Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Registered Abuser

Maybe you guys have already seen this, but in case you haven't...

Acetone in gas tank at 3 oz to 10 gals did wonders for me. Click on the link below for my(DR.Q) results near the bottom of the page. The second link is to the original article that clued me in.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...279739#1279739

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Stephen

Last edited by elninoalex; 07-08-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Hitchhikin'

Nice info... I'll stop by a supermarket and pick up some acetone before making my 400-mile drive later today....

Anybody have any references/anecdotes involving the use of tuolene? I heard that stuff was supposed to help with power and throttle response.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:53 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
Anybody have any references/anecdotes involving the use of tuolene? I heard that stuff was supposed to help with power and throttle response.

Do a search. Chike has some experience with this stuff and posted a lot of info not that long ago.

Dave
Old 07-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Hitchhikin'

Thanks, I knew I read it on one of the forums I visit, but didn't realize it was this one.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Mr Soob

Unhappy This is not a flame - it is a DESPERATE WARNING!!

Ok, where do I start? Oh yeah... If you are a chemical engineer, by all means go ahead and try this in a lab. Anyone else DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS!

Do NOT, repeat DO NOT believe everything you read on the internet. I have seen countless 'infospots' saying how you should add this or that to your engine, etc etc.

Answer yourself the two questions that the people that put up these sites forget to ask themselves, or delude themselves with:
1) Why don't fuel companies do it?
There would be something in it for them, certainly. They can charge you for AceGas, at a premium, and make a killing because they aren't using their precious oil reserves while working at the market price plus extra for the additive. I call 'bull$#!^' on the fighting tooth and nail against it... if they saw an opportunity like this they'd be buying up every source of acetone and adding it to the fuels. So that raises a red flag right there.
2) Then why is it on the internet? Surely because of the oil companies supressing the bad media, right?
Well, if it's such a brilliant stroke of genius, why aren't chemical engineers doing it all the time? Oh, wait - and has anyone got their check from Bill Gates/AOL, and seen that Taco Bell dog run across their screen from forwarding all those emails??
=============================

- What does Acetone do?

Stick it on stuff yourself. Experiment... but don't leave it on your skin. It's pretty drastic stuff. I've seen a high school science teacher strip paint off a desk with this stuff, and it does no good to seals/rubber hoses and the like. It is used to dissolve fake fingernails. Don't get it anywhere near paintwork. You have been warned.

- What happens when I put it in my fuel tank?

a) It contains water (about 5%). Water = rust. It would also condense in the combustion chamber... ever thrown a couple of teaspoons of water into an engine intake? Ok, it's a small amount, people will say not enough to cause any dramas... but are you going to risk it?
b) It decreases the ignition point (or 'flashpoint') of the fuel. Note the high compression ratio of the SVX make this a HUGE no-no.
c) The various nasties in Acetone will burn to create some pretty big nasties in the atmosphere - carconegens and some half-formed stuff that likes to steal molecules from other compunds. Acetone also contains Ketones which are pretty rude all by themselves. All up, you can get nerve damage, kidney/liver damage... I need go no further.
d) Any plastics/rubbers/polymer substances (teflon rings? not sure) with begin to degrade faster. (It can begin to pit and degrade some metals, apparently??). The the weak link here would be IMHO cat-converters and oxygen sensors. I wouldn't expect them to put up with it.
e) Storing reasonable quantities of acetone around the house is not exactly awesome safety practice, and for the love of (insert deific being here) don't carry it around in the car!

- So shut up McTaff, I just want to know does it work?

Short answer, yes, increased milage.
Long answer, yes, but you could end up costing yourself more than the few bucks at the pump... your car, your money or your health. And don't come flaming at me with the "McTaff is in bed with the oil company" - I have nothing to do with them. If you read very carefully, that article is really an advertisement to sell their products (oil filters and the like).

- But I saw it on some performance thing on TV!

Fuel additives have been used, with varying success, to vehicles modified to take them. Acetone is one of them. This also includes Methanol, Nitrobenzene (yummy, almonds), Nitromethane, Benzole, Ether, Propylene Oxide.... these are tried, tested and work with the correct equipment.

