How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-11-2005, 09:18 PM
SVXtra

I was going to buy an SVX

When I thought about how much it costs to maintain and repair a late model SVX I said no thanks. Considering the cost of repairing a less than robust transmission and the replacement costs of a factory windshield are astronomical. So decided I'm going to buy a used Mk VIII EVO next year. There faster,they handle better,parts are easier to acquire and with a little luck I might even have some warranty remaining on the car....
Old 07-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Green1995SVX

I'm glad you did your research! It's a shame when we see people who buy an svx because it looks "cool" and goes fast, but dont figure in the maintenance expense of a premium car. It's what's poluting the market with unfortunate poorly maintained SVXen. Best of luck to you with the Evo!

Mike
Old 07-11-2005, 09:41 PM
SVXtra

I must admit

I did a great deal of my research here at the subaru-svx.net I would often come here and sometimes read for hours over the course of several months trying to make a decision. I have found this wed site to be one of the most articulate and informative I have visited during my extensive research on this subject. I wish to thank all the members here for there thoughtful and informative posts. Now I can only wonder how many 56 year old retired obstetricians are cruising around Northern Virginia in EVO's....

Last edited by SVXtra; 07-11-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
What's up Doc?

SVXtra,
I understand the results of your research may have led you to the "dark side" but one must consider all the unmeasureable factors of SVX ownership as well. The pleasure I get every time I gaze upon the beauty of my increasingly rare, thanks to the aforementioned lack of care by the unprepared/unwise owners, beauty overrides the "fastar" factor that seems to rule the decisions of many. You must have missed the underlying love most of us have for our cars. Every mile I spend touring, smooth and quiet, reminds me why I'm here on this board. Reading/asking to learn the tricks of maintaining my sultry beauty without breaking the bank, and understanding that it might end any moment, ruined by some inattentive moron, or other act of fate. Cars cost $$ to keep on the road, and my SVX, driven daily, and traveled in by choice, may be one of the few opportunities this "near retirement previous boy-racer" may have to drive such a thing of beauty without talking to a mortgage broker. I hope you find other mature, helpful owners on the EVO-net, but can't help but wonder how much "spam" you'll have to wade through to find them. Make mine SVX!

Glenn

Sorry to beer-ramble, here in my hotel room missing home, but not my SVX down in the lot . I'm certain other more articulate folks might make a more convincing case, as well as make you wonder about the regret factor down the road.

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 07-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Well said Glenn. I think I could be considered a lover of the SVX and I know that I enjoy it as much or more than any other high performance car I have driven. It is not the speed, the handling that makes me feel the pride when I am in my SVX, but the extreme lack of knowledge of what the heck it is. All of the questions that I get at the gas pump, and the amazement of people when they find out it is a Subaru! The SVX is not just a car, but a way of life for most of us. If we didn't have to look for parts, and wonder when we were going to have the next problem, we would probably drive them more and ware them out!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 07-12-2005, 12:51 AM
Kiteless

I got my SVX because it goes fast and it looks cool.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
So decided I'm going to buy a used Mk VIII EVO next year. There faster,they handle better,parts are easier to acquire and with a little luck I might even have some warranty remaining on the car....

Might want to check out the EVO reliablity. From what I've heard they have a very much less than stellar record. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used performance orianted car like this so early in its life. You know the person who owned it definately abused it and wants to move on.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:22 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Unreliable SVX

I think the unreliability of the SVX has been seriously overhyped. My wife's cars over the past few years have included an Audi 5000s, which needed a new transmission at 56,000 miles, a Nissan Maxima, which had a transmission rebuild at 60,000 miles and a replacement at 90,000 miles, and a Mazda Millenia S, which required a transmission rebuild at 105,000 miles. The Audi was a total mess in terms of repairs, we sold it at 65,000 miles after replacing several steering racks, power steering pumps, an AC compressor, a radiator, an engine computer, a transmission computer, several window regulators, and a sunroof operator. Other than the transmission the the Nissan was pretty good. The Maza was also pretty good, but, when we sold it at 115,000 miles, it was burning oil, had oil leaks that were too expensive to fix, and had a starter that wouldn't engage in cold weather (unfixable after a starter replacement and several attempted repairs), and was generally loose and sloppy. My daily driver before I entered SVX land was a Porsche 911 (11 years), I spent a lot of money on repairs for it, (clutch replacement), had to be towed several times (a little water in the gas leads to fuel injection system corrosion that can only be cured by replacement of the entire fuel injection system; liquid lock due to wide open stuck injectors is an interesting phenomenon), but still it was an absolute ball to drive around.

