Its a shame i could not get it down to the low 14's on motor i just like the way it pulls around town. I will be getting the slotted rotors and new pads and ss brake lines along with springs and koni's. I would like to get a big brake kit but it doesnt look like much is around for that.
You also should look into ecutune stage 3 supercharger instead of the turbos. It's sounds like a very well put together piece and I'm sure it makes some serious power. If you'd like to stay auto, get a tranny and rearend from an outback with 4.44 gears and you could get a tranny kit from level 10 to beef it up. And on god don't forget the tranny cooler.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstang3o2
It is very possible to drop an SVX into the 14's with an auto. Just do a 4.44 trans swap, full exhaust, stage 2 ecu and a set of custom cams and you got it! I mean, yeah there is other stuff to be done along the way but those are the major components. Don't glorify the 5/6 speed too much. Most of us that have 1/4 mile times with a 5/6speed have a fair amount of mods done to the car to make it faster. I don't see a bone stock mt break the 15 sec line without an excellent driver on a cold day. Crap with a ton of mods to my last 5mt I only hit a mid 14 on a full body car. If I had lost some weight I imagine I could have run 14.3 but thats still not "fast". But if you really want to make some power, the 6mt is the best route as the level 10 auto will cost more than the full 6mt conversion

Tom
Old 01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Blackstang3o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
You also should look into ecutune stage 3 supercharger instead of the turbos. It's sounds like a very well put together piece and I'm sure it makes some serious power. If you'd like to stay auto, get a tranny and rearend from an outback with 4.44 gears and you could get a tranny kit from level 10 to beef it up. And on god don't forget the tranny cooler.
i have been putting alot of thought into ecu tunes's kit. Im gonna hold off and see what kinda reviews their kit gets once complete. I dont want to spend 6500 for a minimal gain. The tubo has been fully priced out and will run me 5000 total using a t3/t4 ball bearing, spearco intercooler core and all stainless plumbing, that would be using tech 3 management though. I want to run the factory ecu if at all possible i dont want no driveability concerns with this car as i love how smooth it is. The ecu tune is looking good using the roots/twin screw set up as the low wnd would be great and having awd to take full advantage of it. I did have my tranny guy look at the car today. His idea is to stay auto. If i go with the outback trans with 4.44 the ecutune kit would be killer out the hole. He wants to see how long he can keep the trans alive. He has a good track record with me building my autos. The camaro has a 4l60 that is beat on often will be sitting behind a 383 with a 150 shot. The eclipse im still waiting on the stocker to die im at 95k with numerous high 12's in it. I have a fp green going on next month along with hks cams i fell by april he will be building that to.