SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-16-2004, 05:03 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Unhappy Got the SVX but not all spick and pan

I finally got the 1993 SVX to the mechanic and eventually bought it. But it turns out mileage, transmission and wheel bearings aren’t the only things to look out for. What I first thought must have been un-ever break pads turned out to be a bit more. The front brakes just have uneven break pads, but the back ones seem to be rather rusted. The ones on the right are in fact so rusted that it does not even work. Either that or it could be much worse with the hydraulics being inoperable and such, I didn't get a clear answer from him or he did not check up on how extensive it is. Also, the mechanic said that there is a slight oil drip from the camshaft area.

So that means I need new break pads in the front and a whole new set of brakes in the back, calipers and all. Not to mention new tires At least my transmission is good so far.

So does anyone know where to get, rotors, calipers, pads and tires for a good price or perhaps ones of good quality?

Funny part is despite all this, it is probably the best condition out of all three SVXs for sale I have seen and for the other looked up, plus phones about.

Last edited by Weebitob; 11-16-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Hater

http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

http://www.subaruparts.com/cart/?pn=22633AA080

...and PM SubaruPartsGirl.

let us know who has the best deal!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Don't forget Liberty Subaru w/Car & Driver discount of 25%
Old 11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
will u be attending the LBI meet on the 17th of december? check out the thread in up comming meets under possible NJ meet.

P.S. i ussed to live in Morris Township on hanover ave. theres also a fellow svxer right off hanover by quikcheck. If u can find it, leave a note on his car for the network.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:03 PM
The Kind of Casual SVXer

Send a message via AIM to Weebitob
Registered SVX
Its a blue one, right? I remember somebody here told me it was for sale. Then when I got there, after looking around Quickcheck, I found it. I looked in and around the SVX for a For Sale sign or any clue that it was for sale. Other than a couple of people that leered at me I found nothing, so I left disgruntled. Is the owner a member of this forum?

As for going to the meet, I'm sorry to tell you but that’s the same date I am going to a concert with my friend, it's at the Rex Plex. However, in case if the concert falls through perhaps I'll see you there.

And according to the Subaru parts store, each whole brake costs about $704.30. Count the fact that I might have to replace all four and that number turns into roughly $2817.20. So my mechanic is right, it would cost around $3000 to fix my car's brake problem.

But the thing is I do not know what parts are major and probably needed, if not all. I figured that parts 3 and up were relevent. Can you take a look?

Perhaps I can get a better price from SubaruPartsGirl, I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Weebitob; 11-16-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Hater

are they so bad the calipers cannot be rebuilt? you would save a lot that way. you could even do it yourself and save even more. do a search - there's a how-to on here somewhere, with part numbers, if i remember correctly. you could even check out already re-built calipers if you didn't want to do it yourself, but still save a few bucks.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:05 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Be careful if rebuilding them yourself, it's not as easy as it seems.

My new front seals popped out, causing the pistons to freeze. The rears however are still fine

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 11-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Weebitob
And according to the Subaru parts store, each whole brake costs about $704.30. Count the fact that I might have to replace all four and that number turns into roughly $2817.20. So my mechanic is right, it would cost around $3000 to fix my car's brake problem.
i think $90 sounds a bit better than $700, no?

http://www.brake-parts.com/brake_cal...001-parts.html

Old 11-17-2004, 09:19 AM
THAWA

As far as calipers go for the rear, they're the same as all the legacy wagon calipers up to 99 and impreza wagon calipers up to 98. So there's a place to get some used ones if you need em.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:25 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I got a set of front autospecialty semi-metallic pads (similar to the green stuffs) off ebay for like $25 shipped and they have been excellent. If you buy the front and rears he gives you free shipping, so it'd probably be about $45 for both sets. I got them from seller allbrake, I'm not sure if he still has any available, but you might want to check it out.

If you want the rear calipers from me, I have a spare set that I rebuilt, but they are painted a metallic reddish. I can give you them for $65 shipped for the pair.

If your rotors can't be turned, you should be able to pick them up for about $75/pr, as long as you don't want cross-drilled.

Total cost about $350, not $3000

Edit: Just realized you're in NJ, if you wanna pick up the calipers they're yours for $55

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 11-17-2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Hi guys,

I too need 'a' new front rotor and 'a' back rotor... if anyone is having lemme know with price including shipping...

thanks,
Pavan.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut
Hi guys,

I too need 'a' new front rotor and 'a' back rotor... if anyone is having lemme know with price including shipping...

thanks,
Pavan.
Usually good to change these in pairs. i.e. when replacing the front do both, when replacing the rear do both. You do not want uneven braking as the car will pull from one side to the next. They also usually wear about the same unless there is a frozen caliper on one side.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 11-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXer95
Usually good to change these in pairs. i.e. when replacing the front do both, when replacing the rear do both. You do not want uneven braking as the car will pull from one side to the next. They also usually wear about the same unless there is a frozen caliper on one side.
hmm... i thought that someone is goin to give me this suggestion, annyway thanks for ur concern...

actually wht happened is i changed my reamining 2 as soon as i bought the car, but haven't changed other remaining two... but as i feel the effects of them by having uneven vibrations at high speeds while braking... now i want to change the reamining 2....

Pavan
Old 11-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Weebitob
Its a blue one, right? I remember somebody here told me it was for sale. Then when I got there, after looking around Quickcheck, I found it. I looked in and around the SVX for a For Sale sign or any clue that it was for sale. Other than a couple of people that leered at me I found nothing, so I left disgruntled. Is the owner a member of this forum?

they are not a member, and i am sorry for misleading you about that car but i never meant it was for sale. The meet is in the morning so amybe u can make it.

I am asking you to maybe stop by that guys house and leave a note on his car saying:

Hi,
I used to live in the brown house on the other side of Hanover next to the firehouse. I always saw your SVX and envied it. I now own two and i find this forum to be very fun and helpful. www.subaru-svx.net . Join us and sign up.
Sincerely
Tom Johsnon
A.K.A. tomssvx

P.S. we are holding an SVX meet december 17th on Long Beach Island. If you care to join call me at (609) 276-7279.

Last edited by TomsSVX; 11-17-2004 at 11:04 PM.