How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Kiteless

Buying my first SVX tomorrow.

Hey all, well now that I have done the check in I thought I would post some info about myself. I am 26 and live in Northern California. When I first saw the SVX I fell in love. So tomorrow i am buying a 1995 Blue SVX L with 109,000 miles on it. It is in good shape. A few little minor scratches and a cracked windshield. The guy I am buying it from said his windshield guy quoted him $300 for a replacement. He is also redoing the breaks and he said that it got new berings all around. I read the FAQ, and I doubt they used the long lasting synthetic grease. No matter when they start to go again in like 50K miles I will know what to do. The transmission seems like it is in good condition. It is the automatic, I would have rather had a stick, but I do not mind going back to auto for a while.

DO not worry about telling me to use the search, I have already learned alot about the SVX thanks to the search. I do not know about "the big problems" till I came here but decided to go with the car anyway, will be fun to work on and I am sure it is a lot of fun to drive. Anyway, hope to talk to you all more often. Thanks all.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:37 AM
The Quadriplegic Mime

Good luck with the car man! I hope that person who quoted you really knew how much it costs for the replacement. I had to pay $950 for a new windshield that was cheapest in my area, and I searched and searched.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Kiteless

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Youch, I hope hw is right too. Well when you have a car where they sold less than 15K of them in your country, things like windshields are going to be had to find. I hope he is right too.

I am basically of the thought, is the transmission any good? If so then we are all set. I guess besides the tranny, I am mainly worried about how hard it is going to be to find parts for it. I have no idea if it uses Sub parts or what. I would thik that the dealer would be able to get me anything that I needed. I have not done a search in the forums to try and get an idea how hard it is to find stuff yet. While I am sure that it has been descussed, if anyone wants to give me an idea of how hard it is or expensive it is to find parts please let me know. And also what a new/rebuilt tranny goes for.

Oh and I attached pictures of my soon to be SVX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MySVX00.jpg (35.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg MySVX01.jpg (40.7 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg MySVX02.jpg (32.5 KB, 209 views)
Old 06-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Windshield

My windowshield repair guy also shot me a cheap price early on, but then he found out that it is a dealer ONLY item. Price at dealer is about $930. I suspect you are really looking at about $950 with dealer discount and labor added back in.

Your seller should consider this in price to you, but I think you will enjoy the car after you get it.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 06-14-2005, 02:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Nice! She looks simply amazing from the pictures. Laguna blue is one of my favorite colors (and kinda rare). You'll have to get a spoiler on there.

You can expect to pay $3,000 for a tranny rebuild/replce... more or less (more, most likely). Since you'd prefer a manual... you could just do a manual conversion.

I'm with these guys... I have always heard somewhere around $1,000 for a windshield replacement. Kinda big... and has that darn titanium (right?) coating.

I'm sure you'll love the car (and probably more so with the 5-speed in).

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 06-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
I've never seen anything other than a '92 without a spoiler. Nice find!

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-14-2005, 08:05 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Looking good.....now get a spoiler

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-14-2005, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteless
I have not done a search in the forums to try and get an idea how hard it is to find stuff yet. While I am sure that it has been descussed, if anyone wants to give me an idea of how hard it is or expensive it is to find parts please let me know.
Depends upon what you need. For example: Gray floormats? There aren't any. But routine stuff like belts, hoses and filters are readily available at any auto parts store. "Dealer only" items can take a few days to ship from a Subaru warehouse. (No genuine Subaru replacement parts could be described as cheap.) And this forum's Wanted of For Sale section is a good resource to check for used parts.

good luck,
dcb
Old 06-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Certified Porschephile

Didn't the L have the blue windshield, and the LSi the bronze, or did it go but exterior color? My 94 LSi was red and had the bronze. I found a 95 with the blue windshield on Friday. I think it was a L.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_SVX
Didn't the L have the blue windshield, and the LSi the bronze, or did it go but exterior color? My 94 LSi was red and had the bronze. I found a 95 with the blue windshield on Friday. I think it was a L.
L has the non-metallic glass.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Kiteless

Wowe, thanks for all the replies. Glad to hear that the more common parts are just that. Replacing the windshield is going to be a priority for me, because the crack is right infront of the drivers position. Only down side is that I have not test driven it yet. I am going to test drive it today right before I sill out the paperwork. I REALLY hope that it is OK. My main concern is the transmission, evertything else is comparitively less expensive to fix for the most part.

As far as I could tell the window has a factory tint on it, not too dark, but enough to be noticable. Yeah he is probly blowing smoke out his tail pipe on that window quote. But I will call him on it. He claims he will sell it to me whole sale, but I doubt he got a real quote. He problem just assumes that it is going to cost the same as a Honda Accord or something.

Yeah I am really into getting a spoiler for it, at the same time, it looks kinda cool without one. Obviously I am going to make sure it is mechanically trip top and I have worked up a "Tranny Fund" before I do anything else to it. Very first thing I am doing this weekend is taking it down for a full fluid flush. What ever their best tranny fluid is, best tranny filter and an oil change, probly go with high milage stuff at first and eventually move to synthetic if you guys think I should use it.

But yeah inside and out the car is really clean. I will take higher res pictures this weekend at the latest. I got the batteries for my digital cam charging at home as I type this.

Pure_Insanity8: If I where to have to replace the tranny in the future, what would the perice diff be betwen a new/rebuilt auto and a manual conversion.

I sure am glad I found you guys!

- Kiteless
Old 06-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Certified Porschephile

DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANNY! My 94 LSi was running great when I had it flushed. Only 55k on it and the tranny blew less then a month later. Then it blew again 3 weeks later after being fixed. If it wasn't all under extended warranty I'd had been on suicide watch. After the second reapir it held up OK for the next year and a half, then I got rid of her for a very low mile SUV. I to this day wonder what would have happened if I didn't have it flushed out.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:22 PM
J. Bond

Send a message via AIM to ~*~JenSVX~*~
Ooo very pretty car... but the back wheels are on backwards!!! Woooo I finally get to be the one to be the first to notice it!!! lol ...

Jen

www.longislandsubaruclub.com

LISC member #50
Old 06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~JenSVX~*~
Ooo very pretty car... but the back wheels are on backwards!!! Woooo I finally get to be the one to be the first to notice it!!! lol ...

Jen

First time eh.....we all remember our firsts

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Certified Porschephile

The rears aren't backwards, the fronts are. The "sweep" is supposed to point forward. I looked at a bunch of photos, and they all point to the front.