Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Little everyday things to help the SVX last.

Do any of you do any “little things” to help your SVX last longer? I am not talking about the usual maintenance items or washing and polishing the body or washing off the salt from the suspension but other things that you do everyday while using the SVX.

Here are a few things that I do.

1. I do not put the passenger or driver window down all the way. Why? A habit I got into with power windows in case the window gets stuck but I also think it may save that plastic clip that breaks. You know that plastic clip that when it breaks the window stays down. When the window goes down it sort of falls the last ½ inch or so and thuds.

2. I only play the cassette tape in one direction and flip it over at the end of the tape. I also smack the tape on its side. This forces the tape to the top of the cassette and reduces the drag for the tape drive components.

3. I turn off all the switches before I shut off the engine. I think this saves the relays for the cruise control and other electric items that cut out when the engine is turned off or started.

4. I use the winter wiper position on very light misty days. You know those days when you hit the mist button and then about a minute latter it’s time again? This keeps the blades on the window and I think it saves the wiper linkage mechanism instead of returning to the “hide away” position each time.

5. I try to keep my hands off the suede arm rest/door pull when I close the door. That suede gets dirty from continuous use over time. I curl my fingers inside the pocket and pull with my finger tips so that my palm isn’t touching the suede.

6. I leave the antenna up and turn the radio volume down when I get a cell phone call. This way the mechanism for the antenna isn’t going up and down all the time.

7. I never let the fuel tank go dry. It is very bad to run the fuel pump with no gas in it. I don’t buy gas every day, just every other day.

8. I always release the passenger seat back and slide the seat forward for the person getting into the back seat. I had the seat hang up once when it was moved without the seatback being fully forward. What a pain in the butt it was to get it working again.

9. I don’t use the auto up or down on the driver window. Mine was broken for years and after I fixed it I saw the cause of the problem. Appling either auto position causes the plastic in the switch lever to crack and eventually the switch will not work at all.

10. In slow "stop and go" highway traffic I use the manual button and keep the tranny in 2nd. This avoids the continually shifting that comes with stop and go traffic and keeps the tranny in 2nd gear.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter

3. I turn off all the switches before I shut off the engine. I think this saves the relays for the cruise control and other electric items that cut out when the engine is turned off or started.

But doesn't that wear out the switches prematurely?
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Let’s see, from your list I do #3, 4, 6, 7 (for the most part), and 8.

I actually leave my wipers in "winter mode" all the time. One, so that I don't have to wait when I just want to use the mist function, and two, so it saves the mechanism like you said.

The only time the passenger sun visor is used is by a passenger. Even when I put a sun shade or something, I don't use it. (In that corner I stick the sun shade to the velcro for my toll-tag.)

I also drive in 3 a lot around town.

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 03-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I don't think I would recommend #10 as starting in 2nd will generate a lot more heat in the tranny. Depending on the speeds you might be able to just use 1st and 2nd gears.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:02 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I don't think I would recommend #10 as starting in 2nd will generate a lot more heat in the tranny. Depending on the speeds you might be able to just use 1st and 2nd gears.
I don't recommend staying on any gear in traffic, because if you push the brake pedal while in traffic and the shifter on 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, you will heat up the tranny, and little by little you will start feeling a vibrating effect from your car (as it happens with Hondas). i prefer using up the shifter itself and never my car's mechanics.
in case of traffic, just put "N" when cars stop and "D" when the road opens up again...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:35 AM
Hater

Quote:
1. I do not put the passenger or driver window down all the way. Why? A habit I got into with power windows in case the window gets stuck but I also think it may save that plastic clip that breaks. You know that plastic clip that when it breaks the window stays down. When the window goes down it sort of falls the last ½ inch or so and thuds.
mine used to do that until i fixed it. i think there is a bump stop or something that came loose (can't remember - happened when i first got the car). i secured a piece of rubberized foam to the bottom of the door frame, and the window has been fine for the last three years - no more "thunk".

Quote:
2. I only play the cassette tape in one direction and flip it over at the end of the tape. I also smack the tape on its side. This forces the tape to the top of the cassette and reduces the drag for the tape drive components.
what the hell is a cassette tape?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 03-29-2005, 05:20 AM

Oh my SVX has a rather sharp shock when shifting from 1st to 2nd and it gets worse when the tranny is very cold or very hot. I used to shift to N when the SVX was stopped but most days in traffic I am not stopped for longer than about 5 seconds. So at least with my SVX I found that just leaving it in 2nd (manual) works pretty good with very light acceleration. If it looks like I will be stopped for a long time, more than a minute, I shut the engine off.

I used to have a working tranny temperature gauge and I found that driving in 1st, 2nd, D or shifting to N when stopped made no difference in the temperature after about 20 minutes of stop n go. ON the way home it sometimes can be "stop n go", up hill, for about an hour or so with speeds ranging from zero to about 30mph continuously. (Not the best ride for a clutch unless your leg is real strong. ) The tranny is always shifting between 1st and 2nd if I let it and as it gets hotter the shock from 1st to 2nd gets worse. Oh yeah the 4EAT has been doing this since the day I got it, about 130k miles ago.

What's the best thing to help the tranny have a long life? Drive with the TC locked all the time. This means "drive alot on the highway".

Now I remember “The Foam” for the window stop. I hope I remember the next time I’m in the door. Thanks

What’s a cassette tape? It’s one hell of a hard thing to scratch.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Do any of you do any “little things” to help your SVX last longer?
Yes, drive a beater to work.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:47 AM
Hater

Quote:
What’s a cassette tape? It’s one hell of a hard thing to scratch.
if you put as many miles on the SVX as i think you do (a lot!), why not get an MP3 player? no scratchy, and put weeks worth of music on it for your long commutes. arrange your own playlists, too - chillin', rock, blues, classical, WOT

cassettes - ACK!

Old 03-29-2005, 11:02 AM

If I had a beater I would be "beat" when I got to work and "just about dead" when I got home. I would become the "beaten".
I enjoy commuting in the SVX.

I listen to books on tape or CD most days and I haven't seen any for the MP3 players. Maybe sometime soon?
Old 03-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Hater

Quote:
If I had a beater I would be "beat" when I got to work and "just about dead" when I got home. I would become the "beaten".
I enjoy commuting in the SVX.
i hear ya - i almost wish sometimes i had a nice highway cruise for a daily commute to enjoy the SVX in its element, but my daily trip isn't that long.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Little things to help my svx last longer?
............drive my wife's svx while mine stays parked!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:02 AM
0h n0es!

Send a message via ICQ to IggDawg Send a message via AIM to IggDawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
what the hell is a cassette tape?
It's used in backup drives to backup CDs. They have similar devices for DVDs. You can even still get the DVD backups in Blockbuster and the sort. Apparently some people still have the tape drives to run them.

-IggDawg

1992 Teal SVX LS-L 160k miles
4.11:1 final drive, K&B dropsprings, ART front rotors, stainless steel brake, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712's, K&N drop-in filter. Previously owned by Alacrity024. FOR SALE

1994 SVX LSi, Barcelona Red #1659, build date 11/93, 117k miles, RIP
ECUtune stage 1, bead crush, smallcar shift kit, TB bypass, SS brake lines, silencer removed, alternator and grounding wires, Mobil1 @ 117k