SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Randy - if it makes you feel any better I am still driving a toyota and haven't found a decent legacy 5 spd to donate it's gearbox yet.
I feel your pain.

The salt in the wound was today when I passed the nice black SVX (identical to mine) driven by a nice older lady that I pass on the way home from work at least 3 times a week and she always waves to me or blinks her lights. But nooo, not today, she doesn't even know who I am in this stupid toyota.

I did meet a guy at the junkyard this weekend who was driving an '84 brat that he bought NEW. It was beautiful. I have been looking for one in good shape for years. I gave him my name and number and told him to call me if he wanted to sell it. I actually felt bad about the whole thing because he was interested in selling it when I asked him, but I told him to go home and sleep on it because if he's had it that long he will regret selling it. (I know I would)
I hope he doesn't call.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:18 PM

Post Mad as Hell but still alive!!!

Randy,

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your SVX. I know how you feel. On the first of this month(Feb) my car was savagely attacked by a 12 inch diameter tree while I was driving 35 mph. It came straight down out of nowhere. It was the full width of the road and there was no way to avoid it. It crushed my windshield, tore off my passanger side mirror, tore off the trim piece behind the front passenger side tire and below the door, bent back the lower body cladding piece on the passenger side door, cracked my front bumper in two places(drivers side very bottom and right below the passengerside headlight), goudged into the passenger side headlight(it's getting completely replaced), stripped alot of paint off the drivers side mirror, screwed up both of my windshield wiper arms(the drivers arm parks below the passenger side arm now), broke out the center plastic/glass strip between the headlights, goudged alot of the paint off my hood, and finally as if the list is not long enough, scraped my front passenger side rim from one side to the other(center cap included).

This all happened about one mile from my house. When I walked to the closest phone(at a Getty gas station 100 feet away) the Carlisle police said they could not respond to the accident because I was on North Middleton township property and not theirs. When they connected the owner of the Getty station(I was too busy trying to pick glass out of my hair, arms, and legs) over to the North Middleton township police they said I was on Carlisle property but would send an officer out to assist. It only took him 1/2 an hour to arrive!!! Mind you traffic is completely backed up because the tree is still all over the road and my car is still half on the road because there really is no burm to pull off onto. After the officer made sure I was okay and did not require medical assistance he had me, at about 5 mph, drive my car to my house to park it in my back yard. Not a fun trip considering I had to drive into the sun and every crack in the windshield reflected the sunlight as if there were really 10,000 suns. After we arrived at my house and he starterd to write a report he had to leave because he recieved a call for a burglary and he was the only officer on duty. He had to mail a copy of the police report to me. It did atleast arrive promptly 2 days later.

This was just part of the fun I have had since the first. On the same day of the accident I contacted my insurance company to get my claim a' movin. They took all the info they could from me and told me an adjuster from the/our parent insurance company would be contacting me in a day or two to set up a time to come out to my house to inspect the damage to my car. Two days after not hearing from them I went and got a rental car. After the third day of not hearing from them I ended up calling them only to find out they had my phone number written down incorrectly and that they passed it along to the adjuster knowing full well that it was wrong. They had xxx-88974 as my number. The last time I checked phone numbers only have 7 numbers and not 8. I gave them quite an ear full for not contacting my branch of the insurance company to get the right number. Is the world full of idiots or something??? What ever happened to caring for your customers??? Anyways..... I set up an appointment w/ the adjuster for the next day. He came out and wrote up his report. He *seemed* like a good guy. When I recieved his estimate for the car everything was priced appropriately except one item. Anyone care to guess which part????? Let me tell ya. On his estimate he had the price of the windshield(bronz glass) at $364.00. He also didn't have any labor figured in to install the glass. HELLO!!!!!!!!!! I've been arguing with him for the last week or two that the price is more like $950.00 w/o labor. It's a dealership part only. The lowest they(Cumberland Valley Motors) will sell it for(dealer to business sale) is $807.00. He finally gave in today. $807.00 and labor. It might have been because I called him no less than 4 times a day I can be so assertive when needed -- lol.

For all said and done my insurance company is writting a check for more than $4,500.00 I chose the best body shop in the area (Sun Motors - It's a Mercedes and Porche dealership) to do the work. There is no other place around that can touch there quality of work and professinalism. While they usually charge $47.00 an hour for labor/paint they have agreed to charge $40.00 to help offset the fact that my insurance company pays up $36.00 an hour. They can start the work on my car on the 25th and expect to have it for no less than a week. In the meantime they have started to order all the parts. Instead of stock the one part I am changing is the front grill. Instead of the 94' glass insert I had them order the 97' insert. Gonna have it painted silver/chrome. They also said they would attach my Japanese emblem instead of the Subaru emblem when they redo the hood. Between the two combined it should look good

Oh, I almost forgot...............