- Man, did someone barf in your cereal this morning McTaff? You're such a cynic! They tell you you don't need heaps! Just a little. That'll be ok, man.

They tell you you only need tiny amounts, and the tiny amounts won't have the detrimental effect in the way I've put it here.... But did the cigarette manufacturers tell you about cancer, emphysema, heart disease? "But it's in oh-so-small amounts! Not enough to hurt you!"

It's a scam. Marginal facts just prettied up to sell stuff, ignoring/brushing off the dangers - and it's been around for years! Don't believe everything you read.

(edit - fixed my totally screwy spelling)
'93 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (55,000km, 1 previous owner) Not For Sale
'92 SVX Black on Burgundy > Completely stock, under preservation, treated like a princess. (144,000km, 2 previous owners) Not For Sale
Wife, Red Hot when riled > Treated like a princess. Minister For Finance, Domestic Affairs and Diplomatic Relations. Definitely Not For Sale
My Wanted List: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...178#post632178

Last edited by McTaff; 07-10-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:40 PM

Props to the Aussie, I will not touch it.
1993 SVX Anniversary Edition #64
Old 07-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Not all bad.

In the years that I raced two-strokes, we used 5% Acetone as a catalyst, to allow the Castor oil we used, to mix with the petrol/Benzole fuel.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
The negitives seem to outnumber the positives. If you want more power get nitro.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:10 AM
DoLittle

nitro to dangerous just use 100LL/Avgas that's the Sh!t!...

or if you wanted to get freaky you could run 100LL+Acetone+Nitro=Zoom. Zoom?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoLittle
nitro to dangerous just use 100LL/Avgas that's the Sh!t!...

or if you wanted to get freaky you could run 100LL+Acetone+Nitro=Zoom. Zoom?

I see that you don't really know what the "LL" means in 100LL. It means Low Lead. It has a small amount of lead in it. ANYTHING with a catalytic converter should absolutely NOT run any fuel that has lead in it. Airplanes and motorcycles don't have converters, so they can do it without harm.

Dave
Old 07-11-2005, 11:26 PM
DoLittle

Hey bro that was the hole point. It’s not something you would want to run in your engine.

But just in case you did not know 100LL octane burns hotter then 90 octane.
So on track day once every month when your auto x-ing you could stop by your local FBO and fill up your tank and you will run quite a bit faster times. and if you let a car sit for along time it’s not a bad idea to run some 100LL to clean out your engine.
Now I think being in aviation for the last 4 years I would know a little bit about what I’m putting in mine plane.

--------------------

To get more in depth when I say fill up I mean mix 90 octane with 100LL.
Now it is true that your catalytic converter would get plugged in time so it would be best to stay away from anything with lead but if you do away with your catalytic converter then running strata 100LL would give you a lot more power with not so many problems.
Next step would be to put some of that Jet-A with priest in that baby.

Last edited by DoLittle; 07-11-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 AM
red95svx

Quote:
and if you let a car sit for along time it’s not a bad idea to run some 100LL to clean out your engine.
Now I think being in aviation for the last 4 years I would know a little bit about what I’m putting in mine plane.

10 years as a pilot has taught me not to mess with avgas

And I've never heard of anyone using leaded gas in an engine designed for unleaded just for the purpose of cleaning it out. There are plenty of commercially available products that do a good job of cleaning your engine and are a lot less harmful than running leaded gas!

Dave
Old 07-12-2005, 12:58 PM
DoLittle

Quote:
Now it is true that your catalytic converter would get plugged in time so it would be best to stay away from anything with lead
-DoLittle.
For Old Rally VW's it works great. Though they were made for leaded fuel.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:42 PM
red95svx

Quote:
For Old Rally VW's it works great. Though they were made for leaded fuel.

Exactly.

Dave
Old 07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
SVXtra

In reality

If your in the market for some 100 or perhaps even 110 octane racing gas why not purchase it from Sunoco and have it delivered to your door? For about the past three months or so Sunoco has approved shipment of there racing gas to customers all over the U.S via UPS in there specially designed 5 gallon shipping containers. I purchase 100 octane gas on occasion for my 67 Shelby Mustang from world wide racing fuels out of New Canton Virginia.