I am now on my second SVX. I took my 92 from 75,000 miles to 120,000 miles, then bought a 94 with 74,000. The 92 transmission was getting a little iffy, but a Smallcar shift kit seemed to shore it up pretty well. Replaced one rear wheel bearing. My 94 now has 83,000, and I have spent a fair amount of money on mods, but maintenance has been nil. When I look at the cost of these same mods for a BMW or a Porsche, they would cost 3 or 4 times as much. An engine chip for one of these cars costs the better part of $1000, compared with $219 for the Ecutune Stage 1. Ben's drilled and slotted rotors and SS brake lines cost me about $400, while the same stuff of a Porsche is well over $1000.

My final analysis is that this is a pretty damn reliable car, that is a ball to drive (can't wait to get my GC/Koni setup on the car), and is a real bargain to mod up. Just think, I can put in a 5 speed for the same amount of money I spent to replace the automatic in the Mazda.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 07-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Cruising

I took a trip yesterday--only 300 miles round trip--all interstate. I set the cruise control somewhere north of 85 and just relaxed. Sigh-------------such a wonderful drive. That is what this car is made for--not dashing from light to light. Have one of them with just under 200,000 miles. I doubt you will ever see an EVO around that long.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-12-2005, 09:59 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
When I thought about how much it costs to maintain and repair a late model SVX I said no thanks. Considering the cost of repairing a less than robust transmission and the replacement costs of a factory windshield are astronomical.

My 95 w/ 160,000 miles has most of its original parts, including the transmission. Even my seals and gaskets are holding up well. I'm still on my original valve cover gaskets and head gaskets.

As for expensive glass: that's what glass insurance is for I've had two windshields and one rear window glass installed for $0. In fact, my glass insurance is so cheap that with those 3 repairs I'll be ahead of the game for years!

I'll take an Italian-crafted limited production car over an EVO anyday. Street racing is for kids. I'd rather ride in style.

Have fun!

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 07-12-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:59 AM
red95svx

sssssssssssssssssssssss
Old 07-12-2005, 10:02 AM
red95svx

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Old 07-12-2005, 10:02 AM
red95svx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!

Sorry, just having some fun!

Dave
Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
While you may not choose SVX for it's problems (as far as I know the only two that it's most prone to are Wheel Bearings and Transmissions), I would still stay with a Subaru. My Legacy has just over 140k miles and looks and drives like it's brand new. All subarus I see in the paper and online almost always have over 100k miles and while they may not look quite like brand new, they still drive like it. Subarus are well known for their reliability and their easyness to maintain and keep like new. In the time we've had my Legacy, it has never let us sit anywhere. It even sat in an airport parking lot for 2 weeks and started up the very first time when we got back.

My '91, minus the rust around the wheelwells and dulled out hood and bumpers, is clean and shiny everywhere else (then again, I am a car freak). The SVX's can be kept just as well. You can even get away without replacing the tranny as long as you don't drive like a maniac. However, I'm in agreement with most people here: It takes money to maintain a car. However, if kept properly from the start, or even mid-life, the car can last forever and the costs are very little.

Just FYI, the only thing that's ever been replaced on my car is a rear-passenger side bearing and the exhaust system. Otherwise, all the major parts are stock.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi

Last edited by Manarius; 07-13-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:20 PM

My car had the familiar SVX woes when I bought it (failing wheel bearings, cracked radiator, bum antenna), but since those repairs, in 23,000+ miles of everyday driving, only the crankshaft pulley has let me down. (The battery died a few weeks ago and I tried my best to blame it on the alternator, but hey, it was just a dead battery.) Given the car's quality and style, and in view of the price of a comparable, late-or-new model, I feel I'm driving a bargain. I've coaxed two Subarus (and a '68 Ford Mustang) beyond the 200,000 mark and have no reason to believe my SVX won't get there, too.

dcb