So that no money other than my $50.00 deductable comes out of my pocket I took issue with who actually owns the property that the tree sits on. I went into the Carlisle borough municipal building the other day and had a Carlisle borough worker go out to the acccident site with me to have pictures taken of the exact tree and where it sits. I am apparently in a grey area. On a map the accident literally happened on what would be the line between the two areas. They are having the zoning commision people looking to see who owns the tree. Carlisle has agreed that if it is their tree they will pick up whatever my insurance company does not(color buffing and a complete detail to match body panels and such). I am expecting to hear from North Middleton and if they will do the same if it is their tree. If I do not hear from them by noon tommorrow I will be calling them(it's that assertive part of me again -- lol). I will not get stuck footing any of the bills for something that was not my fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stressed more than usuall but hanging in there
B.C.

P.S.

Randy, I don't know what you have for a rental but I got a 2002 Toyota Solara from Enterprise. My insurance company covers $15.00 a day. The car itself is $28.00 a day. For $13.00 a day I could have done worse. It's Mica Gold in color and well equipped. While it is not the SVX it does have a nice sound system(CD,Tape,AM/FM, 6 powerful speakers). It gets great gas milage(around 30mpg) while being pretty peppy and like the SVX it turns alot of heads(has to be the headlights and tail lights-- they're pretty cool). My only complaint........I must be so used to AWD. Whenever I go to leave a dead stop I have a habit of chirping the front tires. Either it is me giving it to much gas and/or the front tires take too much punnishment because it is FWD. I do feel guilty in one way with the car. They gave me unlimited milage and let me tell ya.....In less that two weeks The car's odometer has gone from 7200 miles to over 8000 miles. Vroom What can I say.......I love to drive. If I don't have to worry about anything other than gas I going everwhere I can
Old 02-18-2002, 06:46 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Hey -

Long time no hear. Sorry to hear about your accident.

But to put in perspective, 30 minute wait is FAST response.

Here is a general Milwauke police response time:

Robbery in progress: No show, after 8 hours you can give your statement over the phone into a voice mail reporting system., They will mail you a copy of the report in 6-8 weeks.

Drug deal in progress: No show, won't take statement over phone, transfer you to drug abatement phone line that has been out of service for 3 years. You try to explain to them that drug abatement was disbanded in 1998, they hang up on you.

Assault and battery in progress: 3 hours. Take statements, write it off as a domestic squabble because the injured has no medical insurance, so no ambulance is called.

Shooting in progress: 1.5 hours. Take statement, leave. Don't look over crime scenes, don't collect the 15 shell casings laying on the sidewalk.

The best part is that the property values are skyrocketing, several million in new properties have been built on empty lots and the property tax base for our neighborhood has gone form $36,000 in 1996 to $750,000 in 2001 and our police force is continuing to get cut.

Hmmm, which mayor's pocket is the money going in...

Sorry about the rant. I just want people to appreciate the police service they have.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 02-18-2002, 06:50 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
YIPE!!!!
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:28 PM

30 mins is quick but...........

Doug,

Wasn't really trying to make it sound like I do not appreciate the police. I was more upset that neither the Carlisle borough police dispatch or North Middleton township police dispatch wanted to send help because my accident happened in the "grey area" between the two. Ironically my accident happened on the same road that North Middletons police, and municipal buildings sit on. The Carlisle police have always been top notch in my opinion. Several of them are personal friends. The N.M. Police I have never dealt with so I cannot say for them. What I can say is that because both sides did not want to respond a vollenteer firefighter with a scanner was the only person who showed up to help the other drivers stuck in the back-up to clear the tree and other debris(alot of glass) out of the way. I do apoligize though if I made it out to sound like I do not appreciate the "police". My brother was a cop and I know they take a beating trying to help all they are dispatched to help and protect. I guess you could say I have more of a problem with the dispatchers not wanting to care because of a line on a map. Does that make sense?

I hope all is well w/ you!!!
B.C.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:31 AM
One teal and One yellow

Smile Re: Mad as Hell but still alive!!!

Very long!!! Do you have any pictures of your car's damage? If yes, you may not need to type so long. Anyway, that's good that you have full coverage! Oh I don't have full coverage on mine
- I don't have to drive it daily. How much do you pay for your full coverage insurance for six months in PA?

That's good that you're not hurt and still alive!!
Is SVX an safe car?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-19-2002, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Very long!!! Do you have any pictures of your car's damage?
I wasn't aware we had a place to put pics until after I had type out such a long post. Sorry I do have pics in my "personal locker". I'll try and put up some more later.

Quote:
Anyway, that's good that you have full coverage! Oh I don't have full coverage on mine
Quote:
I don't have to drive it daily. How much do you pay for your full coverage insurance for six months in PA?
Boy am I happy to have full coverage. It seems every year my car is brutally attacked in some odd manner. Being covered in diesel and hydralic fluid to being attacked by a tree. My kinda luck(or lack there of).

As for my insurance costs........

94' SVX LSI (bordeaux pearl)
26 years old
male
clean record (only ever had two speeding tickets and one was coming back through NY from the vermont meet)
No deductables over $100.00

Discounts for:
Airbags
ABS
not causing any accidents(I like this one alot. It shows my ins. co. has an appreciation for good drivers)
Alarm(I fibbed and said it was passive)

Grand total: Around $800.00 a year

B.C.